Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2020, 02:11 PM

1 posts, read 3,187 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are in our early 30s and are thinking of moving to the Dewey/Rehoboth area full time, as we both work remotely. We found a place within a 15 minute walk to the beach, Dewey nightlife and about 30 minute walk to Rehoboth Ave. We also have a lot of family in the area, so we are familiar with the area during the busier seasons. Are there other people our age that live here full time? It seems to mostly be older retirees that are around in the winter months. We do not have children yet, so I'm just curious what my social life may look like if we take the plunge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2020, 02:57 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
We live out of town but in Rehoboth. There are not a tremendous number of younger people in this area but there are some. We have six families here in this community that are approximately your age. All have little ones. I would add that we are an all ages community and our social committee did a lot of include these families in our social calendar. But I would say the bulk of the friends are kids parents to kids parents.

Old 09-15-2020, 05:09 PM

52 posts, read 46,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat625 View Post
My husband and I are in our early 30s and are thinking of moving to the Dewey/Rehoboth area full time, as we both work remotely. We found a place within a 15 minute walk to the beach, Dewey nightlife and about 30 minute walk to Rehoboth Ave. We also have a lot of family in the area, so we are familiar with the area during the busier seasons. Are there other people our age that live here full time? It seems to mostly be older retirees that are around in the winter months. We do not have children yet, so I'm just curious what my social life may look like if we take the plunge.
Rehoboth beach was founded as a Christian retreat. Its name, Rehoboth, means, "room for all without quarreling". My how times have changed.
RB is the gay capital of Delaware. And not all of them are happy with straights. Nephew had a house there and found that out rather quickly being straight & married.

Dewey is OK. But if you really want to move to a nice beach area consider Ocean City. Or if you like resort locations with upper income residents, I can't stress enough how gloriously wonderful St. Michaels Maryland is. On the water and it is also horse country in certain areas.

Old 09-15-2020, 07:55 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelHorse View Post
Rehoboth beach was founded as a Christian retreat. Its name, Rehoboth, means, "room for all without quarreling". My how times have changed.
RB is the gay capital of Delaware. And not all of them are happy with straights. Nephew had a house there and found that out rather quickly being straight & married.

Dewey is OK. But if you really want to move to a nice beach area consider Ocean City. Or if you like resort locations with upper income residents, I can't stress enough how gloriously wonderful St. Michaels Maryland is. On the water and it is also horse country in certain areas.
I am both straight and married and have a wonderful group of neighbors some of whom are straight and others are gay or lesbian. I would not trade one of them for the world. Like anything else in life there are people and there are people.

Last edited by nuts2uiam; 09-15-2020 at 08:07 PM..

Old 09-16-2020, 09:33 AM

189 posts, read 154,175 times
Quote:
RB is the gay capital of Delaware.

Your post implies that one cannot be gay and a Christian. I'm not surprised, having seen some of your other recent posts, and I'm pretty certain you won't pay attention to this, but . . . you might want to check that attitude.

Old 09-17-2020, 01:45 PM

829 posts, read 629,414 times
Quote:

We don't live in Rehoboth, but within a few miles and I have close friends and neighbors who are gay and never have any of them indicated any issue with them not being happy with straights. I think that's an incorrect broad generalization.

As you're all probably sick of hearing, I was born and raised in MD and grew up vacationing in Ocean City, which most Baltimoreans talk about like it's some kind of mecca. I would definitely not recommend it to 30-somethings moving to this part of the world simply because it's highly seasonal and is a near ghost town during the winter. I don't know much about Dewey, but it seems like it closes up during the winter as well, aside from a handful of restaurants and businesses.

I have great memories of vacations in Ocean City, which has a huge beach, but would never consider living there and our personal opinion is that it's gone downhill. We like the Lewes/Rehoboth/Milton area much more and I think 30-somethings would find a lot more year round residency and people their own age than they would in Ocean City.

Last edited by lyndyb; 09-17-2020 at 02:38 PM..

Old 09-25-2020, 06:37 AM

26 posts, read 42,279 times
We are 30 somethings with young Kids who moved here 2 years ago. I agree, since you work remotely, I would be looking north of the bay (north of Dewey basically). There are alot more families in the Lewes/Milton area than Ocean City area.

I think you need to decide how important being near other young families is and what your budget is. We bought in a resort community and really didn't like it, 90% of our neighbors were old retired people from out of state. Some were nice, some were not, and there was definitely a disonnect in terms of how welcoming some were of children. We have since moved a bit north to Milton and really like it. We are still close to Lewes/Rehoboth when we want the beach or a nice restaurant, but have our own downtown to go to for day to day needs or when wanting to avoid summer traffic /crowds.

You will find alot more families if you move a bith north / west (Long neck, MIlton etc) than trying to be in Lewes or Rehoboth. Unless you have a ~ $1MM budget for Wolfneck or Gill's neck, where there are lots of families, most young familes are going to be in the 300-400k neighborhoods in the towns I mentioned.

If kids/ diverse aged year round neighbors are not important, closer in to Lewes/Rehoboth could surely be a great fit for you guys. Renting is a great option for 1st year to feel things out.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware