Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2020, 09:27 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,598,002 times

Advertisements

I might be taking a job in Hockessin and was wondering what places are good to live? I prefer a city setting as I lived in DC for 8 years and loved it. I was leaning towards Wilmington but have heard its full of crime. I'd probably be bored in the burbs of MD. Any suggestions for a place that is lively and close to my office?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2020, 10:36 AM

4 posts, read 13,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
I might be taking a job in Hockessin and was wondering what places are good to live? I prefer a city setting as I lived in DC for 8 years and loved it. I was leaning towards Wilmington but have heard its full of crime. I'd probably be bored in the burbs of MD. Any suggestions for a place that is lively and close to my office?
I'll be interested in what people respond. I am currently living in Western Maryland but have been starting to do research into areas of DE for a job relocation a year or so down the road. Hockessin seems like a nice area with some higher home prices than other areas. One nearby area I saw was Pike Creek Valley which seems more reasonable for cost of living but also a nice area. But I am just starting to look and need to do some more research, so hopefully others will chime in!

Old 10-05-2020, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristen32 View Post
I'll be interested in what people respond. I am currently living in Western Maryland but have been starting to do research into areas of DE for a job relocation a year or so down the road. Hockessin seems like a nice area with some higher home prices than other areas. One nearby area I saw was Pike Creek Valley which seems more reasonable for cost of living but also a nice area. But I am just starting to look and need to do some more research, so hopefully others will chime in!
It's safe to say I'm not going to get any responses. It appears Trolley Square and Riverfront neighborhoods of Wilmington would be my best bet for city life. I'm not interested in the burbs. I like MD, but more so closer to DC/Baltimore like Columbia. Columbia wouldn't make sense so it appears those areas in Wilmington are.

Old 10-09-2020, 11:58 AM

136 posts, read 114,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
It's safe to say I'm not going to get any responses. It appears Trolley Square and Riverfront neighborhoods of Wilmington would be my best bet for city life. I'm not interested in the burbs. I like MD, but more so closer to DC/Baltimore like Columbia. Columbia wouldn't make sense so it appears those areas in Wilmington are.
Nowhere in Wilmington will compare to DC, but Trolley and the neighborhoods around it are your best bet. I lived in an adjoining neighborhood and really liked it. The Riverfront is ok, but IMO overpriced for what you get and the urbanism feels more manufactured just because it’s new and a little cut off from the rest of the city. Downtown Wilmington had been rapidly improving up until the pandemic, lots of new condos and restaurants. When things get back to normal, you should check it out and see if it’s for you. I imagine it’s more dead than usual with lots of the office workers working remotely.

You could also look at Newark and Kennett Square. They are both smaller but have walkable areas. Newark is a college town, though, so keep that in mind. And Kennett is very nice/quaint but small. West Chester could also be in play but is a little further commute.

Old 10-12-2020, 09:07 PM

64 posts, read 115,891 times
Kennett Square may be a good place to look. Are you looking to buy or rent?

Old 10-13-2020, 03:25 PM

Rent. I like the Riverfront a lot. I wasn't a fan of Trolley Square.

Old 10-22-2020, 10:01 PM

997 posts, read 1,303,761 times
Hockessin is quintessential suburbia. Doesn't sound like what you are after.

Old 10-24-2020, 05:27 PM

314 posts, read 550,807 times
Riverfront is a nice area to visit, although the outskirts are dicy. I love going through their bike trail on the weekends. The downside to the Riverfront is their lack of permanent dwellings. It feels like one giant enclave of extended stay corporate housing. It's mainly all apartments and condos, occupied primarily by transplants who seek upscale living near the downtown area before deciding where to buy a house and settle down. In contrast to the Trolley Square area, you have much older housing and with established residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware