U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2020, 02:00 PM

10,162 posts, read 12,847,241 times

Advertisements

Well the movement of the downtown restaurants is a topic so I thought I would add another one.

So far the Outlets (all three) have lost several stores.

I had reason to run into the outlet yesterday for curbside pickup and before hand I called the Tanger office to be sure of the outlets were opened. I asked if they were crowded on Friday. She replied no, not at all. I added that I heard Harry and David had closed. She then added the following are closed.

Bass
Lenox
Van Heusen will close in March.

Over the past several years Bose, Waterford and Easy Spirit have closed.

I had a family member that worked for Lenox several years ago who said then, that the nature of entertaining had changed to much more casual and therefore place settings of china were no long a big sale item. She said there were still a few cultures that valued china pacesettings more than others and they were still buying but not like it used to be.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2020, 08:56 PM

363 posts, read 408,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I had a family member that worked for Lenox several years ago who said then, that the nature of entertaining had changed to much more casual and therefore place settings of china were no long a big sale item. She said there were still a few cultures that valued china pacesettings more than others and they were still buying but not like it used to be.
Don't doubt that, Nuts. When we moved here a number of years ago we had an estate sale and the appraiser told us that the beloved family china was worth about 50¢ a plate/cup/etc. She said unless one has a rare piece that collectors want, there is very little interest. My adult kids had no interest in it (or our china closet), and don't plan to ever buy any.

P.S. the antique silverware was worth a lot more...but not because it was valued as fancy eating utensils; because they could melt it down!

Old 12-01-2020, 08:46 PM

A friend just added another outlet store closed. Wilson’s Leather is gone. That was a very large store too.

Old 12-02-2020, 03:43 PM

2,107 posts, read 4,177,979 times
I was very sad to see Easy Spirit and Bon Worth closed. Those were the 2 stores that I could find clothes and shoes that worked for me....sad. Lot of outlet stores closing.

Enjoy.....I have heard this everywhere. I live in a 55+ where everyone is downsizing and they all say their kids don't want any of their stuff. Younger generation is mobile and of a throwaway mindset. They don't want to be bothered with anything they have to move. It's really strange because they are also so very concerned about the environment and yet just only want things they can throw out when they get tired of them or move. I'm lucky that my DD does like some of my things. She wanted my china set and has kept some good quality furniture that we had. But I also have collectible that I will have to sell sometime in the future because I don't want them going to Goodwill and the Salvation Army stores.

Old 12-09-2020, 09:40 AM

562 posts, read 402,804 times
So where will everyone shop now that so many stores are shutting down?

As it is, aren't a lot of people retiring in DE, and where will they go to buy their stuff... Orivs or the Dollar Tree?

Old 12-09-2020, 12:42 PM

I just heard a devastating rumor regarding a closing and I hope that it is just that. I have my ear to the ground on this one but the source was pretty certain with just a glimmer of hope.

Old 12-09-2020, 12:43 PM

3,170 posts, read 4,411,867 times
This is happening just about everywhere. Stores closing, a re-set (much like the early eighties? early nineties? 2010 credit crunch? No matter the cause, there's a good side. in the nineties when people were retiring to a condo from a townhouse, or from a house to a townhouse, you downsize. To paraphrase the Japanese young ladies at the time: if we don't use it in eight months, we donate/sell/recycle/or give it away. I don't want AN OLD MANS' GARAGE, and I've been going through FIVE of them, dad's. I want ONE good tool for the job, and other than scanned photos and family legacy stuff (yes, the real Duncan Phyfe dinette is at my brothers, an artist that will oil/rub/care for it. To paraphrase the fashion con. MR.Black, this "stuff" I don't really own, it just stays with me awhile, and then goes on to give joy to others. Houses are better designed today, but a lot less square feet. I want my car in the garage, not out in the driveway because the covered box is loaded with "stuff" I'll never use.

Old 12-09-2020, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
This is happening just about everywhere. Stores closing, a re-set (much like the early eighties? early nineties? 2010 credit crunch? No matter the cause, there's a good side. in the nineties when people were retiring to a condo from a townhouse, or from a house to a townhouse, you downsize. To paraphrase the Japanese young ladies at the time: if we don't use it in eight months, we donate/sell/recycle/or give it away. I don't want AN OLD MANS' GARAGE, and I've been going through FIVE of them, dad's. I want ONE good tool for the job, and other than scanned photos and family legacy stuff (yes, the real Duncan Phyfe dinette is at my brothers, an artist that will oil/rub/care for it. To paraphrase the fashion con. MR.Black, this "stuff" I don't really own, it just stays with me awhile, and then goes on to give joy to others. Houses are better designed today, but a lot less square feet. I want my car in the garage, not out in the driveway because the covered box is loaded with "stuff" I'll never use.
The difference between here and everywhere is the germaine point. This is a a resort community and there is a boardwalk and one main avenue where all the shops and restaurants are located within the city. If we lose too many of the avenue shops, this will devastate the community. This is not like J.C. Penny going out of the mall, these are all mom and pop shops that have been around for many years. Prior to covid they were able to make rent and thrive or at least did not go under. Now they are in trouble and the landlords will wind up with a lot of empty real estate which will impact the vibrancy of the town and its' revenue.

Old 12-09-2020, 06:25 PM

636 posts, read 271,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
The difference between here and everywhere is the germaine point. This is a a resort community and there is a boardwalk and one main avenue where all the shops and restaurants are located within the city. If we lose too many of the avenue shops, this will devastate the community. This is not like J.C. Penny going out of the mall, these are all mom and pop shops that have been around for many years. Prior to covid they were able to make rent and thrive or at least did not go under. Now they are in trouble and the landlords will wind up with a lot of empty real estate which will impact the vibrancy of the town and its' revenue.
It's all very sad and very scary. A little worried about the devastating rumor you heard, nuts. Keeping my fingers crossed. I hate to see any of the stores close. The number of retailers closing their outlet stores and going to online only is very worrisome - Lenox, Bass - and Pfaltzgraff (prior to the pandemic). I do my fair share of online shopping, but there are some things I need or at least want to see and touch - and try on - before I buy. I also worry about all the small businesses - be it retail shops or restaurants - that are struggling to survive.

Old 12-09-2020, 06:53 PM

899 posts, read 1,041,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post

In the state I lived in most of my life before moving to Delaware, a few small towns with picture-postcard perfect downtown areas - beautiful older buildings surrounding a town green - lost some stores and restaurants and building owners are trying to find new tenants that will keep the green the way it is. Just off the green, on U S Route 1, a pawnshop moved in, along with a U-Haul rental company. People in this town didn’t even want a car wash in town before. They want everything in the next town - supermarket, service stations, fast food. I hope any empty retail space in Rehoboth can be filled with compatible retail or restaurants.

Last edited by retiree2011; 12-09-2020 at 07:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of: