Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 03:31 PM

9,720 posts, read 14,259,318 times

Advertisements

Thought I'd start this thread, for those of us enjoying live music, in general, in and around the State of Delaware. If you have any favorite bands, I'd love to hear of them, and where they've played, or are playing, and any of your favorite venues.

One of our all time favorite bands, is Voyager, featuring Kenny Pennington. They recently made a come back, played at JW's at the Hamlet Shopping Center in late April and May, and again at Bubbas. We caught both of the JW shows, but could someone clarify his gig at Bubbas? It may have been Saturday night, the 5th, and we could have missed it. For good old rock 'n roll, we consider that band one of the best. JW's was rocking the walls, with standing room only for both of those shows. I see where Mike Hinds will be at Bubbas the first weekend of August, I believe. He has some very smooth, soulful sounds, and for those not knowing Mike, you're missing out.

The Touchdown has some pretty good bands, and that's a great place to catch Joey Faulkerson's bluesy Somethin' for Nothin' Band. Joey goes back a long way in the Delaware music scene, and even travelled with Chubby Checker for awhile. Nobody's better than local, Joey, with the blues.....and the blues harp!

Seafood City was featuring Salli and Jimi on Sunday nights, not the best night for us to get out and catch live music, but they are a great twosome. Not sure if that's still taking place, but if you see Salli and Jimi's name, make a point to stop and catch their show. Salli, is Joey's (above) sister, and their brother is also very musically talented. Oh, and Salli and Jimi played on The Green at one of their Thursday night lawn chair events.

The Honeycombs are oldies, but goodies, going back to the 60's, also featured in the Dover Thursday night series. With them, you can always be assured of a good time. Memo: JP's on the wharf at North Bowers, has a live band schedule, and we must remember to check that. Always a great time there!

Another great choice is Fuzzbox Piranha! Wow! For really good Zeppelin or Neil Young oldies, you don't won't to miss this band. They also play at JW's, and I know we'll be there on July 18th for that. They are local guys, and Jim Rezac from Dover, is one of the three in that group. We've followed him for years. They've played at Long Neck, Rock Hall, MD and really keep busy.

Other venues to catch live music would be the Garden Cafe' at Dover Downs, and Sol Knopf is at the Lobby Bar quite often. Smithers has some live music, as well as the Lobby House, and Irish Mike's. But check their schedules, they don't ALWAYS have music. The Zoo Bar at the Sheraton quit hiring live music. We were there race weekend, and their sound system was very good.....nothing like live music as far as we're concerned.....but that was a nice room.

There are other great bands in this area, too many to mention, but I hope some of you are moved to mention your favorites. Wilmington has a great music scene, I understand, and the beach area does also. We frequent Ruddertowne quite a bit, and years ago Fager's Island was one of our favorite places. Do any of you Sussex people know if Fager's Island is closed? There was some really good entertainment there. Ruddertowne will have their usual rock 'n roll free for all, (battle of the bands type event) late September, I believe, and we usually get a room down there, across from Ruddertowne for that. (off season rates, no traffic jams, YEA!) An added plus, is the Jolly Trollies are still running the loop to Rehoboth and back to Dewey Beach, until after midnight.

Last edited by rdlr; 07-06-2008 at 04:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 10:01 PM

699 posts, read 2,894,899 times
WOW rdlr, I had no idea there was such a variety of music venues in the area. Thanks for the heads up.

I do agree about JP's in Bowers Beach. Went with a neighbor recently on a Friday night. The band was called Nothin' But Trouble. I thoroughly enjoyed the evening and the music was nothin' but great!!!

Old 07-07-2008, 03:56 AM

9,720 posts, read 14,259,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by from PA View Post
WOW rdlr, I had no idea there was such a variety of music venues in the area. Thanks for the heads up.

I do agree about JP's in Bowers Beach. Went with a neighbor recently on a Friday night. The band was called Nothin' But Trouble. I thoroughly enjoyed the evening and the music was nothin' but great!!!
Whoops! My Boo Boo! Joey's band is Nothin' But Trouble! Somethin' for Nothin' is from Wilmington! How did I get those two confused?

Old 07-07-2008, 05:30 PM

243 posts, read 914,762 times
Well, one more thing for us to look forward to. We love great music of all kinds. My children especially like the evening in the park kind where you bring your own beach chairs. Too busy packing to enjoy that stuff this summer. Maybe we will be able to enjoy some in Delaware. Will do that research after we are settled.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:51 PM

903 posts, read 3,505,302 times
Wow! For such a small state, there seems to be more than a lot to choose from! With kids, we are like movn2del... more the music in the park or on the beach type folks. Not to say we grown ups don't enjoy the "other stuff"... we just never get much time for it right now.

On a bit of a different note, I have met several musically talented people in my travels here in DE. Everyday people... a waitress at Country Eatery does Streisand impersonations on the side, another fella I met at the automotive shop has a country band that plays all over at VFW halls and the like.

Gotta love music!

Mary

Old 07-13-2008, 10:04 AM

84 posts, read 333,733 times
Mike Hines is great! I have seen him in several places. He left the area for a while but recently came back. He has started to play again more often. You should definitely try to catch him somewhere. I have also met him personally through a friend of mine. Super nice guy!

Old 08-02-2008, 07:45 AM

15 posts, read 58,969 times
I love Fuzzbox Piranha! Great band. One question: Why don't people dance when they play JW's? It's sad!

Old 08-03-2008, 05:30 PM

I know it was said in the DE State Fair thread, but there were are few bands performing in the DE Electric Coop tent (free entertainment, no less) at the fair that I think are at least worth a mention.

To the best of my recollection, there was a group called Vocal Trash, who's instruments included metal garbage cans & lids, etc. They did a good assortment of music, and were crowd pleasers young and old. Not sure if they are locals, or not, but they were great!

There was also the US Navy Electric Brigade Band, over from Annapolis, that performed almost nightly. We didn't catch their show, but I heard they were terrific!

And then there was Monument, a group that did a lot of Christian/contemporary gospel music. My folks really liked their show; we were over at the 4-H barns at that time.

That is only a highlight of the many performers that presented at the State Fair. For such a little state, there was an aweful lot of TALENT to go around! We can't wait to see what is there next year, and hope to find these (and other groups not mentioned) playing somewhere else nearby!

Mary

Old 08-03-2008, 07:41 PM

15 posts, read 58,969 times
There will be a great musical event in Dover on October 12th at Jonathan's Landing. It is a fundraiser in memory of a dear friend of mine, Sybil Harvey. There will be many local bands playing. It will be from 1p.m. - 7 p.m. Watch the Delaware State News and listen to the local radio stations for more info, or write to me here for more information as things shape up. Sybil died after a very short battle with leukemia and the fundraiser will be to benefit her three children, 25, 19, and 14. Great cause and great place for a big party! Jim Rezac of Fuzzbox is a good friend of mine and I know he is "in" even if the rest of the band can't play the event. He will jam. Kenny Pennington is "in", too. "The Draw" is kicking things off. Anyone interested in the event, please write! Any bands out there interested? Good PR promised!

Old 08-04-2008, 04:48 AM

Wow, dovergirl, sorry to hear about your friend. I have 3 kids close to the same ages, plus a younger one than that. This hits too close to home!

Sounds like great community support for her family, and I for one will be on the lookout for further information. If the moderators think this is too much like advertising, please PM me closer to the event date. And if I remember it (way too busy right now), I'll put a plug in with performers I'm trippin' across in my goings and comings!

Thanks for the post!

Mary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware