Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2020, 06:12 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times

Advertisements

Well, there was a war between the OC City Council and Gov Hogan and it looks like the little guy has won, as least so far. There has been an ongoing dispute between OC and the Gov on opening this up and apparently they are going ahead. No masks required either. Stupidity for certain, but then this is JMO.

Ocean City To Reopen Beaches on May 9 - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2020, 07:02 AM

829 posts, read 629,262 times
We saw that this morning on the news and were a bit surprised. I had thought all the area beaches - to include OC MD - were going to move in conjunction or coordination with one another, but so much for that. It'll be very interesting to see how Governor Hogan responds. Apparently OC found a loophole.

I guess the reality is that nobody is forcing anyone to go. I grew up and lived in MD up till last year and love the OC beaches and boardwalk, so as much as we'd love to go, we'll be waiting. I wonder if they're actually allowing the boardwalk businesses to open or just allowing people to walk on the beaches and boardwalk? It'll be really interesting to see what develops.

Old 05-05-2020, 07:17 AM

I do have a little "inside" info on this. Apparently the city council and the gov. were going at it over jurisdiction and it had been going on for a few weeks. We were all supposed to move together, but OC is concerned about their bottom line and all the reservations that are now cancelled and are being cancelled. They wanted to test the waters now so that maybe they can open by Memorial Day for good.

I am hopeful that Rehoboth is not going to follow suit and go rogue from the Governor. I really don't think they will, but who knows these days. As far as the no masks go. that is simply insane stupidity.

Old 05-05-2020, 07:55 AM

189 posts, read 154,022 times
From one article I've read, OC officials were framing this as mostly a benefit to local residents -- to give them more outdoor space to walk around in (with social distancing still in place.) The hotels and restaurants are still largely closed, along with the most of the Boardwalk businesses (maybe some takeout stuff), so, as they stated, it's not as if anyone could realistically go for more than a day trip, anyway.

Old 05-05-2020, 08:31 AM

439 posts, read 425,527 times
Marylander's were surprised as well, The death count today went from 44 to 74.

It's a nice thought that it will "be for locals" and I hope that works but it isn't usually the case. One thought it's supposed to be cold and windy on Friday and Saturday so it should help limit people.

Until these numbers improve we are following the rules in Central MD.

Old 05-05-2020, 09:28 AM

1,559 posts, read 1,048,631 times
I saw online pictures of a beach somewhere----didn't catch where it was---that had orange cone markers to create spacing between different groups.

Perhaps that would work if the beaches were patrolled and proper spacing strongly enforced.

Old 05-05-2020, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
I saw online pictures of a beach somewhere----didn't catch where it was---that had orange cone markers to create spacing between different groups.

Perhaps that would work if the beaches were patrolled and proper spacing strongly enforced.
Rehoboth has curtailed the number of seasonal employees including the beach patrol. So that option won't work for here.

Old 05-05-2020, 11:02 AM

829 posts, read 629,262 times
Here's an article from the Baltimore Sun. Maybe I'm interpreting it incorrectly, but they seem to contradict themselves in terms of responding to questions whether this is in violation of Governor Hogan's Stay-At-Home other than for essential travel directives. https://www.baltimoresun.com/coronav...5ny-story.html

I would think that Mayor Meehan of OC may be finding himself at odds with the Mayors of our DE beaches, which are acting in a far more cautious and measured fashion, at least to date. Maybe I'm seeing something that doesn't exist, but I found the comment that they wouldn't be monitoring for out-of-state tags almost an invitation for visitors - and maybe a little bit of a dig at DE, who has been pulling over cars with out-of-state plates?? It'll be interesting to see how this "test" goes.

Old 05-05-2020, 11:36 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,911,661 times
OC is right down the highway for us and spend a lot of time there. We love walking the boards, eating Thrasher's, walking around the inlet, and just hanging out there all day. However, we won't be going as much as we would like to get back to our routine. I've gone close to two months without traveling outside of my area; I'm sure I can last awhile longer. I enjoy being healthy and not spreading a virus.

Old 05-05-2020, 12:18 PM

189 posts, read 154,022 times
Yeah, I definitely think the OC government is playing a little fast and loose, saying all the right things but with a nudge and a wink to those who are irritated with the stay-at-home order. But as long as the restaurants and facilities remain closed, it is probably true that people from more than an hour away or so aren't likely to be showing up at the Boardwalk in droves.

I myself will continue to abide by Gov. Hogan's order. I have gone nowhere but the grocery store, and for walks in my small, somewhat-cut-off neighborhood (in which it is extremely easy to "socially distance" while out for a walk.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware