Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 10:52 PM

256 posts, read 1,403,770 times

Advertisements

How is the area around Dover Air Force Base.... I'm looking into an assignment there. Im from California(SF Bay AREA) to be exact how different is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 04:23 AM

903 posts, read 3,505,674 times
Can't tell you how DAFB area compares to San Francisco, but we like it here in DE. We live in the Camden-Wyoming area, which is just south of Dover, and a little west of the AFB itself.

From what we have learned in our 10 months here, the Dover area is pretty family friendly. Please post more of what you are comparing or interested in knowing; there are several regular posters in the general vicinity that will give you a lot of good information.

Good luck with your research!

Mary

Old 06-20-2008, 06:24 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,671,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromthebay View Post
How is the area around Dover Air Force Base.... I'm looking into an assignment there. Im from California(SF Bay AREA) to be exact how different is it?
I live near the base and the comparison is night and day. Rural and quiet. Not much excitment but more family living. We moved to Magnolia, which is near the base, a year ago to retire. A nice place to raise children I understand.

There is plenty to do in the surrounding areas. Check out the thread "what I like about Delaware". You are only a half hour from the beaches. We go almost all year.
I can tell you De is a friendly place. Oh and tax free shopping.
Would you be living on Base or looking for a home?

Old 06-20-2008, 08:08 AM

699 posts, read 2,895,269 times
Quote:
Well lets see. San Fran has steep hills and the entire state of DE is flat. Housing costs in San Fran are is the highest in the country. DE will be extremely more economical if you are living off base. San Fran has a moderate climate all year long. DE has change of seasons our temps can range from 20's in the winter to high 90's in the summer. We have snow but very little to speak of. San Fran has a huge tourist attraction. DE has nice beaches, lots of nature preserves and it is within 2 hours of Washington , DC , Baltimore and Philadelphia. San Fran has cable cars and BART. DE has DART but is lacking a good transportation system. We live in Magnolia which is the next exit from the base. It is a beautiful area but extremely different than the San Francisco area. Hope this helps.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:23 PM

405 posts, read 1,375,263 times
Quote:
What city are you from, I grew up in that area, San Jose to be exact. The weather is the biggest difference. It rains a lot here, but not all day it could rain as little as 10 minutes everyday or there are days where it could rain longer. Lots and Lots of thunder and lightening storms. It's more humid here, not that bad so far, I've only been here a few months. More cloudy days. On the plus side, things are much cheaper here. Homes, insurance, gas, restaurants, and no sales tax. People are VERY friendly. The area is beautiful, open farm lands, a lot less congested, most people do not have fences. On sunny days it's gorgeous. So far we really like it. Hopefully this answers your questions, if not ask some more, being from California myself, I have a good idea what you will encounter. It is almost like stepping into a different culture being on the East Coast. Everything looks different, people have accents, etc.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by from PA View Post
Well lets see. San Fran has steep hills and the entire state of DE is flat. Housing costs in San Fran are is the highest in the country. DE will be extremely more economical if you are living off base. San Fran has a moderate climate all year long. DE has change of seasons our temps can range from 20's in the winter to high 90's in the summer. We have snow but very little to speak of. San Fran has a huge tourist attraction. DE has nice beaches, lots of nature preserves and it is within 2 hours of Washington , DC , Baltimore and Philadelphia. San Fran has cable cars and BART. DE has DART but is lacking a good transportation system. We live in Magnolia which is the next exit from the base. It is a beautiful area but extremely different than the San Francisco area. Hope this helps.
PA FYI, SF bay area expands beyond just SF, so everything you said is true only of SF, but not of the area. SF, also has beaches as well. Just thought you might want to know.

Old 06-20-2008, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laural View Post
PA FYI, SF bay area expands beyond just SF, so everything you said is true only of SF, but not of the area. SF, also has beaches as well. Just thought you might want to know.
Hi Laural,
I guess the point I was trying to make was that in DE the beaches are the attraction whereas SF area has lots more to offer as far as tourism is concerned. It's funny that you say we have accents here. My husband is from S. CA and he has an accent. BTW he asked me to find out if anyone knows if Hunters Point is still there.

Last edited by from PA; 06-20-2008 at 05:00 PM..

Old 06-20-2008, 06:47 PM

256 posts, read 1,403,770 times
Quote:
Hi Laural,
I guess the point I was trying to make was that in DE the beaches are the attraction whereas SF area has lots more to offer as far as tourism is concerned. It's funny that you say we have accents here. My husband is from S. CA and he has an accent. BTW he asked me to find out if anyone knows if Hunters Point is still there.
lol hunters point is still here... it is not a naval base anymore but instead it is one of the worst housing projects in california

Old 06-20-2008, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Hi Laural,
Delaware is a melting pot for different accents NY, NJ, Philly, Italian. I don't know if DE it self has an accent some else can answer that. It's fun to hear the accents though. But I think your still confused on what the SF bay area is, I grew up in and lived in several cities in the SF bay area, it can be physically an hour away from SF. But still be called the SF bay area and some areas are also called Silicon Valley, and it's not tourist area like SF. It's flat, and in a valley. It's not as pretty as So Cal. North CA, and So Cal are very different. But now I'm here in wonderful friendly Delaware.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:29 PM

Quote:
lol hunters point is still here... it is not a naval base anymore but instead it is one of the worst housing projects in california
Not a base anymore? He said not surprised. He is going back 40 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware