U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2020, 01:06 PM

7 posts, read 2,320 times

Advertisements

There's an affordable home I love in a relatively safe, beautiful neighborhood in Wilmington, but it's zoned for schools with 1/10 Great School ratings in Christina School District. I truly do want to send my kid to a diverse school with active parent involvement, but I just don't think a school where my kid would probably be the only middle class white kid counts as diverse. The charter options in Wilmington don't seem too great (lots of bad news coming out of Odyssey, and I have mixed feelings on Montessori schools), but correct me if I'm wrong. I'm also opposed to private, unless the school is genuinely high-performing and committed to equity, instead of one of those privates with underpaid teachers without licenses that exists primarily to keep middle class+ kids out of public schools.

Supposedly you can choice into other school districts? How does that work? How difficult would it be to, say, choice into a decent elementary in Red Clay? If my child choiced into Red Clay, would my child have a better chance at the high schools (Cab, CSW, Conrad, etc) than someone who isn't IB for Red Clay and never went to a Red Clay school? Or should I just give up on this neighborhood and pick something zoned for schools in Red Clay or Brandywine? Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2020, 09:53 AM

306 posts, read 411,747 times
Your chances of sending your child out of zoned school depends on how many other parents are applying to send their kids to that school. Keep in mind, with choice schools you don't get public transportation. I think your best bet to the buy in the neighborhood of the schools you want if those houses are within your price range.

Old 05-11-2020, 11:56 AM

70 posts, read 61,612 times
Many of the more highly rated non-charter schools have a large proportion from outside of the school boundaries. The choice process is integrated, so it's a single process you apply for.

Old 05-11-2020, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus7 View Post
Many of the more highly rated non-charter schools have a large proportion from outside of the school boundaries. The choice process is integrated, so it's a single process you apply for.
So I apply in one app, but I can try to choice until multiple elementary schools? Is there a maximum number we can rank? Thanks!

Old 05-11-2020, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoveitMoveit View Post
So I apply in one app, but I can try to choice until multiple elementary schools? Is there a maximum number we can rank? Thanks!
Yes. I don't know the limit. Have you checked out the school choice site?
https://www.schoolchoicede.org/
I didn't do the application myself, but in the school my kid was zoned for many came from other areas.

Keep in mind that I think for zoned schools the buses will not go out of zone. Buses for non zoned schools, like Odyssey, may go to more disparate locations, but I don't know myself how that works. I think Brandywine Springs might be one of the sought after elementary schools that's not too far from downtown. But I only know about my own school, really.

Old 05-17-2020, 09:35 PM

170 posts, read 101,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus7 View Post
Yes. I don't know the limit. Have you checked out the school choice site?
https://www.schoolchoicede.org/
I didn't do the application myself, but in the school my kid was zoned for many came from other areas.

Keep in mind that I think for zoned schools the buses will not go out of zone. Buses for non zoned schools, like Odyssey, may go to more disparate locations, but I don't know myself how that works. I think Brandywine Springs might be one of the sought after elementary schools that's not too far from downtown. But I only know about my own school, really.
Corrrect that buses will not go out of feeder pattern bus zone. Brandywine Springs I would not consider near downtown or even close commute. Odyssey Charter would be closer for a downtown commute.

Old 05-17-2020, 09:40 PM

170 posts, read 101,292 times
OP - As it is right now a Non-Red Clay household has little chance getting into Cab, Conrad, Charter of Wilm., DMA. It does not matter if child was successfully choiced into a Red Clay elementary. The admission process starts all over for entry into middle and then again high school. It goes by the family’s address. Out of district can apply but only gets in IF there are empty seats AFTER all Red Clay students who wanted to go were admitted.

Old 05-18-2020, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GigiTer View Post
Corrrect that buses will not go out of feeder pattern bus zone. Brandywine Springs I would not consider near downtown or even close commute. Odyssey Charter would be closer for a downtown commute.
OP was considering knocking out Odyssey. The Brandywine Springs zone is sprawling and you might be able to have the kid catch a bus not too far from Wilmington proper. I don't know much about the Brandywine school district schools that might be more accessible.

Also, given age is for elementary school I was limiting to that.

Old 06-04-2020, 04:58 AM

Thanks everyone! We're actually looking now to live between Newark and Wilmington due to where my job is now. But thanks for the info on choice; we definitely want to buy in Red Clay... It just seems like they do a good job with options for different learners from the little I know of it.

Old 06-10-2020, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoveitMoveit View Post
Thanks everyone! We're actually looking now to live between Newark and Wilmington due to where my job is now. But thanks for the info on choice; we definitely want to buy in Red Clay... It just seems like they do a good job with options for different learners from the little I know of it.
Update: We're under contract! I noticed that we're closer to Brandywine Springs and Linden Hill than we are to the school we're zoned for... I feel like students should get choice preference over others in-district if it's closer to them than their assigned school. That's how it works where we live now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of: