U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2020, 12:08 PM

12,780 posts, read 6,295,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deescoping View Post
I hate to still go to NJ for fun.
I'm sure even the residents of Delaware can find something fun to do without leaving their state...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2020, 01:09 PM

297 posts, read 380,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
You’re smart enough to realize that the shootings occur in pockets of poverty, just as they do in Delaware, aren’t you? Just because crime is high in west Rehoboth doesn’t mean it’s unsafe to walk on the boardwalk.

Rather than citing an anecdotal tv news story, we should look at statistics. Wilmington has higher violent crime rate than Philly: Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site . Using your logic, however, Delaware is more crime-ridden than Philly because parts of its largest city have an astounding crime rate. In fact, if going by anecdotes, Wilmington was labeled “Murder Town USA” by a prominent national media outlet just a few years back. Pretty bad PR for Delaware. No one is calling Philly that.
Thank you for posting this. I wasn't even thinking about crime and was assuming the sentiment was about Covid-19.

I agree. The shootings do occur in pockets of poverty, the same as what happens in Delaware. Common sense and situation awareness go a long way.

For example I was reading in the newspaper that someone visiting a Wells Fargo ATM machine (outdoor) in Dover was robbed at gunpoint. From the article the victim was using the ATM at 2:40am.

Now certainly there's nothing inherently wrong in visiting an ATM at 2:40am, but a better choice if it was absolutely necessary at 2:40am would be to visit perhaps a 24hour WaWa inside to use the ATM.

Last edited by Yac; 08-11-2020 at 07:53 AM..

Old 08-10-2020, 01:58 PM

7,533 posts, read 8,685,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmassphd View Post
Thank you for posting this. I wasn't even thinking about crime and was assuming the sentiment was about Covid-19.
Covid rates statewide in Delaware over the last 7 days are 64/100K people v 48/100 K people in Philadelphia. I think Delaware opened its businesses too early. We’ve taken a much more cautious approach here in Philly, which we’re happy about.

We’re extremely diligent about our safety when we travel to Seaford to assist family. The rate in Sussex County over the last 7 days is 78/100K people, over 160% higher than Philadelphia.

Old 08-10-2020, 02:35 PM

8,162 posts, read 11,813,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I'm sure even the residents of Delaware can find something fun to do without leaving their state...
Absolutely! And, why would we WANT to leave Delaware?

Old 08-10-2020, 03:22 PM

10,170 posts, read 12,851,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
You’re smart enough to realize that the shootings occur in pockets of poverty, just as they do in Delaware, aren’t you? Just because crime is high in west Rehoboth doesn’t mean it’s unsafe to walk on the boardwalk.

Rather than citing an anecdotal tv news story, we should look at statistics. Wilmington has higher violent crime rate than Philly: Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site. Using your logic, however, Delaware is more crime-ridden than Philly because parts of its largest city have an astounding crime rate. In fact, if going by anecdotes, Wilmington was labeled “Murder Town USA” by a prominent national media outlet just a few years back. Pretty bad PR for Delaware. No one is calling Philly that.

But the truth is that it’s easy to cherry-pick stats. For example, look at this fact: Camden-Wyoming ranks in the bottom 6% of the entire country in crime, meaning that 94% of American cities and towns are safer. This would mean I’m considerably safer in Philadelphia than in some crossroads out in the woods of rural Kent County. Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site . Thank God for that!

Of course, the shootings everywhere are out of control. But the maxim is that crime rates and poverty rates correspond with one another. That might be the reason Camden-Wyoming has such a high crime rate. Who knows?

RDLR suggested not going to Philly now and I supplied a current reason in support of that statement.

I am talking about Philly, this weekend, as a reason to avoid the area.

Wilmington was not part of the conversation. Rehoboth is far from the crime stats of Wilmington. Apples and oranges. I am not looking to get into a crime stat discussion.

Last edited by Yac; 08-11-2020 at 07:54 AM..

Old 08-10-2020, 08:08 PM

29,036 posts, read 28,018,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
It's peach season! I'm sure that doesn't sound very exciting to some people, but I'm thrilled. I can have fresh peaches, peach cobbler, peach pie, peach ice cream... Maybe I should have been born in Georgia.

Old 08-10-2020, 09:39 PM

899 posts, read 1,042,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Absolutely! And, why would we WANT to leave Delaware?
I don’t want to go anywhere either - everything I like is right here

Old 08-11-2020, 12:37 AM

1,023 posts, read 989,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
After this pandemic is under control, maybe the Playhouse on Rodney Square, in Wilmington, will get back on their feet. Southern Delaware has some jazz venues, but they are mostly down in Dewey Beach, or Rehoboth Beach.
Also in Wilmington is The Grand https://www.thegrandwilmington.org/, which in normal circumstances has a VERY active and interesting schedule, often presenting different shows three times a week. "The Grand presents more than 75 shows each season, ranging from symphony orchestras and ballets to the latest rock and comedy stars, with jazz, folk, and family artists as well." We've seen bands and humorists there. (Check out Jeanne Robertson -- a show we saw and LOVED.) Every summer (except this cursed one) there's Delaware Shakespeare, https://delshakes.org/. Their season is limited this year but normally they have outdoor performances all summer long.

In Newark, there's the University of Delaware's Resident Ensemble Players - University of Delaware - Department of Theatre, which is a little more highbrow than anything else I'm aware of in Delaware. Inland in Sussex County, there's an excellent musical venue, the Freeman Stage https://freemanstage.org/. Mixed bag of music types.

But really, if you care about the performing arts at a professional level, there are lots of reasons to leave Delaware for an evening or a weekend. I grew up in Delaware and we own property at the beach. I love spending time there, and because we live very close to the PA/DE state line, we're frequently in New Castle County. But we also venture a little farther afield for theater and concerts.

Philadelphia, with its three major theaters, and even Lancaster have excellent Broadway road shows and professional (Actors Equity) productions. Lancaster County has the American Music Theater and a couple dinner theaters. https://www.discoverlancaster.com/th...o-do/theaters/. There's a Shakespeare Festival in Center Valley, PA, every summer https://pashakespeare.org/. They do Shakespeare but also plays or musicals with a connection to old Will; we saw a production of West Side Story (aka Romeo and Juliet) that was fabulous!

If you enjoy the very different experience of community theater, there's a troupe in Rehoboth, Clear Space Theater. We think it's dreadful, but it's popular enough to be building a new home. There's also Possum Point Players in Georgetown. No first-hand experience with their productions.

Last but not least, there's the Everett Theater right in Middletown! Everett Theatre in Middletown, DE - Cinema Treasures. Movies now, but I gather there are plans for live productions when circumstances permit.

Old 08-11-2020, 09:39 AM

^
Great Post with lots of ideas! Thanks for dragging this original topic out of the mud slinging phase, and back to the surface.

Last edited by rdlr; 08-11-2020 at 09:55 AM..

Old 08-11-2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocopsonite View Post
Last but not least, there's the Everett Theater right in Middletown! Everett Theatre in Middletown, DE - Cinema Treasures. Movies now, but I gather there are plans for live productions when circumstances permit.
Oh, I forgot about the Everett Theater, pretty close to us. The last time I was there was to see an Elvis Show, about 5-6 years ago. It was a beautiful theater then, I remember.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware