U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2020, 08:01 PM

66 posts, read 51,133 times

Advertisements

Hello Everybody,
I am curious as to how much your annual water bill is? Is it based on gallons used? The more you use the more it will cost? What is the water quality like ? Can you drink the water? I have a well here and have never paid for water. I do have a filtered system though and can drink my water. I am just curious. Thank you for your advice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2020, 09:10 PM

10,167 posts, read 12,851,666 times
Mine is about $250 per quarter. I do use a Brita out of habit but the water is perfectly fine here and I came from LI. The biggest thing I have noticed is that on LI by the end of 60 days I needed to change the filter out of my Brita and here I am still getting a quick filter through at the 3 month mark but they get changed every 90 days any way. It is usage based and there is no bad taste straight from the tap.

FWIW $70 of every bill is an administrative charge. Essentially to have the account on the books and use no water at all, that is the minimum bill.

Old 08-18-2020, 05:41 AM

8,160 posts, read 11,811,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvs820 View Post
Hello Everybody,
I am curious as to how much your annual water bill is? Is it based on gallons used? The more you use the more it will cost? What is the water quality like ? Can you drink the water? I have a well here and have never paid for water. I do have a filtered system though and can drink my water. I am just curious. Thank you for your advice.
There are no set water rates for Delaware, in general. Where will you be moving? We live in a small town in Kent County. We are billed monthly, and our water bill was high this month.....due to the fact that we had new sod installed, which required lots of start-up water. And then, I have lots of baskets/pots of flowers. We drink water out of the tap, and receive health reports each month on our water. So, you'll have to re-phrase your question, specifying an area or town.

Old 08-18-2020, 12:20 PM

2,107 posts, read 4,178,628 times
We have Tidewater and this year it was $145 last quarter and $178 for this one. We turn off our irrigation when it rains (doesn't have a sensor....or it doesn't work). Compared to last years charts we have used less probably because we had a lot less rain than this year. I am considering getting a new irrigation control that uses WiFi with weather to control when it runs.

We actually do have a water conditioner as when we first moved in I could smell chlorine when I was filling up my Brita and my skin is very sensitive to chemicals in the water. Also had some breathing problems in the shower with the hot water. Heavy rings in the toilets that I had to remove with a pumice stone scrubber. We used the Brita water for cooking, humidifier in the winter, Keurig and my ice tea maker Our unit is a softener and chlorine remover and I no longer notice the chlorine smell and we no longer use the Brita. Just the water from the fridge (has filter) for the Keurig and ice tea maker. I even go 2 cycles with my fridge filter and don't notice any problems. Cooking is out of the tap.

Old 08-18-2020, 08:21 PM

66 posts, read 51,133 times
Default Thank you

Great info thank you. Not quite sure yet rdlr. So water could be quite expensive based on what is used. Now what about sewer fees? I am trying to get all the added costs together. Is it fair to assume that sewer is also a separate fee? that being said HOA fees are also a separate monthly expense?

Old 08-18-2020, 08:48 PM

10,167 posts, read 12,851,666 times
Sussex County. $88.75 quarter
HOA fees are all over the map and depend upon amenities offered and vary by what is covered. Townhouses can be under the condo umbrella so that can be a whole different metric. The same can also apply to single family homes. Some HOA fees are as reasonable as $60 per quarter but that might just get you garbage pick up and others can be $4000 annually.

You did not ask but our garbage is $57 per quarter, some include that in HOA fees.

Old 08-18-2020, 09:53 PM

2,107 posts, read 4,178,628 times
Our sewer rates are 87.99 per qtr, billed by Kent Co. At least ours is pretty much flat rate no mater how much water we use. Probably a minimum.

As stated HOA varies widely. I can only tell you that ours are $175/month paid on a quarterly basis. Covers lawn care (not planting beds) mowing with some fertilizer and weed control (most people do more on their own), taking care of the common areas and the use/care of the activity center.

Trash is 284.50 paid on a yearly basis on our property tax bill. Service provided by Kent Co. We also have a trash "dump" very close by which is $1/bag up to 30gal of regular trash or landscape trash with recycling free.

Old 08-23-2020, 02:47 PM

213 posts, read 158,342 times
It is possible in some places to get a second water meter for outside faucets. There would be no sewer charge for that since the water would go into the ground.

Old 08-23-2020, 04:59 PM

8,160 posts, read 11,811,928 times
And, I've been to many properties where they have public water supply, and a private well for their irrigation purposes.

Old 08-24-2020, 07:31 AM

139 posts, read 394,898 times
For my development, HOA is $125 a month, billed quarterly. Cover mowing, snow removal, fertilizer, club house and pool maintenance. The irrigation uses well water so no charge to the residents and also solar power for electricity for the common area so no charge there also. Water has a base of $85 month for sewerage plus usage, typically averages between $120 - $130 monthly total
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware