U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-16-2021, 12:00 PM
 
4,827 posts, read 2,604,990 times
Reputation: 10198

Advertisements

During lockdown, and as we approached the holidays, anyone could be an Amazon driver/deliveryperson. The few Amazon packages that came here came via a young man in a U-Haul and there were ads and articles about how if you needed extra money and had a vehicle, you could pick up packages at the closest distribution site and deliver them and there was some pay structure. Our particular driver worked hard, and had rented quite a large-ish truck, so I assumed he really needed some holiday income. I got no one else's packages, thankfully, but as I said, this man was working hard.


However, some time back I read an article about how much stuff originating at Amazon ends up in landfills because it's cheaper for them to just send another or jettison old inventory. It was pretty shocking and I'm sorry I don't have a link.



Add in that there's a small, family-run company in Idaho that I've purchased from occasionally that used to sell through Amazon. They now have a disclaimer on their site that if you buy any of "their" goods from Amazon, you will not be getting what you pay for because they were sending knock-off, inauthentic articles and so the company withdrew from doing business with them.


Amazon has quite a lot of proven bad business practices, not least of which is recent union-busting in some more southern states and I wonder that a lot of people welcome their arrival in DE.



Sorry I don't have a good suggestion for rdlr other than maybe an open box yard sale.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-16-2021, 12:30 PM
 
Location: Former LI'er Now Rehoboth Beach, DE
11,212 posts, read 14,110,007 times
Reputation: 11661
RDLR maybe a local thrift store would be willing to pick it up.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2021, 12:53 PM
 
Location: Black Hammock Island
4,620 posts, read 13,856,215 times
Reputation: 4588
luv4horses brought up a good point about GPS. Have you ever used a Garmin and plugged in your address? Or have a friend who can do the experiment? You don't have to necessarily live in a new development for addresses and locations not to be matching. GPS gadgets, such like Garmin, are updated with new files frequently, and it could be that the new file is wrong. If you plug in my sister's address, her house built in the 60s, the GPS now points to 4 houses before hers.

Delivery people who rely on GPS and don't read addresses, and are mandated by their employers to get the job done in less time than humanly possible, will get the "you have reached your destination" and deliver.

Amazon, and Amazon sellers, often times don't even want a package back. I was floored when we recently received a new coffeemaker and its carafe was broken, but the seller said here's your refund and just keep the coffeemaker - they didn't want to deal with the return.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2021, 01:54 PM
 
5,948 posts, read 4,165,587 times
Reputation: 8553
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
I noticed that quality at Amazon's retail service has deteriorated over the past few years.

By now, the company at large is more a military contractor and involved in research into driverless vehicles, robots, the cloud, space exploration, etc.

It appears that they no longer need the peons of the retail world like they once did.

The people wanted globalization, the people got globalization, a race to the lowest common denominator in terms of quality and that we all live in equally.

Except, of course, for the high tech gods.

Unexpected?

Good Luck!
YUP!

Globalism = Poor Quality and Poor Performance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2021, 02:16 PM
 
8,508 posts, read 12,296,609 times
Reputation: 17687
Today, I started my store, which is on the corner of my front porch. Two more packages came today, and each had street addresses....in the next town over. No word back from the person I last delivered to....the one I left a note on the package with my phone number and address. She's history.

About "deliveries". Where I live, Amazon trucks are well marked, large blue commercial type SUVs. Some addresses on packages I've received are those in new subdivisions, and some are not. There are lots of these trucks running around, always in the way. They usually park in the street, leave their truck, and deliver their package....obviously, anywhere they can dump it.

When Spring has sprung, I'll open all the packages and have a yard sale. No more guilt, no more trying to do the right thing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2021, 02:37 PM
 
Location: Black Hammock Island
4,620 posts, read 13,856,215 times
Reputation: 4588
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Today, I started my store, which is on the corner of my front porch. Two more packages came today, and each had street addresses....in the next town over. No word back from the person I last delivered to....the one I left a note on the package with my phone number and address. She's history.

About "deliveries". Where I live, Amazon trucks are well marked, large blue commercial type SUVs. Some addresses on packages I've received are those in new subdivisions, and some are not. There are lots of these trucks running around, always in the way. They usually park in the street, leave their truck, and deliver their package....obviously, anywhere they can dump it.

When Spring has sprung, I'll open all the packages and have a yard sale. No more guilt, no more trying to do the right thing.
Sorry I am laughing ... nevermind my post about GPS ... there is obviously a bigger problem.

Be rest assured that whoever does not receive their packages from Amazon will contact Amazon and get a replacement at no additional cost.

Laughing again ... your willpower not to open them is strong ... not many would be able to curb their curiosity!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2021, 02:40 PM
 
Location: Boston
17,060 posts, read 5,601,630 times
Reputation: 13783
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
luv4horses brought up a good point about GPS. Have you ever used a Garmin and plugged in your address? Or have a friend who can do the experiment? You don't have to necessarily live in a new development for addresses and locations not to be matching. GPS gadgets, such like Garmin, are updated with new files frequently, and it could be that the new file is wrong. If you plug in my sister's address, her house built in the 60s, the GPS now points to 4 houses before hers.

Delivery people who rely on GPS and don't read addresses, and are mandated by their employers to get the job done in less time than humanly possible, will get the "you have reached your destination" and deliver.

Amazon, and Amazon sellers, often times don't even want a package back. I was floored when we recently received a new coffeemaker and its carafe was broken, but the seller said here's your refund and just keep the coffeemaker - they didn't want to deal with the return.
I bought a new $600 computer that didn't work. Amazon said keep it and sent me another.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2021, 02:50 PM
 
Location: Boston
17,060 posts, read 5,601,630 times
Reputation: 13783
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Today, I started my store, which is on the corner of my front porch. Two more packages came today, and each had street addresses....in the next town over. No word back from the person I last delivered to....the one I left a note on the package with my phone number and address. She's history.

About "deliveries". Where I live, Amazon trucks are well marked, large blue commercial type SUVs. Some addresses on packages I've received are those in new subdivisions, and some are not. There are lots of these trucks running around, always in the way. They usually park in the street, leave their truck, and deliver their package....obviously, anywhere they can dump it.

When Spring has sprung, I'll open all the packages and have a yard sale. No more guilt, no more trying to do the right thing.
Amazon is fortunate you're not picking out some items and having those items delivered to one of those addresses (your house).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2021, 03:28 PM
 
Location: Southwest
2,213 posts, read 1,604,071 times
Reputation: 1582
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
I bought a new $600 computer that didn't work. Amazon said keep it and sent me another.
That is funny and weird. I wonder why they don't have you send it back so they or a contractor can reburbish it for resale. What brand computer is it?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2021, 06:09 PM
 
Location: US
23,272 posts, read 22,518,800 times
Reputation: 18128
Just keep them. If your package is late you get a free month if you contact customer support, so it's a win/win for you and the customer.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top