U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 08:40 AM

6,596 posts, read 7,344,390 times

Advertisements

I live in Sussex County. I have a neighbor who purchased a trapping license for his cleared half acre lot in a residential neighborhood. He has several live traps scattered throughout his lawn in which he traps small animals, enters his garage with the trapped animal and returns the empty trap to his lawn. Apparently he is killing the animals. Without going into a lot of detail about this guy only in that he is doing this to torment certain neighbors, does anyone know how long these licenses last? What are the regulations pertaining to trapping small animals in housing developments? He's been killing for about 8 months now. I do know that if animals are damaging your property, one can purchase a license and fix the issue, but in this case its many many months of this. Thanks for any replies.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2020, 09:28 AM

4,602 posts, read 3,881,073 times
You can look up all this information yourself. You know where you live. Check your local regulations.

Old 12-01-2020, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
You can look up all this information yourself. You know where you live. Check your local regulations.
I can call Fish and Wildlife. I can attempt to get answers from their website. I can also ask on City Data.

Old 12-01-2020, 11:06 AM

7,696 posts, read 9,922,547 times
I wonder if he is also hoping to deter pets from wandering onto his precious space. Loose dogs or those on long leashes. Kitty cats. Some people are not kind.

Old 12-01-2020, 11:34 AM

12,763 posts, read 6,277,227 times
Just speculating, but maybe a different avenue to investigate. A license to trap small furbearer "game" animals (squirrels, raccoons, etc) wouldn't be the same as a permit to trap free ranging domestic pet animals and it might not be issued by the same agency. If it's native game, he would need something from state F&G and be subject to whatever seasons and bag limits used to manage those species. Not too many seasons would last 8 months unless there's some sort of bounty on something local. The traps for that purpose aren't usually live traps. Your state may require that the license number is displayed on the traps so that's a way to find out if they are legal. If it's pets (cats) he might have gotten a trapping permit from the local animal control agency that allows him to remove nuisance animals. Sometimes a state F&G might issue a permit to control feral domestic animals because they are depredating wildlife. Still, anyone can just go out and buy the traps themselves. A phone call to both a local animal control office and local F&G office providing them with the neighbor's name/address might give them a head's up about illegal activity.

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-01-2020 at 12:09 PM..

Old 12-02-2020, 03:31 AM

405 posts, read 563,583 times
How do you know your neighbor has a trapping license? Maybe he said that just so you would leave him alone. What kind of animals is he trapping. Is this a wooded lot? There is a list of varmints a property owner has a right to remove from his property. You could look it up!

Old 12-02-2020, 09:42 AM

Parnassia & pete lynch, the reason this man has these traps is because he is trying to intimidate his neighbors. We live in a small development, homes built by a small developer. Houses built and centered on half acre lots. The developer builds about two homes per year. There are 20 homes so far. This guy was the first to buy here and is not part of our HOA because it did not exist when he closed on the house 7 years ago. He does not like the developer and did not like the fact others have bought homes here, believe it or not. He torments the woman here, barks at them when walking their dogs. Drops nails all over the place, damages mailboxes, crazy stuff like that. However, that walking about in the middle of the night doesn't take place anymore because there are too many people living here now and that he has severe vascular disease in his legs. That is why he walks like Frankenstein, and looking like Shrek doesn't help matters.

There is a neighbor who feeds the birds and squirrels, so in order for him to torment her without leaving his property he set traps all over his property. Dead birds and squirrels started to show up on her property (directly across the street from him), so she called Fish and Wildlife who inspected his property. We all thought poison was also involved. The officer said that he can only have live traps on his cleared property with the permit that he acquired. He said the tormentor's property was being damaged by the squirrels. Indicated a soffit and a grill cover being damaged. That supposed damage was on his back deck which is surrounded by a fence with 2 dogs. I think the damage is BS. The officer said he can not prove he has poison because he can not search the house. The officer also said that he can kill the animals if he wanted to but not with poison. The neighbor did ask how long does the license last and was told that as long as it takes to fix the issue. That answer is what I don't like.

A couple of us have purchased security cameras on our properties because of this and other nutty things this guy has done in the past. One concern is he and his wife and 18 year old son have not left their property in nine months.

I know he trapped squirrels, however we have ground hogs, scunks, herds of deer, birds of every kind.

Old 12-02-2020, 01:58 PM

1,854 posts, read 3,352,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
[b]He does not like the developer and did not like the fact others have bought homes here, believe it or not. He torments the woman here, barks at them when walking their dogs. Drops nails all over the place, damages mailboxes, crazy stuff like that. However, that walking about in the middle of the night doesn't take place anymore because there are too many people living here now and that he has severe vascular disease in his legs. That is why he walks like Frankenstein, and looking like Shrek doesn't help matters.
Oh my goodness, so sorry to hear you are dealing with this. I've had some crappy neighbors too, but nothing on this level. Some people are just plain miserable and hateful.

Old 12-02-2020, 03:13 PM

12,763 posts, read 6,277,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Parnassia & pete lynch, the reason this man has these traps is because he is trying to intimidate his neighbors. We live in a small development, homes built by a small developer. Houses built and centered on half acre lots. The developer builds about two homes per year. There are 20 homes so far. This guy was the first to buy here and is not part of our HOA because it did not exist when he closed on the house 7 years ago. He does not like the developer and did not like the fact others have bought homes here, believe it or not. He torments the woman here, barks at them when walking their dogs. Drops nails all over the place, damages mailboxes, crazy stuff like that. However, that walking about in the middle of the night doesn't take place anymore because there are too many people living here now and that he has severe vascular disease in his legs. That is why he walks like Frankenstein, and looking like Shrek doesn't help matters.

There is a neighbor who feeds the birds and squirrels, so in order for him to torment her without leaving his property he set traps all over his property. Dead birds and squirrels started to show up on her property (directly across the street from him), so she called Fish and Wildlife who inspected his property. We all thought poison was also involved. The officer said that he can only have live traps on his cleared property with the permit that he acquired. He said the tormentor's property was being damaged by the squirrels. Indicated a soffit and a grill cover being damaged. That supposed damage was on his back deck which is surrounded by a fence with 2 dogs. I think the damage is BS. The officer said he can not prove he has poison because he can not search the house. The officer also said that he can kill the animals if he wanted to but not with poison. The neighbor did ask how long does the license last and was told that as long as it takes to fix the issue. That answer is what I don't like.

A couple of us have purchased security cameras on our properties because of this and other nutty things this guy has done in the past. One concern is he and his wife and 18 year old son have not left their property in nine months.

I know he trapped squirrels, however we have ground hogs, scunks, herds of deer, birds of every kind.
Ah, the details clarify the picture a lot. They usually do.

So, he did apply for and get the appropriate trapping permit claiming squirrels damaged his house. It is a fact that squirrels are destructive. BTDT. Dogs don't often deter them because they know they can stay out of reach of a dog. Also BTDT. I could show you squirrel damage on my deck too that happened while my dog was alive.

According to your own post, the F&G officer did investigate, checked how trapping was being done, and was satisfied that damage existed. He's probably no fool and can tell ongoing current damage from something that happened once a long time ago. Sounds like your neighbor knows his rights and is staying within them...you just don't like it.

OK, Unless you can prove that he is harassing the neighbors (I mean by catching him in the act...your cameras haven't provided evidence so far have they?) all your statements are biased speculation. You'd have to prove the presence of poison in those dead animals, the vandalism. The F&G officer is correct...he can't just make the assumptions you are and prosecute him without evidence. He cannot search the man's house without probable cause and the proper warrant.

Look, there are long standing conflicts between people who attract and feed wildlife and those who end up with property damage because of it. That's not going to end. By feeding squirrels the other neighbor may be creating an attractive nuisance. That's not going to end either. Not everyone welcomes wildlife. I'm not trying to be unsympathetic but realistic. I like wildlife on my property too, but I cannot force my neighbors to like the same things I do, or manage their property the same way I choose to manage mine.

Its obvious this one resident is the odd man out in the development. Its obvious you are carrying a grudge. You don't like this person and feel free to say insulting things about him (the unnecessary snarky comments about his appearance and the creepy none-of-your-business comment about his wife and son). When you start making unsubstantiated accusations you are skirting on the edges of slander, libel. You can be sued for that.

As for pre-dating the HOA. So what? It happens. Nothing you can do about him being unhappy with it and it sounds as if the HOA doesn't have the power to force him to become a member or to impose covenants on him. You'll either just have to live with it or move somewhere else. Heaven forbid anyone actually tries to find common ground with the odds-out neighbor to lessen the tension. Sounds as if that ship sailed a long time ago. Seems as though just about every neighborhood has one resident others don't like. Badmouthing them because of it doesn't help matters, it can make them worse.

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-02-2020 at 04:17 PM..

Old 12-03-2020, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Ah, the details clarify the picture a lot. They usually do.

So, he did apply for and get the appropriate trapping permit claiming squirrels damaged his house. It is a fact that squirrels are destructive. BTDT. Dogs don't often deter them because they know they can stay out of reach of a dog. Also BTDT. I could show you squirrel damage on my deck too that happened while my dog was alive.

According to your own post, the F&G officer did investigate, checked how trapping was being done, and was satisfied that damage existed. He's probably no fool and can tell ongoing current damage from something that happened once a long time ago. Sounds like your neighbor knows his rights and is staying within them...you just don't like it.

OK, Unless you can prove that he is harassing the neighbors (I mean by catching him in the act...your cameras haven't provided evidence so far have they?) all your statements are biased speculation. You'd have to prove the presence of poison in those dead animals, the vandalism. The F&G officer is correct...he can't just make the assumptions you are and prosecute him without evidence. He cannot search the man's house without probable cause and the proper warrant.

Look, there are long standing conflicts between people who attract and feed wildlife and those who end up with property damage because of it. That's not going to end. By feeding squirrels the other neighbor may be creating an attractive nuisance. That's not going to end either. Not everyone welcomes wildlife. I'm not trying to be unsympathetic but realistic. I like wildlife on my property too, but I cannot force my neighbors to like the same things I do, or manage their property the same way I choose to manage mine.

Its obvious this one resident is the odd man out in the development. Its obvious you are carrying a grudge. You don't like this person and feel free to say insulting things about him (the unnecessary snarky comments about his appearance and the creepy none-of-your-business comment about his wife and son). When you start making unsubstantiated accusations you are skirting on the edges of slander, libel. You can be sued for that.

As for pre-dating the HOA. So what? It happens. Nothing you can do about him being unhappy with it and it sounds as if the HOA doesn't have the power to force him to become a member or to impose covenants on him. You'll either just have to live with it or move somewhere else. Heaven forbid anyone actually tries to find common ground with the odds-out neighbor to lessen the tension. Sounds as if that ship sailed a long time ago. Seems as though just about every neighborhood has one resident others don't like. Badmouthing them because of it doesn't help matters, it can make them worse.
You can assume all you want. They are substantiated claims, there is a police case number on this guy, accumulated by many complaints by several people, both layman and professional that go back 7 years. My wife and I are the live and let live kind of people, we mind our own business and get along very well with people. We do not meddle. All I can tell you is this, I can write pages on this guy that would blow your mind, something out of a novel kind of experience. Again, my original post was about how long someone can kill animals by laying out a dozen traps on his residential property. Forever, the killing of animals, not on a farm, not in the middle of nowhere, not off the grid, and above all, not for eating. And no, if I was to explain and show all of this in person you would think, why I wasn't even angrier. And you'd agree that no damage was done if you viewed the property and the two big dogs. Squirrels are quick, but above all about these critters, not as stupid as you might think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware