Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2008, 03:23 PM

3 posts, read 9,746 times

Advertisements

Hello, All:

It is probable that I will find myself in Wilmington in a matter of days...after two years in Italy. I have been combing your forum, and I am hoping someone may be kind enough to put this weary mind to rest! I want to bloom where I shall next be planted, but there are several things about Wilmington that are distressing me.

1. Safety
I am a young woman who walks everywhere - I do not and will not have a vehicle. Trolley Square is an option for me, as I need to be able to walk downtown. Does anyone have any other safe neighborhood suggestions, perhaps with bus options? I'll be looking for an apartment in an old house/historic area.

2. Aesthetics
I know I can walk into the Brandywine Park and to your art museum. Are there other areas of beauty reachable by foot/bus? I'm getting mixed reviews about your riverfront - is this truly a growing and attractive area?

3. Food
Someone on your forum described Wilmington as a culinary black hole, and my blood froze! There seems only to be an Acme in Trolley Square. Is there another neighborhood that has more grocery options (again, I am on foot)? Are there any farmers' markets? Community gardens?

4. Camaraderie
Are there any neighborhood associations that are welcoming of new people? Book groups or cooking groups?

5. Studio Requirements
I will require models if and when I establish a studio in Wilmington. Are there any portrait or figurative artist groups in Wilmington or nearby in DE? I am acquainted with much of what Philadelphia offers, but I will need to minimize travel and stay put in Wilmington for a time. If no one knows of such groups, perhaps someone out there is interested in beginning one with me? I am also acquainted with the DCCA.

My sincere thanks to anyone providing uplifting feedback. I want to find ways to feel better about this relocation and to make it a success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 04:11 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,414,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scultrice View Post
Hello, All:

It is probable that I will find myself in Wilmington in a matter of days...after two years in Italy. I have been combing your forum, and I am hoping someone may be kind enough to put this weary mind to rest! I want to bloom where I shall next be planted, but there are several things about Wilmington that are distressing me.

My sincere thanks to anyone providing uplifting feedback. I want to find ways to feel better about this relocation and to make it a success.

1. Safety
I am a young woman who walks everywhere - I do not and will not have a vehicle. Trolley Square is an option for me, as I need to be able to walk downtown. Does anyone have any other safe neighborhood suggestions, perhaps with bus options? I'll be looking for an apartment in an old house/historic area.

Wilmington, for the most part, is infrastructurally walkable, however, you have to stay in the right areas. The residents will mess with you for walking through the wrong neighborhoods. To give you a background, the city had a really bad racial crisis in the 60s which obliterated the nightlife, commerce, and streetlife downtown. Because of this tension, you very likely can be acosted or robbed by walking through a black neighborhood if you're white, or, years ago, a white neighborhood if you were black. I wish it wasn't so, but it is, and it is very much evident. Unfortunately, it's not a city where you can skirt by walking through a bad neighborhood. It's just better to take a different route altogether.

However, the silver lining for you would be Trolley Square. Trolley Square has a direct connection to downtown via Pennsylvania and Delaware Avenues, and this area happens to be the lowest in crime and the safest part of the city. There are ample buses to take you downtown. Your only other option is downtown, which is barren and lifeless on nights and especially Sundays. Trolley Square itself, is at its peak during these times. Although you might be under the impression that downtown is where it is at, it is really the opposite. There IS vibrancy and stuff to do in Wilmington, however, due to the riots in the 60s, it "aint downtown nomore."

Also, I want to let you know UP FRONT that this is NOT a BIG CITY, and lend you the understanding that in Wilmington, buses don't run late, hardly past 10:00, and not at all on SUNDAYS. Although Trolley Square is enough to sustain anyone who lives in the neighborhood, you may end up driving if you wish to do stuff outside Trolley Square at night or on Sunday (the transit system is ridiculous and they're working on it.)

2. Aesthetics
I know I can walk into the Brandywine Park and to your art museum. Are there other areas of beauty reachable by foot/bus? I'm getting mixed reviews about your riverfront - is this truly a growing and attractive area?

The riverfront is growing in terms of condo development. The condo development unfortunately has eaten away at a few venues on the riverfront, but there is still some shopping, cafes, and restaurants worthwhile. All are accessable by the safe and beautiful riverwalk.

My favorite areas in Wilmington for food/drink/social interaction are Union Street (not too far from Trolley,) Trolley Square itself, and sometimes the Riverfront (a large club just closed, affecting this option.)

The Riverfront is, however, very aesthetically pleasing, and contains a large walk on which to bike, run, or stroll, with views of the skyline.

Rockford Park, around the Art Museum, is a beautiful park with paths and large rolling hills with views of beautiful 100+ year old homes and is a nice escape from the ugly. People take their dogs there often, and it happens to be Wilmington's dog park. Brandywine is also very beautiful, with bike paths sloping around a small river with wooden bridges and beautiful trees and foliage. Another escape from the ugly.
There are also Beautiful parkways such as Kentmere Parkway with large houses and tall, old trees through which to ride your bike, or jog.

3. Food
Someone on your forum described Wilmington as a culinary black hole, and my blood froze! There seems only to be an Acme in Trolley Square. Is there another neighborhood that has more grocery options (again, I am on foot)? Are there any farmers' markets? Community gardens?

Trolley Square is your best bet in terms of walkable neighborhoods with a grocery store. In terms of Culinary Black Hole, that is a totally bull**** statement. There are many decent restaurants in almost any area in that part of town, including our Little Italy, which has a decent number of nice restaurants (and quite a few crapholes.) The person who called it a Black Hole was likely a New Yorker or Philadelphian snob who should move back if they don't like it. Bigger cities are going to have more restaurants with better choices, it's logical. For its size, Wilmington kicks any comparable city's ass with nice places to eat, however all the ritzy whole foods stores are in the burbs. Become content with ACME if you're going to be walking.

Community Gardens? heh. good luck.

4. Camaraderie
Are there any neighborhood associations that are welcoming of new people? Book groups or cooking groups?

I'm sure there is. Wilmington is very welcoming of outsiders because of its location, however, I don't live there anymore, so you'll have to ask someone in the area.

5. Studio Requirements
I will require models if and when I establish a studio in Wilmington. Are there any portrait or figurative artist groups in Wilmington or nearby in DE? I am acquainted with much of what Philadelphia offers, but I will need to minimize travel and stay put in Wilmington for a time. If no one knows of such groups, perhaps someone out there is interested in beginning one with me? I am also acquainted with the DCCA.

Sorry, I have no idea.

Last edited by Joe84323; 05-11-2008 at 04:30 PM..

Old 05-11-2008, 04:40 PM

Joe84323:

Thank you very much for your reply. I'm used to things shutting down at 7:30/8 and quiet on Sundays...but thanks for letting me know that buses will also shut down early in Wilmington. Also, thank you for an alternate theory re: the black hole!

Best wishes.

Old 05-11-2008, 05:19 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,418,446 times
On a quick note, would just suggest going on meetup.com and giving your new zip code and interest (book clubs, cooking, artist/portrait groups etc) - you'll probably get several locations, it's a great way that a newcomer can meet local people w/ a common interest. The local library may have book clubs too and the local high school may have evening courses (I've taken several courses from cooking to foreign language etc - as an added bonus, I even met a former classmate of my hubby's from years gone by, it's a small world).

Can't answer your other questions but good luck w/ your upcoming move.

Old 05-11-2008, 05:28 PM

Hi, Honeycrisp ~

Thank you! That is a great suggestion - I'll look into it.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:29 PM

127 posts, read 489,932 times
Hi, I noticed that you asked about community gardens... this website may give a little info. Most of these places you can reach by bus. If you are interested in gardening yourself, you will enjoy the climate in Delaware... even with a little urban garden in Trolley Square!

Also, Longwood Gardens isn't far away, it's a real treasure. It's in Chester County, PA.

Delaware Garden Websites

Old 06-04-2008, 02:38 PM

1 posts, read 3,150 times
1. Safety
Highlands, Trolley Square, Union Park Gardens, 40 Acres, and Little Italy, are all relatively safe neighborhoods located in the west side of wilmington.

2. Aesthetics
The Riverfront is a nice up and coming area but i wouldnt advise walking there, especially at night, the area's around the waterfront are all pretty bad.

3. Food
There's a riverfront market near the waterfront, and Little Italy's neighborhood farmer's market. There's also a huge farmers market a few miles south in New Castle(very very far walk though)

4. Camaraderie
There are Neighborhood associations for almost every neighborhood

Little Italy: [url=http://www.discoverlittleitaly.com/home.htm]Little Italy - Wilmington, Delaware | Home of Saint Anthony's Italian Festival, fine dining, night life, and family neighborhood community[/url]
Trolley square/40 Acres/Highlands: [url=http://www.visittrolleysquare.com/links.cfm]Trolley Square Delaware Shopping, Activities, Events - visittrolleysquare.com[/url]
Union Park Gardens: [mod]link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed[/mod]

Last edited by Yac; 08-22-2013 at 07:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware