Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 02:11 AM

9,724 posts, read 14,264,687 times

Advertisements

This is the weekend many have been waiting for. If you are a history buff, enjoy artisans demonstrating their crafts, story telling regarding Dover's past (some ghost stories), lantern tours on The Green Friday evening, arts, music, May Pole dancing on The Green, a parade, entertainment, children's colonial games, historic home and garden tours with a tea party ($15 tour only, or $25 combo ticket), and meeting genuinely nice people, this is for you. Many working on the event dress in colonial garb, ride in horse drawn carriages, and are anxious to tell you Dover's story. Visit the historic Golden Fleece Tavern built in the 1730's Kent County, Delaware - Historic Downtown Dover (http://www.visitdover.com/linksPages/attractdowntown.html - broken link), have lunch at one of the downtown Churches, Smithers historic restaurant or the Lobby House..... maybe grab a snack from a rolling cart, or have breakfast at the kiosk on The Green. There's an information booth at the intersection of Loockerman Street and State Street, most events are free and there's free parking. Enjoy Dover's beautiful flower garden displays throughout the City, and lovely architecture. Legislative Hall will be open, the Visitor's Center, the Johnson Museum, and many other buildings See schedule below, and wear your walking shoes.This is the 75th Annual Dover Days event, and I remember working on it when I was an 18 year old, followed by many other fun-filled years. It only gets better and better. So, if you're looking for something to do this weekend, The City of Dover is opening it's arms to you and will be all dressed up! Don't miss this 3 day event! Enjoy! Old Dover Days (http://www.visitdover.com/linksPages/eventodd.html - broken link)

Last edited by rdlr; 04-29-2008 at 03:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 09:00 AM

Also......for you dancers, or lookers, this Saturday night in conjunction with Old Dover Days, there will be a grand ball from 6-10 p.m. on The Green, with a tent set up...and dance floor. This is to celebrate the Old State House' existence and renovation. You will be able to walk and tour the State House which just underwent a $3.5 million restoration process. I checked the building out, and it gives me shivers to see it restored to it's original beauty. Live music for the ball will include that from different time periods...Colonial, Civil War and Jazz Age, and food/drink from those time periods will also be available. Dressing in period costumes is encouraged to celebrate the Old State House, from any of the decades in which it was in existence....1791 until now. But, you don't have to dress in costume. Tickets are $30 each; check the first post (schedule of events) for more. This weekend will be bustling in Dover, so to speak!

Old 04-29-2008, 09:13 AM

243 posts, read 914,872 times
Unhappy I'm not there yet

I'm sooo sorry I'm going to miss Old Dover Days. That is an event that my family would really love! Oh well, we will see it next year, for sure.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:18 AM

903 posts, read 3,505,869 times
Thanks Delly for posting this info! We would love to go, as we are trying to soak up DE history as fast as we can. Sadly, we won't be able to get to much of this, as we will be camping with the Boy Scouts!

I'll have to put the plug in at Jamboree that in 2009, the Scouts should schedule another weekend. Or else, we'll be in Dover instead! In our short time living in this lovely state, I for one have found there is not enough time available on our calendar for everything there is to see and do.

Movn2del, perhaps we'll be there together next year!

Mary

Old 04-30-2008, 07:13 AM

271 posts, read 995,660 times
Delly, you've brought a flood of memories. Our daughter loved participating in the May Pole dancing, and we loved watching her. These days, I think they let the boys dance as well, which may not be historically correct, but is a lot of fun for the boys and their parents!

Old 04-30-2008, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniebleu View Post
Delly, you've brought a flood of memories. Our daughter loved participating in the May Pole dancing, and we loved watching her. These days, I think they let the boys dance as well, which may not be historically correct, but is a lot of fun for the boys and their parents!
It is a really beautiful event, but I'm a little concerned about the weather forecast for the weekend. I'll be working there with some friends. Our daughter danced the May Pole dance, also, with Marion Tracy Dance Studio, many years ago. There's more to do in Dover and Kent County than people think, I've found. I've also worked at the Agriculture Museum, and that was interesting........especially meeting all the newcomers who've never seen a tractor or combine close up!

Old 04-30-2008, 08:18 AM

16 posts, read 55,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delly View Post
It is a really beautiful event, but I'm a little concerned about the weather forecast for the weekend. I'll be working there with some friends. Our daughter danced the May Pole dance, also, with Marion Tracy Dance Studio, many years ago. There's more to do in Dover and Kent County than people think, I've found. I've also worked at the Agriculture Museum, and that was interesting........especially meeting all the newcomers who've never seen a tractor or combine close up!

Amen,
Delly WBOC is saying mostly rain for Saturday, pray Bob Bennet Curie is wrong as usual.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remike2 View Post
Amen,
Delly WBOC is saying mostly rain for Saturday, pray Bob Bennet Curie is wrong as usual.
Yep, hope so. BTW, I thought he was retiring??

Old 04-30-2008, 09:10 AM

16 posts, read 55,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delly View Post
Yep, hope so. BTW, I thought he was retiring??
I think it is either the first of May or the first of June.

Mr wife and I call him erbob or uhbob. Who can forget probably pronounced as prolly or Saturday pronounced saddy?

Old 04-30-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remike2 View Post
I think it is either the first of May or the first of June.

Mr wife and I call him erbob or uhbob. Who can forget probably pronounced as prolly or Saturday pronounced saddy?
Oh, gee! You've noticed that too, huh? How about the 'big guy' with the wide mouth? We had 'the dish' once, for a very short time, and couldn't get WBOC. We had to switch back to cable, just for that station. The entertainment value is priceless! Bless his heart, Scorchy Tawes died, but that also was a trip back in time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware