U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2020, 11:25 PM

85 posts, read 41,671 times

Advertisements

Just curious if there are any unusual risks in DE for rabbits or a large outdoor dog? Being from MD and now living in VA, I'd assume no but want to be sure. I was surprised to learn of many risks in FL. Thank you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2020, 09:08 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,369,088 times
I had my rabbits in an outdoor pen at one time in my secluded backyard....no more. So much drama. I had problems with a fox going up to the pen and staring at my rabbits, trying to figure out how to get to them. We kept chasing it away. Now, we have coyotes. I also had an issue with two loose dogs barking at and trying to terrorize my rabbits. The dogs were aggressive towards people as well so it was a huge issue. I wound up calling animal control who never did catch the dog; I dealt with it on my own (legally). This is all in a very populated town too--far from rural.

Here's a really strange one--I once had a rat (somebody's pet that got loose or was released) try to get to my rabbits when they were in a low pen. It stood on its hind legs and tried to bite their feet! I raised the pen so the rat could not reach them which solved that problem.

Dogs--I don't have one, but coyotes would be my biggest worry. We only have one venomous snake--the copperhead. It doesn't really climb or go after anything other than small rodents, and they aren't aggressive. I'd imagine there are many more risks for dogs in Florida though.

Old 06-15-2020, 08:18 AM

2,916 posts, read 1,105,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjwoll View Post
Just curious if there are any unusual risks in DE for rabbits or a large outdoor dog? Being from MD and now living in VA, I'd assume no but want to be sure. I was surprised to learn of many risks in FL. Thank you
I don't believe in outdoor animals. Dogs are pack animals and should live inside with their family/pack. In some states are the rules about how long you can leave a dog outside. It's frown upon, and in many places, it's illegal..

Old 06-15-2020, 11:35 AM

8,209 posts, read 11,875,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjwoll View Post
I don't think there there are any unusual risks for outdoor dogs in Delaware. This is an agricultural state and many farms have outside dogs, and those with larger lots have dogs outside within fenced yards. We had a couple of German Shepherd dogs on our 160 acre farm a few years ago that ran loose all over the farm, and slept in our large barns. They loved chasing the Canada geese off our freshly grown wheat fields, and splashing in the pond. As old Delaware farmers, we never believed in having animals in the house, and our Amish neighbors still think the same. But these days, as times change, and with all the veterinary services available, having indoor pets is more prevalent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware