Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 05:17 PM

12 posts, read 120,530 times

Advertisements

I'm running out of ideas about where to look in Delaware, and could use any suggestions anyone has.

We're looking for something at least 2200 sq ft (we need 2 bedrooms and 2 studies -- we both bring a lot of work home) in New Castle County. Location is difficult because I need to commute to Dover, while my spouse commutes to Newark. Much of our social life is in Philly, and the traffic seems lighter going south to work, so we've scoured the Bear area.

I finally figured out that I just don't like the developments DE is full of. I grew up in New England, and I seem to like privacy, lots of trees and houses that are a bit . . . quirky, I guess. Every time I see a non-development house, I see "coming development" signs all around it. I really don't want to move to MD or NJ, but I'm beginning to wonder if we have any other choice.

Do those of you who have been here longer than I have have any other ideas about where we should be looking?

Thanks,
Jade
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 05:25 PM

957 posts, read 3,698,765 times
Well, assuming you're not in the city, if you are not in a development, you're probably in the middle of a corn field...and you're probably right. Eventually it will be a development. I'm from New England also. You just won't find New England charm in DE.

I'd think you'd have better luck looking further north around Wilmington or Newark.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:28 PM

405 posts, read 1,374,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeG View Post
I'm running out of ideas about where to look in Delaware, and could use any suggestions anyone has.

We're looking for something at least 2200 sq ft (we need 2 bedrooms and 2 studies -- we both bring a lot of work home) in New Castle County. Location is difficult because I need to commute to Dover, while my spouse commutes to Newark. Much of our social life is in Philly, and the traffic seems lighter going south to work, so we've scoured the Bear area.

I finally figured out that I just don't like the developments DE is full of. I grew up in New England, and I seem to like privacy, lots of trees and houses that are a bit . . . quirky, I guess. Every time I see a non-development house, I see "coming development" signs all around it. I really don't want to move to MD or NJ, but I'm beginning to wonder if we have any other choice.

Do those of you who have been here longer than I have have any other ideas about where we should be looking?

Thanks,
Jade

You should try Townsend, some older parts of Middletown, Odessa and Symrna.

Townsend is my first choice we almost bought there, it was on an acre of land, with rows of corn fields surrounding it. But we didn't get it there was another buyer involved and it got really messy. But we loved the privacy it was on a country road but then in 10 minutes you were in town.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:55 PM

Thanks rossc. We did see some cool houses in the 19711 zip code. I cringe a little at the 55-minute-each-way commute to Dover from there. Same with Wilmington. I love some of the old houses I see advertised there, but the commute is over an hour.

Maybe I need to buy a cornfield . . . :-)

Old 05-28-2008, 06:58 PM

Townsend, Odessa, Smyrna . . . I'll look there. Thanks, Laural. I've looked at the older part of Middletown -- everything I like there seems frighteningly close to that *huge* firehouse. I've never seen a firehouse that big. It looks like it could wake up the whole town.

Jade

Old 05-28-2008, 08:59 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,414,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossc View Post
You just won't find New England charm in DE.
You will, you just gotta pay for it

Old 05-29-2008, 06:57 AM

957 posts, read 3,698,765 times
DE just doesn't have the landscape that makes up most of what we consider New England charm. Building a nice New England cape in the middle of a corn field doesn't quite cut it.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:20 AM

271 posts, read 995,258 times
I agree with rossc that you're unlikely to find anywhere reminiscent of New England in Delaware, though parts of this state are charming in their own way. I'm still going to get around to posting some of my Delaware pics!

I've lived in Delaware more than 30 years, grew up in New Jersey, but spent a great deal of time in New England, and much of that area of the country is unique.

Strangely, my home town in NJ came about as close to a NE town, in some ways, as any I've seen outside of NE.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:40 AM

405 posts, read 1,374,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossc View Post
DE just doesn't have the landscape that makes up most of what we consider New England charm. Building a nice New England cape in the middle of a corn field doesn't quite cut it.
Rossc, boy you have a way with words. I was thinking of the privacy factor, and not having a lot of people around, because I thought it was obvious that you aren't going to get the New England charm in this part of the country. geesh.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:36 PM

87 posts, read 311,725 times
How about looking in Oaklands or Nottingham Green. Both developments are older ones (especially Oaklands) in Newark and are not as cookie-cutter as all these newer ones. You can walk to downtown Newark and enjoy all the amenities of the University of Delaware such as recitals, plays, etc. That's where I would look. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware