U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2020, 07:40 AM

10,268 posts, read 12,981,782 times

Advertisements

Just curious on where everyone stands on the opening of the beaches, shops and restaurants.

I will start by saying that I am really going to miss the beach until it opens, but I am 1,000,000% behind the current plan to reopen. I personally have lost 2 cousins to this dreadful virus. While, I remain very concerned about what the face of Rehoboth Avenue will look like, I support erring on the side of caution. The impact of this will be felt for years to come and not just this year. Economically, I am concerned about the budget for the state this year, as well as next and for the livelihood of all the shopkeepers and restaurants.

I might feel a little bit differently, if I did not live in such a tourist supported area, but still not enough to want to see this handled in a different manner.

How about you?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2020, 05:06 PM

7,533 posts, read 8,722,874 times
First off, sorry for your loss.

I think all states should follow the White House’s criteria of two weeks of declining cases before states can begin to reopen. I like the phased approach my governor outlined:

I suspect Gov Carney is probably following a similar scheme. There are certain thresholds that need to be met to move through the phases. More rural parts of PA with just a handful of cases will move into the yellow phase early next month. It will be much later in my neck of the woods. It is also more likely to be a while for life to return to in Delaware as well, given the per capita caseload.

I share your concern about the economy. It’s likely to be a bloodbath everywhere, but beach businesses are at even greater risk if parts or all of summer are lost. We have a good friend who runs a business in a Rehoboth, and we understand the challenges he and his employees face. Hopefully he’ll make it, but even he wants to be safe rather than expedient.

We have a soft spot for Rehoboth. We were supposed to return for a week there next month, but that’s off. We’ve assured our lessor that while we’re disappointed, to please hold a spot for us next year. As long as we’re all smart and patient, we can reduce the number of cases over time and slowly begin to once again enjoy the places we love.

Old 04-25-2020, 06:30 PM

643 posts, read 282,079 times
I am also totally in favor of a measured phased-in approach.

I'm curious what all your thoughts would be on when to reopen the beaches. As much as I love going to the beach, which was a factor in our decision to move here, I'm thinking if they kept them closed, it might prevent the population from suddenly growing, as it does most summers, and making social distancing near impossible to observe. While the residents can't possibly make up for the loss of a "real" summer season, it may allow the businesses - stores and restaurants - to do well enough to survive another year - while also giving locals a measure of a return to real life in the new normal.

On the other hand, we don't venture into the resort area very often during the summer season, but stick to the outskirts, as do many of our friends. If they did open the beaches and things became as crowded as normal, it probably wouldn't be all that much different for us. We will just be more likely than ever to wait until the peak season is over to frequent the stores and restaurants in the downtown areas of Rehoboth and Lewes.

The reality is that no matter how they approach this, my husband and I will most likely proceed with caution and wait and see what happens.

Old 04-26-2020, 07:20 AM

10,268 posts, read 12,981,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndyb View Post
I am also totally in favor of a measured phased-in approach.

I'm curious what all your thoughts would be on when to reopen the beaches. As much as I love going to the beach, which was a factor in our decision to move here, I'm thinking if they kept them closed, it might prevent the population from suddenly growing, as it does most summers, and making social distancing near impossible to observe. While the residents can't possibly make up for the loss of a "real" summer season, it may allow the businesses - stores and restaurants - to do well enough to survive another year - while also giving locals a measure of a return to real life in the new normal.

On the other hand, we don't venture into the resort area very often during the summer season, but stick to the outskirts, as do many of our friends. If they did open the beaches and things became as crowded as normal, it probably wouldn't be all that much different for us. We will just be more likely than ever to wait until the peak season is over to frequent the stores and restaurants in the downtown areas of Rehoboth and Lewes.

The reality is that no matter how they approach this, my husband and I will most likely proceed with caution and wait and see what happens.

I agree and that is our plan. Our concern is that you can't fix stupid. We were cabin fevered out and went for a ride to the state park. We were driving through the Gordons Pond area and were beyond astounded at the number of parked cars that were vacant and we wondered if they were all walking around. We soon got our answer, no they were hanging around in groups. And I don't mean 3 or 4. Maybe 20.

California has opened some of their beaches and the rules are interesting. You are allowed on the beach but there is no sitting or sunbathing, you have to keep moving. The cop was asked by the reporter how they are to handle those that disobey. He said they are warned to keep moving and it is the hope that they will comply, but they do have the option of arresting if they find complete disregard for the rules.

Old 04-26-2020, 08:04 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,365,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
[/b]

I agree and that is our plan. Our concern is that you can't fix stupid. We were cabin fevered out and went for a ride to the state park. We were driving through the Gordons Pond area and were beyond astounded at the number of parked cars that were vacant and we wondered if they were all walking around. We soon got our answer, no they were hanging around in groups. And I don't mean 3 or 4. Maybe 20.
Wow! I am assuming they were younger?? I know younger people are not really wanting to social distance. I haven't noticed any issues here with groups, but I am going to a park today so who knows.

Sorry to hear about your losses, Nuts. That's very sad. My friend is still hanging in there, thank goodness.

To answer: yes, I pretty much agree with everyone else who has posted. I agree with the governor's plan and I agree that we should keep places closed until the cases drop even though I am not happy about not having my races and events, not dining at my favorite places, and not taking walks on the boardwalk and eating Thrasher's, etc. I really miss my three go to dining places we've been going to for many years and the people who work at Cottage Cafe, Nicola's, and Carrabba's (west OC). However, I am not rushing back out when places reopen either--definitely going to wait and see.

Old 04-26-2020, 09:09 AM

643 posts, read 282,079 times
We also went for a ride into Rehoboth yesterday to put two envelopes in a blue post office box in front of the Rehoboth Post Office - to get out. We then drove along to the Gordon's Pond area with the thought of possibly walking around the trail. When we got there, we saw a slew of cars and a lot of bicyclists. We decided to return another day at a time that would likely or hopefully be less crowded, as few people were wearing masks.

We miss getting together with friends, often over a meal at one of many restaurants. I'd like I'd like to support the local businesses whenever they open, I think I'll initially stick to stores. I saw an interview on CNN with Dr. Sanjay Gupta, during which he showed a graphic of Coronavirus spread in a restaurant resulting from a study. I've attached a link to the interview in case you hadn't seen it and would like to see it - the graphic comes at about 2:30 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXT_Jv3sCcY

So sorry for your loss, nuts2uiam - and hoping your friend recovers, beachliz. I've been reading about "quarantine fatigue" and how increasing numbers of people aren't staying at home as time goes on. I don't know about all of you, but we're going out LESS as time goes by. I am VERY glad that the Governor is starting to require people to wear masks in public, as the very few times we've gone out to complete a transaction or supposed contactless pick-up, the people we've dealt with weren't wearing a mask, as we'd been told they would be. We wear masks and would feel much more comfortable dealing with others who are as well.

Here's to hoping we all are able to remain well.

Old 04-26-2020, 09:44 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,365,197 times
Thanks for posting that video, lndyb. It's very alarming, but it doesn't surprise me. It's why we quit going out before the restaurants were closed and did not partake in our usual St. Patrick's festivities such as going bar hopping and seeing bands. We are going out less often as well. I'm going out tomorrow for groceries and it will have been three weeks since I stepped into a store. I feel bad not supporting my local places (although some are closed anyway), but I'm not risking it. I did support my local bike shop though (contact free!) by having them tune up my bike and replace a tire this past week. Of course, the local market and liquor store is getting some of my $$ as well.

I started wearing a mask before most everyone else did too. I never go inside a store without a mask although I would find exercising to be difficult with one. I think I am going to start wearing my running buff anyway as some of my running friends pull theirs up when they see another person approaching.

Old 04-26-2020, 10:16 AM

7,533 posts, read 8,722,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndyb View Post
I'm curious what all your thoughts would be on when to reopen the beaches.
Walking the beach can be a great way to clear our heads and escape the constant reminders we are on shutdown. If people would follow the rec’s and wear masks and social distance, then we could all enjoy what the beach offers. But people won’t do that. Here in PA we’re supposed to wear masks when outside. Strolling Center City yesterday, about a third of the people out were not wearing masks and of those, about 3/4 were 20-somethings. And they had no problem breezing past us on our left and right.

The beach should unfortunately remain closed because there are is a sizable number of entitled people who don’t care if they pass a potentially lethal illness on to the rest of us.

Old 04-26-2020, 10:35 AM

8,200 posts, read 11,858,435 times
I'm a Kent County native, zip code 19934, and stats show Kent County is doing the best of our 3 counties.....so far, but no guarantees. I'm with the ones here that think opening our state before it's safe would be a big mistake. But, unlike some others, I don't miss Rehoboth Beach and boardwalk. We haven't been fans since the 1940's or 1950's, when we built a bonfire along the ocean at Indian River and slept in a rag-tag tent....no crowds, no rules. I do feel for those who are missing their favorite thing at Rehoboth/Lewes/Dewey/Bethany, and as a business person, I certainly feel for the businesses who are suffering from the lack of revenue. Easy to say, but "patience"....this will be over in due time. We're longing for the day when we can do our local thing, sitting on the dock of the bay at Bowers Beach (Kent County) and watching the fishing boats unload their catches of the day! While waiting for our fish being prepared, we're at the bar (a retired boat), enjoying some adult beverages, and dancing on the dock to live music.... a different band every weekend (no shoes, no problem). Other entertainment is watching locals swim across the canal from South Bowers Beach to North Bowers, to join in the fun. Dripping wet, we always make room for them at the boat bar. Just old-fashioned, small town fun...memories we hope to repeat soon.
Be safe....In Delaware: masks mandatory in public settings.

Link: Virus Map of State of Delaware dated 4/25/20 (scroll down for map)
https://coronavirus.delaware.gov/

Last edited by rdlr; 04-26-2020 at 11:11 AM..

Old 04-26-2020, 11:20 AM

6,654 posts, read 7,384,998 times
I'm going to make an optimistic prediction. By mid summer there will be no more virus detected in southern Delaware. The heat, sun and humidity is going to put the zap on this crap!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware