Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2008, 10:55 AM

5 posts, read 11,002 times

Advertisements

My husband is considering a job in Willmington DE and we are trying to get a sense of where we would live & what we could get for our $. It seems like people commute in from all over. I would really appreciate advice as to where we should look. Some details:

- We would be buying a single family home in the $375 to $450 range.
- We have a 2 year old, and would want a good school district.
- My husband would not want to commute more than 30-40 minutes (less is, of course, better!)
- We enjoy the outdoors & more of a town/community feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 11:49 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,254,679 times
Middletown fits your criteria. You can easily find a house in your price range, and the schools are good. Middletown has an actual downtown area and many activities. It is a growing area, and you should be able to find anything that you would want in that area. Unless there is an accident or it is a Friday during the summer (going to Middletown from Wilmington), the commute should be about 40 minutes.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:30 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,927,672 times
Do you and your husband really enjoy a daily commute? My advice would be North Wilmington in the Brandywine school district.

Old 11-11-2008, 03:14 PM

5 posts, read 11,002 times
Default Thank you

Thanks for the replies thus far. Of course, we'd like for my husband to have as short a commute as possible. I just did not know how far out we would have to go for our price range. We definitely don't want to be in the middle of nowhere. The Brandywine school district seems very nice; though it does to be at the upper end (or higher) of our price range.

What about the suburbs of Philadelphia? Too far?

Old 11-11-2008, 05:18 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,402,509 times
The suburbs of Philadelphia go anywhere from 20 minutes away from Wilmington, to an hour and a half away from Wilmington. Philly encompasses a huge area. For example, I consider Claymont, DE to be a dul Wilmington-Philadelphia suburban town.

I would say North Wilmington, in a nice neighborhood, or maybe West Chester if you don't mind a commute.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:05 PM

You can get a house in "North Wilmington" that is within the Brandywine school dist. for 400-450K, especially in the present economy. Indeed, you can get one in the 300'sK. Get a realtor here in greater Wilmington, give him/her your criteria, and get to work finding a house here with a 12 min. drive to work!

The Millman Realty website has a great MLS search feature you can use to look at properties - I strongly recommend it.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:10 PM

656 posts, read 1,349,809 times
I would suggest Hockessin and you are only about 20min from Wilmington.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:25 AM

Hockessin certainly puts you in a more reasonable range of Wilmington and amenities elsewhere in northern DE. I don't think you will find that housing stock will be cheaper per se in Hockessin, though there is plenty on the market and much of what's there will be newer and more up to date than homes in your price range in North Wilmington. Frankly, I'd look in both areas. I personally would not wish to live in Hockessin because it's less convenient than Wilmington/North Wilmington/Greenville. However, I like to be maximally close to everything and many people are less fussy about that. If you include houses in both North Wilmington and Hockessin, and then just look at properties on their individual merits, I think you'll do ok. One warning about Hockessin: you are far more likely to have to buy a place out there that has an oil fueled heating system, I think, than in North Wilmington, if that makes a difference to you. While some homes in North Wilmington will also rely on heating oil, it is far more likely that you will be looking at homes there with natural gas for heating. To me it's a significant consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware