Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2020, 10:30 AM

6 posts, read 9,859 times

Advertisements

Hi we are researching states to relocate our family . My husband recently retired from LIRR. We will have 1 son in High School too , so schools are important. We are looking for a community hopefully right at 400,000 hopefully less. I would appreciate any input that you have. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2020, 10:44 AM

13,042 posts, read 18,004,094 times
We are former LI'er and have been in Rehoboth for 8 years. The only High School for this area is Cape Henlopen HS and is very well thought of.

Go to realtor.com and put in Lewes and then another one for Rehoboth.

Most places are HOA and come with fees but there are some that are not.

Old 10-19-2020, 08:01 PM

Thank you )

Old 10-20-2020, 07:18 AM

1,679 posts, read 2,540,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misspag View Post
Hi we are researching states to relocate our family . My husband recently retired from LIRR. We will have 1 son in High School too , so schools are important. We are looking for a community hopefully right at 400,000 hopefully less. I would appreciate any input that you have. Thank you
What part of Long Island? While it has been a long time since I have been back, I was born and raised on Long Island - are you familiar with Northport? When I first visited Lewes I immediately felt like it was home. Downtown Lewes reminded me of downtown Northport and the Lewes zip code reminded me of areas around Northport.

I have lived here for over 6 years and love it. Crowded during the summer months, but, it calms down after the beach season is over. If you are used to Long Island traffic what is considered crowded here you would think is ordinary everyday traffic.

Old 10-20-2020, 08:53 PM

Thank you Mary.. we live in Farmingdale. That’s good to know. My cousin just moved from Northport to Charlotte . Typically how much does utilities run per month .. about a 2000 sq house with propane gas. Lawn, garbage is taken care of by hoa. I laugh when people mention traffic, living here all my life the traffic is horrendous lol. Anything is better than here.

Old 10-21-2020, 08:30 AM

13,042 posts, read 18,004,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misspag View Post
Thank you Mary.. we live in Farmingdale. That’s good to know. My cousin just moved from Northport to Charlotte . Typically how much does utilities run per month .. about a 2000 sq house with propane gas. Lawn, garbage is taken care of by hoa. I laugh when people mention traffic, living here all my life the traffic is horrendous lol. Anything is better than here.
I have a cousin that lived on Lowell Drive in Farmingdale back in the 70's.

Here is the breakdown for us for our roughly 2500 square foot home. 2 People

Our taxes were $1254 for the year. Note: if you bought my house tomorrow it would be an additional $400 as that is the senior discount, but you now need to live here for 10 years to qualify.

Garbage is $57 per quarter
Sewer is $88 per quarter
Electric per month $130
Water per quarter $170
Propane $140 year

I will say compared to my water on LI, Delaware is expensive. Tidewater charges $70 per quarter just to have an account even if you don't use a drop of water.

Our heat/ac is a heat pump that is all electric. The propane is for our Bar-b-Que and fireplace.

Some people have a hybrid electric/propane heating system.

Compared to LI, I find produce outrageous. That said you can buy a lot of lettuce with your tax savings.
The rest of the groceries are about the same for the most part, maybe a tiny bit more expensive, but that depends upon what you buy for your family.

Every community is different. Some HOA's are condo's and you have everything taken care of outside including siding, roofing, lawn care, flowers, etc. others do not include them except for the community area's. I pay for lawn service as we own our home and the land outright as opposed to a condo.

The most important things to be aware of, in my opinion, for a prospective buyer are:

Land Lease or fee simple (not something we had on LI.) Essentially you own your house but not the land and therefore pay a land rent annually. Pro and Con. to this type ownership. (generally speaking) Pro you get a beautiful home with many amenities at a fraction of the cost that you would pay if you owned outright. You keep more $$ in your account as opposed to paying full freight for a house. Cons. You have no control of the rent escalation and as a result they seem to be more difficult to sell. Check out Baywood as a land lease community.

If an established community ask about the reserves - you don't want to enter a community that has problems.
Ask about any assessments that the community may have had.

If a new build, you will need to weigh the risk/reward of the incentives of picking exactly what you want, the location you want vs the possibility that if the market drops out and the builder bails you will have a community that may not get amenities as promised for quite a while. Now eventually it all works out generally speaking, but it can take time. Check out Peninsula clubhouse.

Last consideration, does the community pay for irrigation? Mine has its' own well so we are irrigated with no charge for the water. A consideration if you have to pay for irrigation and you don't have well.

If you ahve any questions feel free to DM me if I can help.

Old 10-21-2020, 05:50 PM

24 posts, read 38,420 times
I’m from LI , also . Not far from you .
Actively looking for the last 18 months or so .
Love the Lewes area !
Really love villages at red mill pond!

Last edited by Bellagio1; 10-21-2020 at 05:52 PM.. Reason: Misspelling

Old 10-22-2020, 11:22 AM

Thank you so much “nuts2” that is awesome information. I reached out to builder and it’s not a land lease property so that’s good news lol. My goal is to get the deposit holding the lot lower. I wish I had 35,000 laying around...

Bellagio... yes I had a FaceTime with josh from red mill pond and they use all low grade materials for kitchen and such that you have to upgrade. I would like upgrades to at least be included in the price. I am looking at spring breeze by Ryan builders. The include nice finishes like granite etc included in build . I hope to go within the next couple of weeks and look.

I appreciate everyone’s input )

Old 10-23-2020, 05:24 AM

144 posts, read 448,228 times
Ryan Homes have many issues, do your research on them before you decide. Ypu can do a search on this site regarding different builders.

Old 10-23-2020, 04:09 PM

829 posts, read 625,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I have a cousin that lived on Lowell Drive in Farmingdale back in the 70's.

Here is the breakdown for us for our roughly 2500 square foot home. 2 People

Our taxes were $1254 for the year. Note: if you bought my house tomorrow it would be an additional $400 as that is the senior discount, but you now need to live here for 10 years to qualify.

Garbage is $57 per quarter
Sewer is $88 per quarter
Electric per month $130
Water per quarter $170
Propane $140 year

I will say compared to my water on LI, Delaware is expensive. Tidewater charges $70 per quarter just to have an account even if you don't use a drop of water.

Our heat/ac is a heat pump that is all electric. The propane is for our Bar-b-Que and fireplace.

Some people have a hybrid electric/propane heating system.

Compared to LI, I find produce outrageous. That said you can buy a lot of lettuce with your tax savings.
The rest of the groceries are about the same for the most part, maybe a tiny bit more expensive, but that depends upon what you buy for your family.

Every community is different. Some HOA's are condo's and you have everything taken care of outside including siding, roofing, lawn care, flowers, etc. others do not include them except for the community area's. I pay for lawn service as we own our home and the land outright as opposed to a condo.

The most important things to be aware of, in my opinion, for a prospective buyer are:

Land Lease or fee simple (not something we had on LI.) Essentially you own your house but not the land and therefore pay a land rent annually. Pro and Con. to this type ownership. (generally speaking) Pro you get a beautiful home with many amenities at a fraction of the cost that you would pay if you owned outright. You keep more $$ in your account as opposed to paying full freight for a house. Cons. You have no control of the rent escalation and as a result they seem to be more difficult to sell. Check out Baywood as a land lease community.

If an established community ask about the reserves - you don't want to enter a community that has problems.
Ask about any assessments that the community may have had.

If a new build, you will need to weigh the risk/reward of the incentives of picking exactly what you want, the location you want vs the possibility that if the market drops out and the builder bails you will have a community that may not get amenities as promised for quite a while. Now eventually it all works out generally speaking, but it can take time. Check out Peninsula clubhouse.

Last consideration, does the community pay for irrigation? Mine has its' own well so we are irrigated with no charge for the water. A consideration if you have to pay for irrigation and you don't have well.

If you ahve any questions feel free to DM me if I can help.
This is all great information from Nuts!

Our community does not have a well for irrigation (none of the many communities that we looked at did) and it takes a lot of watering to get a new lawn established if you go the build route. That raised our monthly water bill to about $300-400 a month during the hot/sunny summer months. An option is to have your own well put in, which is what we and several of our neighbors have done @ a cost of approximately $3k. Just FYI.

To add to the post by culater88 that Ryan Homes has many problems, I will say that we were initially in love with a Ryan model, but we had so many people recommend we avoid them that stopped considering them. That said, I doubt there is a single builder that doesn't have some unhappy customers. As many others have recommended on other threads, it's often wise to talk to people who actually live in the community that you're considering. We've had a lot of people drive through our community and ask us (before it sold out) and we never minded talking to people, several of which became our neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of: