U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2020, 08:15 PM

56 posts, read 78,353 times

Advertisements

So I'm originally from New Jersey and live in Texas. Where can a young couple relocate to with job opportunities and a reasonable cost of housing?

We don't have any kids, don't care about being in a big city but do prefer to be around convenient stores and a gym. Other than that, not too concerned about much else. We hate areas that are like Philly and Baltimore with houses attached to each other.

What are mortgages like in Delaware?

I left North Jersey because it's too crowded and expensive. I don't want to pay thousands per year in property taxes or unnecessary stuff. I don't want to be too close to the beach in case another hurricane hits the area (i was in NJ during Irene and Sandy).

I think both of our jobs are pretty easy to find in any state and we've been working through the entire lockdown. Even if we don't move soon, we still want to know what areas to look in and what we can expect to pay for a mortgage. Ideally we would want to buy a house under $200,000. Delaware is small and close to my hometown so I don't care if it's north or south Delaware.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2020, 11:37 AM

10,270 posts, read 12,981,782 times
What kind of jobs do you each have? You might want to start there before you consider housing areas. Salary ranges? That way we can let you know what you might be able to expect here.

Old 05-02-2020, 01:41 PM

5,253 posts, read 2,595,631 times
With Irene and Sandy you may already be familiar with the rain/flood/wind effects of hurricanes so just wanted to mention if you're concerned about surge/coastal flooding from hurricanes the NHC offers official surge mapping here (change storm category to see diff water heights): https://noaa.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Ma...935fad&entry=1

Old 05-04-2020, 06:01 PM

170 posts, read 103,585 times
We moved from DE to TX just this past year. We have found housing cheaper in TX than DE. Depends of course on area in each state where you are looking. Although our property taxes are very high in TX, there is no income tax. We actually from a financial stand point come out better in TX.

May depend on your jobs and the salaries you make in each state which comes out better financially.

Old 05-17-2020, 10:04 PM

56 posts, read 78,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GigiTer View Post
We moved from DE to TX just this past year. We have found housing cheaper in TX than DE. Depends of course on area in each state where you are looking. Although our property taxes are very high in TX, there is no income tax. We actually from a financial stand point come out better in TX.

May depend on your jobs and the salaries you make in each state which comes out better financially.

That's been my concern with Texas. I live in Austin and taxes around here are very high. Aren't taxes in Delaware very low?

Old 05-19-2020, 06:38 PM

8 posts, read 3,126 times
Property taxes in DE are low, in comparison to many other states, and there is no sales tax. To compare DE to TX, you may want to play around with the calculators at https://smartasset.com/taxes/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware