U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2020, 01:08 PM

900 posts, read 1,046,092 times

Advertisements

I am in a 55+ community with a pool. It has been uncovered since April, filters running, water warming up, weather has been perfect, but now we are being told we can’t use it because of State regulations. In fact, we have been told State Police have been told to drive thru our community to ensure no one is at the pool. Is this how it is at other 55+ communities, too? Looks like I’ll have to get a state park pass and do a long drive daily if I don’t want to have a miserable summer. Are any other community pools open?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2020, 08:54 PM

10,238 posts, read 12,935,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree2011 View Post
I am in a 55+ community with a pool. It has been uncovered since April, filters running, water warming up, weather has been perfect, but now we are being told we can’t use it because of State regulations. In fact, we have been told State Police have been told to drive thru our community to ensure no one is at the pool. Is this how it is at other 55+ communities, too? Looks like I’ll have to get a state park pass and do a long drive daily if I don’t want to have a miserable summer. Are any other community pools open?
We are in a HOA but not a 55+. Our board is asking all to sign an indemnification letter. In order to use the pool we are required to bring our own chairs and wipes. We must sign in once we enter on a sign in sheet. Only the pool is to be opened and no bathroom or shower as they are in our clubhouse and gym And they remain closed.
If your pool is only for the community and guests then it is considered a private pool and a certificate needs to be filed with the Dept of Public aHealth. Your pool is then not subject to any regulations by them.
There are several HOA’s that are not opening their pools here. I wish we were not opening. There are too many unknowns in my mind to ensure MY safety and therefore We have no plans to use the pool.

Old 06-07-2020, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
We are in a HOA but not a 55+. Our board is asking all to sign an indemnification letter. In order to use the pool we are required to bring our own chairs and wipes. We must sign in once we enter on a sign in sheet. Only the pool is to be opened and no bathroom or shower as they are in our clubhouse and gym And they remain closed.
If your pool is only for the community and guests then it is considered a private pool and a certificate needs to be filed with the Dept of Public aHealth. Your pool is then not subject to any regulations by them.
There are several HOA’s that are not opening their pools here. I wish we were not opening. There are too many unknowns in my mind to ensure MY safety and therefore We have no plans to use the pool.
Thanks - the pool is just for our community, so I guess private. I don’t want my summer ruined, so am looking at a pool club tomorrow and driving down to the State park beaches later this week. I’d rather not have to drive close to 90 miles a day 6 or 7 days a week, for the next 3 months, so I’m hoping the pool club has membership spots available. I will have to give up my volunteer work for the summer as well, since even the pool club is miles away. Not really convenient, but better than not having an enjoyable summer.

Thanks for the info. Enjoy your summer.

Old 06-08-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Thanks - the pool is just for our community, so I guess private. I don’t want my summer ruined, so am looking at a pool club tomorrow and driving down to the State park beaches later this week. I’d rather not have to drive close to 90 miles a day 6 or 7 days a week, for the next 3 months, so I’m hoping the pool club has membership spots available. I will have to give up my volunteer work for the summer as well, since even the pool club is miles away. Not really convenient, but better than not having an enjoyable summer.

Thanks for the info. Enjoy your summer.
Before I would join any club, I would ask what state regulations are keeping your pool closed. FWIW, we looked into them thoroughly and for us, which sounds like yours, there are no state regs that apply to a private pool. They maybe skittish about the cleaning though and that is a good point. It is puzzling because the DPH will tell you that they do not regulate private pools, but the lawyers and insurance companies are instructing us that there are regs that need to be followed, so you are not subject to a lawsuit in the event someone contracts the virus. The board admitted that it might be impossible to trace where someone contracted the virus, but we could always be subjected to a lawsuit, in the event someone got sick. Regardless of outcome, it would cost the community to defend itself. These regs are changing like lightening and before you incur an any expense I would check what they are talking about. Also, a pool club that caters to the public also is under very strict guidelines and you may not be granted membership at this time.

https://coronavirus.delaware.gov/wp-...ols_052820.pdf

Old 06-08-2020, 10:33 AM

643 posts, read 278,996 times
I would definitely recommend you call the pool you'd like to join to make sure they're open - and that they're accepting new members - before you take the time and make the effort to drive there. It's my understanding that under Phase 2, which I believe goes into effect 6/15, pools can have only 60% capacity. I know of one that will open to existing members only and you have to reserve for "space" - be it swimming laps, taking an exercise class, a lane for self-directed exercise, etc. That will likely change when they move to Phase 3 or they end the State of Emergency.

Old 06-08-2020, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndyb View Post
I would definitely recommend you call the pool you'd like to join to make sure they're open - and that they're accepting new members - before you take the time and make the effort to drive there. It's my understanding that under Phase 2, which I believe goes into effect 6/15, pools can have only 60% capacity. I know of one that will open to existing members only and you have to reserve for "space" - be it swimming laps, taking an exercise class, a lane for self-directed exercise, etc. That will likely change when they move to Phase 3 or they end the State of Emergency.
thanks - if I can join the club, I will as I doubt our pool will open. We are being told maybe July - summer will be half over.

Old 06-08-2020, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Before I would join any club, I would ask what state regulations are keeping your pool closed. FWIW, we looked into them thoroughly and for us, which sounds like yours, there are no state regs that apply to a private pool. They maybe skittish about the cleaning though and that is a good point. It is puzzling because the DPH will tell you that they do not regulate private pools, but the lawyers and insurance companies are instructing us that there are regs that need to be followed, so you are not subject to a lawsuit in the event someone contracts the virus. The board admitted that it might be impossible to trace where someone contracted the virus, but we could always be subjected to a lawsuit, in the event someone got sick. Regardless of outcome, it would cost the community to defend itself. These regs are changing like lightening and before you incur an any expense I would check what they are talking about. Also, a pool club that caters to the public also is under very strict guidelines and you may not be granted membership at this time.

https://coronavirus.delaware.gov/wp-...ols_052820.pdf
they are being vague - we would need to hire someone to monitor, etc., and that costs money. The board members don’t use the pool so don’t care. I mentioned I saw an open pool at another 55+ place (land lease community) and was asked “would you like your fees to be as high as their fees are”? Their fees are high because they are land lease, not because their pool is open. I am sure ours won’t open this summer, so I’m trying to come up with something for myself for the summer. We already lost 3 weeks and the weather has been so good. I had a suggestion made to me to bring my hose outside and wet myself down - geez, what a great way to spend a hot summer. What’s next - looking for an open fire hydrant?

Last edited by retiree2011; 06-08-2020 at 08:01 PM..

Old 06-08-2020, 08:00 PM

Quote:
they are being vague - we would need to hire someone to monitor, etc., and that costs money. The board members don’t use the pool so don’t care. I mentionedI saw an open pool at another 55+ place (land lease community) and was asked “would you like your fees to be as high as their fees are”? Their fees are high because they are land lease, not because their pool is open. I am sure ours won’t open this summer, so I’m trying to come up with something for myself for the summer. We already lost 3 weeks and the weather has been so good.
Our way around is bring your own furniture and wipes. They are not hiring anyone here. The pool company can send some one @$20 per hour. Now the other wrinkle is that people are complaining that the amenities they pay HOA fees for have been shuttered since April 1 and they want a rebate. I prefer the beach and will go once I see that people are behaving. If I use the pool at all it will not be til July or August.

Old 06-08-2020, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Our way around is bring your own furniture and wipes. They are not hiring anyone here. The pool company can send some one @$20 per hour. Now the other wrinkle is that people are complaining that the amenities they pay HOA fees for have been shuttered since April 1 and they want a rebate. I prefer the beach and will go once I see that people are behaving. If I use the pool at all it will not be til July or August.
you’re lucky to be close to the beach - for me almost 100 miles round-trip. I am headed down that way Friday and will look at the beaches, but the stories I hear about traffic, plus that 100 miles a day make the pool club seem preferable. Thanks for the info - we have a board meeting this week - no residents allowed - but I will be attending as a committee chairman and can maybe hear something.

Thanks again for your helpful information.

Old 06-08-2020, 08:09 PM

Quote:
you’re lucky to be close to the beach - for me almost 100 miles round-trip. I am headed down that way Friday and will look at the beaches, but the stories I hear about traffic, plus that 100 miles a day make the pool club seem preferable. Thanks for the info - we have a board meeting this week - no residents allowed - but I will be attending as a committee chairman and can maybe hear something.

Thanks again for your helpful information.
No residents allow at a board meeting? They wouldn’t try that here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware