U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2020, 08:25 AM

4 posts, read 2,582 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Looking to buy a small home in Ocean View, no more than $350K. Any advice regarding nice neighborhoods where the homes are primarily owner-occupied (in other words, not a lot of renters) would be so appreciated. We are in our sixties, but don't mind at all, a mixed-age neighborhood. We have a dog so, the ability to have a fenced yard is preferred. Many thanks in advance!

-Gmn
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2020, 01:59 PM

1,854 posts, read 3,352,520 times
Hi! I can advise of a few established neighborhoods near me in your price range that don't have oversized McMansion homes for sale; I run and bike often so I have pretty intimate knowledge of these neighborhoods. Banks Harbor is a good one and in your price range. I know of a decent, older rancher home for sale in there in a nice, private location in the back but it needs serious remodeling (as is since it was built in 1979). Whites Creek is another one, although I haven't kept up on what's available there. Both of these developments have very few renters, if any. My neighborhood has two brand new rancher homes being built in here; we do have a couple renters in here, but the only one that would be a nuisance isn't anywhere near these homes. The neighbors nearby are quiet and most are year rounders and retired, although one home is next to a middle-aged family with three large dogs that are often outside in their fenced yard--but I haven't heard any complaints about them. The other is next to a home owned by older weekenders. Fences are permitted in here along with the other aforementioned developments. All the ones I mentioned are outside OV town limits so you would not pay town taxes, but they may be eventually incorporated into OV town limits.

I can try to dig up the homes online being built if you're interested. The one in Banks Harbor is online. They are all in your price range and the builder in here seems reputable. Just let me know!

Old 09-25-2020, 05:04 PM

Hi Beachliz,

Thanks so much for your reply. I will gratefully accept any information you can provide. I will go and google Banks Harbor and Whites Creek. Any other guidance you can offer, I will greatly appreciate.

Gmn

Last edited by Gmccnelson; 09-25-2020 at 05:31 PM..

Old 09-25-2020, 07:40 PM

I sent you a dm. I will say that homes around here have been selling quickly and for asking price, even ones that aren't so desirable. I've seen homes in my neighborhood sell as soon as they go up for sale this year. Maybe an older one here and there might sell for slightly less than asking.

Old 09-25-2020, 08:05 PM

8,160 posts, read 11,811,928 times
In addition to what Liz may recommend,
My work takes me all over the State of Delaware, and in my travels I've visited some very nice subdivisions. In Ocean View, here are a few off the top of my head where I've recently worked:
Ocean Farm
Ocean Way Estates
Denton Manor
Country Village
The Reserves
Homes in those subdivisions are both new and re-sales. I do see that every time I visit these subdivisions, prices keep going up and up.

Old 09-26-2020, 09:11 AM

Thanks Liz -- got your message! Very much appreciated.

Old 09-26-2020, 09:12 AM

Thanks so much RDLR! This is very helpful. Country Village is pretty close to Bear Trap Dunes, right?

-Thanks,
GMN

In addition to what Liz may recommend,
My work takes me all over the State of Delaware, and in my travels I've visited some very nice subdivisions. In Ocean View, here are a few off the top of my head where I've recently worked:
Ocean Farm
Ocean Way Estates
Denton Manor
Country Village
The Reserves
Homes in those subdivisions are both new and re-sales. I do see that every time I visit these subdivisions, prices keep going up and up.[/quote]

Old 09-26-2020, 10:48 AM

14,867 posts, read 4,426,777 times
OV is about a safe a place as you can find in Delaware.

https://www.safehome.org/safest-cities/de/

Old 09-26-2020, 12:36 PM

8,160 posts, read 11,811,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
OV is about a safe a place as you can find in Delaware.
https://www.safehome.org/safest-cities/de/
Yep, if I was going to move anywhere, it would be Ocean View.

Old 09-26-2020, 07:17 PM

I've been here for eighteen years and no regrets. I moved here from Lewes (also a great place!) and it is, by far, one of the best decisions I ever made. I cannot think of anyone who moved here and said, "Oh, this place is awful!" Our population has boomed, and still we have very low crime. We have many retirees here and the area just isn't attractive to those wanting to lead a seedy lifestyle. A very proactive police force with a chief who has been here forever definitely helps, and we even have a substation for the state police in nearby Millville.

I run and bike alone constantly, and I mean all the time....never have felt unsafe or threatened. Nearby state parks are safe as well for exercise (Holts Landing and Delaware Seashore). I do wish we had more land and fewer people around us--had my eye on 1.23 acres in a really nice development called Bethany Forest just outside town, but they are bringing sewer through there in 2025 and I will never go through that again. That was basically my biggest complaint about living here--going through two+ years of all that mess. Thought about buying it and sitting on it until sewer came through, but my husband can retire in a couple years and it's up in the air what he will decide to do then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware