U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2008, 10:28 AM

425 posts, read 1,117,213 times

Advertisements

Hi, we have been trying frantically to find properties in NJ that we can afford but are coming up empty handed and quite depressed, as well. It's not so much the housing prices, it's the PROPERTY TAXES! Sorry, but I just had to yell. I'm sick of finding really nice homes and then finding out the taxes are $6000 plus. This is what knocks us out in qualifying as the taxes are always figured into what monthly mortgage payment one can afford.

We are looking for some acreage for a horse or two, a decent house, nothing special. I'm concerned that my husband will have trouble finding a job or have a long commute. He is an LPN and does nursing agency contract work. Currently he is making about $54000 a year (I get around $10000 Social Security). I'm trying to find out about nursing agencies around Bear and/or Wilmington but have just started my search.

Does anyone have any suggestions re: either properties or nursing jobs? I keep searching every day in NJ and by the end of the day am so depressed it's just terrible.

Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 10:46 PM

314 posts, read 874,759 times
ive got 43 acres for sale just over the border with delaware near Chestertown maryland.
Its ag district so taxes arent too bad.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:35 AM

Default Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cancan View Post
ive got 43 acres for sale just over the border with delaware near Chestertown maryland.
Its ag district so taxes arent too bad.
Trouble is, we're concerned about nursing job opportunities. The only thing good about NJ is there is plenty of work and the pay is pretty good. I'm not fooling myself into thinking we would get the same elsewhere.

Thanks for replying. Haven't really looked at Maryland yet but it might be worth more research into the state as a whole.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:53 AM

314 posts, read 874,759 times
Chestertown has a hospital....a hopkins partner I beleive....easton (30 minutes) also has a hospital. dover is 30-35 minutes, middletown is 30 minutes.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:08 AM

19,921 posts, read 10,332,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecayingAngel View Post
Hi, we have been trying frantically to find properties in NJ that we can afford but are coming up empty handed and quite depressed, as well. It's not so much the housing prices, it's the PROPERTY TAXES! Sorry, but I just had to yell. I'm sick of finding really nice homes and then finding out the taxes are $6000 plus. This is what knocks us out in qualifying as the taxes are always figured into what monthly mortgage payment one can afford.

We are looking for some acreage for a horse or two, a decent house, nothing special. I'm concerned that my husband will have trouble finding a job or have a long commute. He is an LPN and does nursing agency contract work. Currently he is making about $54000 a year (I get around $10000 Social Security). I'm trying to find out about nursing agencies around Bear and/or Wilmington but have just started my search.

Does anyone have any suggestions re: either properties or nursing jobs? I keep searching every day in NJ and by the end of the day am so depressed it's just terrible.

Thanks in advance.
Doing a Google search for nursing agencies in Bear shows the following:
Nursing agencies Bear DE - Google Search

There were ten agencies listed. Good luck.

Charley

Old 05-26-2008, 10:29 AM

957 posts, read 3,454,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecayingAngel View Post
Trouble is, we're concerned about nursing job opportunities. The only thing good about NJ is there is plenty of work and the pay is pretty good. I'm not fooling myself into thinking we would get the same elsewhere.
Medical related jobs, from what I hear from friends in the business, aren't doing too bad in DE. The Northern part of the state has more money floating around, but the Southern part has become the next Florida. Sussex county is becoming one big retirement home and the need for medical care has increased accordingly. There are medical facilities, nursing homes and assisted living homes popping up faster than residential homes. They all need a nursing staff.

Old 05-26-2008, 01:42 PM

Thanks to all. We'll be doing some research and hopefully can find something. Things are really going downhill fast here in NJ. At least being in the medical profession, he is somewhat recession proof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware