U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2020, 06:29 PM

636 posts, read 271,546 times

Advertisements

For whatever reason, we've always lived next door to people who couldn't be bothered to secure things. During Sandy, they left the umbrella on their table open and that tipped the table over, which then shattered. At least it didn't become a flying projectile like the trampoline! At this house, the next door neighbors waited to bring in lawn furniture until it had blown around. They drove to check that their boat was securely tied at 6A this morning. Talk about waiting till the last minute!

We even brought in the VERY heavy furniture from the screened in porch, just to ensure we didn't have any trouble. If winds are high enough, all sorts of things can happen.

We have very nice friends who texted about their trash can woes. It was trash pick-up and their can blew over twice and they had to go out and pick it up. Is it me or is it crazy to even consider putting out your trash on a day when a tropical storm is passing over? I shake my head.

good luck with the clean up in your area. So glad your house is OK! The trees down in our development are community property, so it'll be interesting to see if the builder/developer comes and removes them!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2020, 10:34 PM

899 posts, read 1,041,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
Ocean View--absolute mess where I am. I believe it's some of the worst sustained winds we've ever had living here. Lost power for six hours and it just now came back on and keeps going on and off. Trees and large limbs down everywhere. Tree fell on a neighbor's car and another neighbor had a fire. We lost yet another cypress tree--thirty footer. I sat at my window and watched it uproot more and more until it just finally fell over into the empty lot next to us. Our lovely weekenders next door decided they didn't want to secure anything and their trampoline blew smack into our row of cypress trees after crashing through their small picket fence. The ONLY reason my house isn't smashed up, windows bashed in, and truck damaged is due to my trees catching the trampoline. NOT happy about this at all, but then again they never have been very considerate. I sure hope it didn't permanently damage my trees.

My house itself is fine. I must say, of all the storms it has weathered since 2002, we have never had any issues with this house during any storm--knock on wood. It has held up and done us well.
Lucky you had a row of trees to catch that trampoline. Too bad you lost one, though.

Old 08-04-2020, 10:39 PM

899 posts, read 1,041,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndyb View Post
For whatever reason, we've always lived next door to people who couldn't be bothered to secure things. During Sandy, they left the umbrella on their table open and that tipped the table over, which then shattered. At least it didn't become a flying projectile like the trampoline! At this house, the next door neighbors waited to bring in lawn furniture until it had blown around. They drove to check that their boat was securely tied at 6A this morning. Talk about waiting till the last minute!

We even brought in the VERY heavy furniture from the screened in porch, just to ensure we didn't have any trouble. If winds are high enough, all sorts of things can happen.

We have very nice friends who texted about their trash can woes. It was trash pick-up and their can blew over twice and they had to go out and pick it up. Is it me or is it crazy to even consider putting out your trash on a day when a tropical storm is passing over? I shake my head.

good luck with the clean up in your area. So glad your house is OK! The trees down in our development are community property, so it'll be interesting to see if the builder/developer comes and removes them!
In my community we were notified last night that all trash/recycling pickup was cancelled for today and everyone will be a day late this week. Even if I hadn’t been notified, I would have just decided to wait till next week. We have had containers blown over by the wind and trash everywhere.

Old 08-05-2020, 03:32 AM

405 posts, read 563,403 times
Meadow Brook Lane in Milford saw a lot of downed trees concentrated in a small area. Believe it to be caused by a tornado.

Old 08-05-2020, 10:38 AM

8,160 posts, read 11,808,751 times
We've been lucky here in our little town of Wyoming. But last night, I noticed a leak in our kitchen ceiling. A minor issue, compared to the photos I saw in the Delaware State News showing the destruction in the City of Dover, Milford, and the Townsend/Middletown areas.

Old 08-05-2020, 12:50 PM

10,161 posts, read 12,843,142 times
We wound up losing 12 ridge vent shingles but all is well now. The roofer came this morning and replaced them.

Last edited by nuts2uiam; 08-05-2020 at 01:15 PM..

Old 08-05-2020, 01:01 PM

1,854 posts, read 3,351,598 times
lyndyb--I never understood why anyone wouldn't secure their belongings either. I mean, they were calling for heavy sustained winds with 70mph+ gusts. We were outside Monday night putting all our lawn furniture in the shed. I even put my tomato cages in there along with our trash cans.

My neighbor had the trampoline for a couple years without any issues. I figured they had secured it with cement blocks or whatever since they had it so long. Nope. They didn't even bother to secure ANYTHING. I don't believe they are even permitted to have a trampoline here given we cannot have much of anything (no pools, hot tubs, camper, carport permitted), but only I and another neighbor could see it in their backyard and I didn't want to be that neighbor who spoils some poor kids' fun. However, it was lodged in our trees which saved our house and another neighbor's house from getting hit. They were really scared it was going to come loose and get them though! They kept standing at the front door and staring at it.

My son lives in Dover and his neighborhood was hit hard. He didn't have power for fourteen hours. On a good note though: I was out for my run this morning and DelDOT had already done a great job cleaning up the roads and making things safe.

Old 08-05-2020, 04:48 PM

We drove to MD today for several reasons and as we drove along Route 1 toward home today, we saw some damage to trees, roofs, fences. Our next door neighbor (on the other side of the house from "those" neighbors lol) texted me a picture of the side of our house and a narrow strip of fascia was dangling. By the time we got home, it had fallen to the ground and has minimal damage, so it can be reused but is too high for us. So now to find a contractor who will nail it back up for us. Small issue - just a tall one.

Glad the trees saved you from the trampoline, Liz. My evil side wonders if it isn't tempting to have that trampoline just disappear. I know, that's bad of me, but you might save one of the kids from having a spinal injury. I don't understand why people don't realize that anything outside can potentially become a projectile. Glad your roofer came to get things literally nailed down for you, Nuts!! Good luck getting your leak repaired, RDLR.

Old 08-06-2020, 07:52 PM

8,160 posts, read 11,808,751 times
Liz and Lyn......Sounds like you both made out o.k., but some scary stuff flying around. Glad it turned out o.k. with minimal damage. It could have been much worse for us. The Delaware State News is still showing horror photos of wind/storm damage in the area.

Old 08-06-2020, 08:01 PM

Friends who live in Milton had several trees come down on their shed during a storm a few months ago. I checked in with them and their next door neighbor had a tree come down on their roof, damaging the roof (of course), and an upstairs wall of the house. Thankfully, no one was injured. Like one of the trees in our neighborhood, the tree came up, roots and all.

The people building the house two lots down had wanted the builder/developer to remove the tree that came up roots and all and one other tree that had a dangling limb. They agreed to remove the one with the dangling limb but said the other would never come down - until it did on Tuesday.

I think it's gonna be a LONG hurricane season and I just read an article that said it was going to be a very active hurricane season. Of course, I'm pretty sure they say that almost every year, including 2019, which was pretty quiet. Let's hope they're wrong.

The good news is that a contractor we used earlier this year has said they could come to put it back up next week. YAY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware