U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 07:51 PM

2,113 posts, read 4,182,807 times

Advertisements

112+ new cases reported at Bethany Beach area. And will probably keep rising.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2020, 08:34 PM

10,194 posts, read 12,879,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
112+ new cases reported at Bethany Beach area. And will probably keep rising.
If I understood what I heard, those cases are a result of the Epworth church testing and are all over this area. I must say I don’t know how many were tested, but that number to me is surprisingly low, as I was anticipating a huge increase. They are doing additional testing this week at Starboard and Big Fish. So those numbers will be very interesting for sure.

On another front, Governor Carney is making an announcement early this week on A phase 3 timetable and I wonder if he is going to close the bars and restaurants down again. Or maybe the beaches.

Old 06-29-2020, 02:15 PM

537 posts, read 162,107 times
I plan on stopping at Rehobeth Beach on my way to visit my family in Delaware for the weekend of the 4th. I will probably just go for the day on July 2. I want to be out of there by the weekend proper.

I really never liked crowds much to begin with, but this time I don't like them for a good reason. My base will be a family owned place near the Boardwalk (my relatives are letting me park there and use the shower so long as I clean it afterwards). Usually I go with the extended family when I visit and we just walk straight out to the beach from there because we usually have older people with us, but, I figure, it's just me and I don't mind hiking to a less crowded spot. About how far north would I need to go on the beach to avoid the crunch of people? If memory serves me well, I am thinking past the end of the boardwalk would work. I don't mind some people, but I hate when they are so close that I can smell their suntan lotion and hear them talk. But I want to be near a guard because I plan to go out and ocean swim.

Also, when I leave I am thinking about stopping at Grotto's on Route 1 or maybe the one on Rehobeth Ave. I hate the pizza wear I live and always crave Grotto's or Nicola's when I am back home. Are they doing proper social distancing?

Old 06-29-2020, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingLiberty1919D View Post
I plan on stopping at Rehobeth Beach on my way to visit my family in Delaware for the weekend of the 4th. I will probably just go for the day on July 2. I want to be out of there by the weekend proper.

I really never liked crowds much to begin with, but this time I don't like them for a good reason. My base will be a family owned place near the Boardwalk (my relatives are letting me park there and use the shower so long as I clean it afterwards). Usually I go with the extended family when I visit and we just walk straight out to the beach from there because we usually have older people with us, but, I figure, it's just me and I don't mind hiking to a less crowded spot. About how far north would I need to go on the beach to avoid the crunch of people? If memory serves me well, I am thinking past the end of the boardwalk would work. I don't mind some people, but I hate when they are so close that I can smell their suntan lotion and hear them talk. But I want to be near a guard because I plan to go out and ocean swim.

Also, when I leave I am thinking about stopping at Grotto's on Route 1 or maybe the one on Rehobeth Ave. I hate the pizza wear I live and always crave Grotto's or Nicola's when I am back home. Are they doing proper social distancing?
Your choice will be dictated by where the life guards are positioned unless you want to put your towel etc down and take a walk. You will probably be fine down by Grenoble Place unless the crowds are bigger than I think they will be.

Sorry I am unable to answer about Grotto as I have stayed away from town unless doing a drive around due to lack of masks.

Old 06-29-2020, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Your choice will be dictated by where the life guards are positioned unless you want to put your towel etc down and take a walk. You will probably be fine down by Grenoble Place unless the crowds are bigger than I think they will be.

Sorry I am unable to answer about Grotto as I have stayed away from town unless doing a drive around due to lack of masks.

Thanks! I wish I actually paid attention in the past. I always walk from about Virginia Ave (where my family sets up) all the way to the towers and back about 4-5 times a years. Basically every time I visit. I just know the people get thinner and thinner the farther north I go and there are still guards for quite a ways. My problem is I will get there around 7am to set up and there will hardly be anyone on the beach then for me to tell how it will get later. At least I will see if there are guard chairs in the area before I set up. I only plan to stay until about noon or so. just enough to relax a little, smell the sweat smell of "home," swim, and hit the road again.

Old 06-29-2020, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingLiberty1919D View Post
Thanks! I wish I actually paid attention in the past. I always walk from about Virginia Ave (where my family sets up) all the way to the towers and back about 4-5 times a years. Basically every time I visit. I just know the people get thinner and thinner the farther north I go and there are still guards for quite a ways. My problem is I will get there around 7am to set up and there will hardly be anyone on the beach then for me to tell how it will get later. At least I will see if there are guard chairs in the area before I set up. I only plan to stay until about noon or so. just enough to relax a little, smell the sweat smell of "home," swim, and hit the road again.
So sorry, under "normal" circumstances I could tell you where the guards are but I have not been to the beach as of yet. You are right there at Virginia too. They didn't hire as many guards this summer due to the closure of the beaches. You might want to try calling this in the morning 302-227-2280. It is the number for the Rehoboth Beach Beach Patrol, they open at 10. They may be able to answer your question as to where it is less crowded.

Old 06-30-2020, 07:24 AM

14,993 posts, read 4,469,836 times
as a full time resident in the area, I treat July 4th as I would treat an impending 20 inch snow storm. I'll be at the grocery store this week at some ungodly hour, get my supplies and hibernate for the next week. I can't think of a worse time to come, but that's just me. Have at it!

Old 06-30-2020, 12:51 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,355,398 times
Right there with ya, skeddy.....already begun my hibernation. We typically leave the country this time of year because we dread it so much and want peace and quiet, but that's pretty much impossible this year. They cancelled our Caribbean getaway a few months ago.

Old 06-30-2020, 12:55 PM

Getting ready to hear the Governor. Hospitalizations are down a lot but the numbers are on the increase, so let's see what this brings.

Old 07-03-2020, 06:35 AM

I went yesterday. It didn’t seem crowded at all. There were people, but less than I usually see. Then again, I usually go on the weekend and I went on a Thursday.

For the longest time I had plenty of space. I when I swam, I was only one of about half a dozen people in the water near the lifeguard. It was only around noon when a family came later to the beach and sat up so close to me that I could have been part of their “camp” that I felt crowded. I have no idea why they did that too since there was plenty of open beach. They were more than 6 feet away, but they were close enough that I could hear everything they were talking about.

But by then I was done. I’d been on the beach since 7am, swam, and had enough sun. Besides I was very hungry after ocean swimming. Swimming against the current is a good workout.

I went to the boardwalk and Rehoboth Ave too to visit my favorite spots and get some lunch. Again, it wasn’t crowded. Even with tables spaced apart in Grottoes the place was only a third full at lunchtime. When I went to Dolles, I was the only one there.

People did wear masks most places. Very few didn’t wear them on the streets and Boardwalk. The police stopped the ones who didn’t. You were allowed to eat an ice cream cone and such and pull down your mask to do so. The only place were I didn’t see masks and they were supposed to be worn was the beach itself. Only the Lifeguards wore them and a few other people. But this was only the day after the new rule to wear masks on the beach. So maybe the weekly renters didn’t know yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware