Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2020, 02:37 PM

829 posts, read 629,262 times

Advertisements

Our HOA is $400/year, with no amenities other than maintaining the common spaces - no mowing, snow removal, clubhouse or pool. We just got our water bill and it was $305 for the quarter, but that was because we're in new construction and have been using the irrigation system to water the lawn more than we may normally. We're in the process of having a well installed - they've got the permit and we're waiting for them to get to us, as they're super busy.

Our sewer bill runs us about $140/quarter and is partly based on our water usage. We use Blue Hen for our trash and recycling pick-up once a week and it runs $60/quarter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2020, 03:14 PM

30 posts, read 25,658 times
Which development? Which county? Thanks.

Old 08-24-2020, 04:35 PM

We are in Lewes/Sussex County - off Angola Road.

Old 08-24-2020, 05:19 PM

30 posts, read 25,658 times
Thanks. My wife and I are considering a move next year to Sussex County, so this is helpful to know..

Old 08-24-2020, 09:20 PM

68 posts, read 84,487 times
Default Now For The Property Taxes

Hi Lyndyb, If I did my math correctly I came up with a figure of 2420.00 per year before property taxes. I am curious if you please with property taxes what would annual cost be? I realize you mentioned irrigation was high becouse of ongoing construction. I am just trying to compare my cost of living per year compared to Delaware. Thank you

Old 08-25-2020, 06:04 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvs820 View Post
Hi Lyndyb, If I did my math correctly I came up with a figure of 2420.00 per year before property taxes. I am curious if you please with property taxes what would annual cost be? I realize you mentioned irrigation was high becouse of ongoing construction. I am just trying to compare my cost of living per year compared to Delaware. Thank you
I just got my property tax bill. Soup to nuts, $1254, which included a $400 reduction that is now only available after you live here 10 years.

It is our experience that everything here is cheaper than it was on L.I. other than 2 things. Our water was cheaper with an annual bill of about $150 including irrigation. Here that is a bill for a quarter and we don't pay for irrigation.

Second, and this was a stunner. Produce is sky high here as compared to L.I. Maybe because we are an agricultural state I had "lower" expectations and literally everything is a lot higher produce wise. Now, even with our HOA fees and garbage and sewer which were included in our taxes at home, we are light years ahead having moved.

Old 08-25-2020, 06:19 AM

9,723 posts, read 14,264,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Second, and this was a stunner. Produce is sky high here as compared to L.I. Maybe because we are an agricultural state I had "lower" expectations and literally everything is a lot higher produce wise. Now, even with our HOA fees and garbage and sewer which were included in our taxes at home, we are light years ahead having moved.
Nuts.....I think you're going to the wrong places for veggies. Farm markets are expensive ($2.00 for 2 large tomatoes) and grocery stores don't have top quality produce, while still charging big. It's probably not possible, where you live, but I go to the Amish farms for fresh corn on the cob, cabbage, potatoes, tomatoes, broccoli, Cheap!....corn on the cob, 10 cents/ear, tomatoes - 4-5 tomatoes for $1.25, select your own. Some of my "new to the state" friends buy CSA boxes of veggies. In fact, my daughter in PA does that. Sad, but these farm markets see the newcomers coming, so they charge!

Old 08-25-2020, 08:29 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Nuts.....I think you're going to the wrong places for veggies. Farm markets are expensive ($2.00 for 2 large tomatoes) and grocery stores don't have top quality produce, while still charging big. It's probably not possible, where you live, but I go to the Amish farms for fresh corn on the cob, cabbage, potatoes, tomatoes, broccoli, Cheap!....corn on the cob, 10 cents/ear, tomatoes - 4-5 tomatoes for $1.25, select your own. Some of my "new to the state" friends buy CSA boxes of veggies. In fact, my daughter in PA does that. Sad, but these farm markets see the newcomers coming, so they charge!
I do go to the Fifer's in Dewey in season and they have great produce, but they are high too. Corn on the cob was 6 for $2, 2 weeks ago. The produce is definitely a higher quality so I don't mind. PreCovid my sister and would take a ride up to Dover to Produce Junction and load up, but we have not since Feb. The Farmers markets her are beyond crazy too. We have friends that do the CSA boxes, but we are pretty met and potatoes when it comes to veggies and some of the veggies in them we don't eat.

Old 08-25-2020, 09:23 AM

9,723 posts, read 14,264,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I do go to the Fifer's in Dewey in season and they have great produce, but they are high too. Corn on the cob was 6 for $2, 2 weeks ago. The produce is definitely a higher quality so I don't mind. PreCovid my sister and would take a ride up to Dover to Produce Junction and load up, but we have not since Feb. The Farmers markets her are beyond crazy too. We have friends that do the CSA boxes, but we are pretty met and potatoes when it comes to veggies and some of the veggies in them we don't eat.
Fifer's here in Wyoming, is high, too. Also, Elmer's on Rt. 404 Bridgeville is high. I just visit my Amish friends for produce, since I live so close to them. And, the ladies help me do 'deep cleaning' in the house, either in the Spring or Fall.

Old 08-25-2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvs820 View Post
Our taxes are about $1450/yr and we don't yet qualify for any discount. We previously lived in MD and paid about $4600 a year for a house with comparable square footage and a lower value. Our irrigation is high not because of ongoing construction but because our house was new construction and the lawn is getting established, so we water it more often than you might an established lawn.

You are smart to find out as much as possible about costs and pricing, as not everyone does. A neighbor who just settled in December 2019 has already sold the house and has said a big reason is that they weren't aware of the many costs - and they realized since they weren't going to retire for another 5 years, the cost of carrying a second home was going to be more than they'd been prepared for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware