Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 08:40 PM

11 posts, read 28,398 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm a NJ native (northern NJ) planning to relocate to Delaware. I'm most interested in the Rehoboth Beach/Lewes area, but I'm thinking of going a little inland to manage expenses.

I like Peninsula Lakes and was wondering if there are enough people living there year-round (or planning to live there year-round).

I'm a widow in my 60s. Ideally, I'd like to live in a community with couples, families, and singles. I'd rather not be one of only a tiny handful of single people in a large community.

I know that it's a new and growing community, but does anyone have any insight as to whether Peninsula Lakes might be a good fit?

TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 10:02 AM

182 posts, read 247,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mededitor View Post
Hi all,

I'm a NJ native (northern NJ) planning to relocate to Delaware. I'm most interested in the Rehoboth Beach/Lewes area, but I'm thinking of going a little inland to manage expenses.

I like Peninsula Lakes and was wondering if there are enough people living there year-round (or planning to live there year-round).

I'm a widow in my 60s. Ideally, I'd like to live in a community with couples, families, and singles. I'd rather not be one of only a tiny handful of single people in a large community.

I know that it's a new and growing community, but does anyone have any insight as to whether Peninsula Lakes might be a good fit?

TIA.

I looked there last year, nice homes. I would say however "the lakes" part are just big storm water retention ponds spattered about that will attract lots of geese to crap about, and can be very unsanitary. They're good to prevent runoff into the environment, but these lakes are nothing you want to be close to or want kids or pets around. Its also amazing that some realtors add cost to having what they call "pond views" or having your house on one of these; like you would on a real pond (and people actually pay it lol) You want to be as far away as possible from these mosquito/bacteria laden monstrosities, trust me. I seen this stuff live and in person before.

Nice article about this issue.

Tensions rise around neighborhood ponds - StarTribune.com

Old 07-06-2018, 01:21 PM

Sunglo1, thank you for that information. Interesting read. I don't plan to settle too close to a "lake." Mosquitoes were my concern, didn't even think about the geese. Yuck! I have a dog and don't want her too close to geese droppings. It seems like all of the new communities in the area have some sort of man-made water.

Maybe I should consider Pelican Point instead of Peninsula Lakes... I don't want to relocate, have no social life, and be surrounded by geese! 🙂

Old 07-06-2018, 08:20 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Quote:
Sunglo1, thank you for that information. Interesting read. I don't plan to settle too close to a "lake." Mosquitoes were my concern, didn't even think about the geese. Yuck! I have a dog and don't want her too close to geese droppings. It seems like all of the new communities in the area have some sort of man-made water.

Maybe I should consider Pelican Point instead of Peninsula Lakes... I don't want to relocate, have no social life, and be surrounded by geese! 🙂
All communities built at least in 2003 and possibly earlier have to have storm water maintenance ponds. I do not live on the pond and I have to honestly say that if the pond is properly maintained you hold not have a mosquito problem. We spend a lot of money on our three ponds and I have not heard a complaint about mosquitos yet. I am super allergic to their bites and I would have known if there were a ton here. We also have not had a goose problem since I am here, but we did have a lone mallard that started to float in our pool. We captured him in a net, washed the feathers in a Dawn detergent mixture and sent him on his way.

Old 07-06-2018, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
All communities built at least in 2003 and possibly earlier have to have storm water maintenance ponds. I do not live on the pond and I have to honestly say that if the pond is properly maintained you hold not have a mosquito problem. We spend a lot of money on our three ponds and I have not heard a complaint about mosquitos yet. I am super allergic to their bites and I would have known if there were a ton here. We also have not had a goose problem since I am here, but we did have a lone mallard that started to float in our pool. We captured him in a net, washed the feathers in a Dawn detergent mixture and sent him on his way.
Thank you, good to know. I've developed an allergy to mosquito bites and was a bit concerned. However, it seemed like the "ponds" at Peninsula Lakes will have fountains in them, which should greatly reduce mosquito activity.

Another question, does anyone have an opinion regarding Pelican Point versus Peninsula Lakes? I know that Pelican Point is propane and I don't know if there is a big difference between propane and natural gas.

Again, TIA.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:44 PM

The water fountains do help but don't destroy all the mosquito problems. I can tell you that the water in these ponds can also contain flesh eating bacteria you here about too. If left stagnant over a summer can also stink some. The fountains help some but not to the extent you think. I'm no trying to be a Debbie Downer on this, just trying to give a dose of reality. These aren't what you see on the old Andy Griffith show , where Andy and Opie are skipping rocks off the country pond. I know of people that have had issues in Columbia MD with these nasty things, and that association keeps on eye on them. I would look up in Milton , say Wagamons pond area. I looked where you were at and loved the houses , but was laughing my ass off at these so called ponds, lol some dirty things.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Thank you, good to know. I've developed an allergy to mosquito bites and was a bit concerned. However, it seemed like the "ponds" at Peninsula Lakes will have fountains in them, which should greatly reduce mosquito activity.

Another question, does anyone have an opinion regarding Pelican Point versus Peninsula Lakes? I know that Pelican Point is propane and I don't know if there is a big difference between propane and natural gas.

Again, TIA.

Don't do the propane thing if you can get natural gas. Natural gas is cheaper on average. It seems the contractors/ politicians that control housing in Sussex County Delaware somehow must get a nice kickback form the propane industry. Almost everyone I went to had only propane , some have natural gas. Also the property taxes are way lower then say Maryland but your income tax is higher and utilities are too, and Delaware lacks in Healthcare for seniors.

https://www.tax-brackets.org/delawaretaxtable

Old 07-07-2018, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunglo1 View Post
Don't do the propane thing if you can get natural gas. Natural gas is cheaper on average. It seems the contractors/ politicians that control housing in Sussex County Delaware somehow must get a nice kickback form the propane industry. Almost everyone I went to had only propane , some have natural gas. Also the property taxes are way lower then say Maryland but your income tax is higher and utilities are too, and Delaware lacks in Healthcare for seniors.

https://www.tax-brackets.org/delawaretaxtable
Thanks for confirming what I thought about propane. The reason we converted from oil to natural gas in NJ 20+ years ago.

My draws to DE are that I have some friends there all ready and the low propery tax. In northern NJ I'm paying almost $11,000/year on an expanded cape with minimal land. In DE I'd have more house for ~$1400/year! DE is also relatively close to my mother while getting me out of NJ. She lives in central NJ. She's in her 80s and doesn't want to move, so I want to stay close.

This is all complicated!

Old 07-07-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Thanks for confirming what I thought about propane. The reason we converted from oil to natural gas in NJ 20+ years ago.

My draws to DE are that I have some friends there all ready and the low propery tax. In northern NJ I'm paying almost $11,000/year on an expanded cape with minimal land. In DE I'd have more house for ~$1400/year! DE is also relatively close to my mother while getting me out of NJ. She lives in central NJ. She's in her 80s and doesn't want to move, so I want to stay close.

This is all complicated!

Wow 11 Grand a year on a house like that, Insanity !!! NJ is so out of control it makes Maryland look cheap. I could give you the political reason for that, but you know.

Old 07-08-2018, 08:27 PM

373 posts, read 517,196 times
It's great that everyone has different experiences, desires, and therefore opinions, so I will share ours.

We live in a community in Lewes with several "ponds" which as noted above are purposefully created to be water retention basins. All of them have fountains. The lots on the ponds commanded higher prices when they were sold, and most folks here love living with a pond/fountain view. We have had no complaints about mosquitos. During the Spring some homeowners do complain about the migratory geese who enjoy our ponds for a few weeks and bring with them their geese droppings which of course they deposit in the backyards. However, most homeowners feel it is a small transitory issue that is (1) literally washed away by the Spring rains, (2) easily avoided by walking elsewhere for a few weeks (it is too early to have to mow lawns), and (3) a small price to pay for enjoying the ducks and herons that also use the ponds several months a year. Many residents also fish (catch & release) in the ponds. My wife and I have a beautiful view of a pond and fountain and our only regret is that the fountain doesn't run 12 months a year.

As with all things, just weigh what you value and buy accordingly!

Best of luck in your house search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware