Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 10:42 AM

6 posts, read 15,719 times

Advertisements

Hello,

my husband is going to work at the UD as a research scholar and I and our two small dogs are coming with him. I read a lot at the www about Newark but I would be very thankful for any information. Another thing is the housing. In Germany we do not have such apt.complexes like you have in the states and we would really prefer an own house with our dogs - to rent because we will only stay for 7 months. Moreover I read so many terrible things about these apt. complexes.
I've already found craigslist in the internet but does anyone have another tip where to find a place to live. We will arrive at the beginning of March and then we will need a place to live asap. I saw that the houses etc. on craigslist are mostly near-term (I hope this is the right expression???). And so another important question: which are the best areas to live or which should we definitely avoid? We will buy a car so commuting is not a problem.
And how is it in the states with dogs? Where can we go for a walk? Are they allowed to run free? Are dogs allowed on the beaches?
Everything is so exciting and we are so looking forward to coming to Newark!!!

So, thank you in advance for any tips!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 12:39 PM

361 posts, read 1,946,719 times
Hi Lennyfine,

You might want to try to UD classifieds - they are open just to the UD community:

https://primus.nss.udel.edu/classifieds/

I'm not familiar with the expression "near-term". Do you mean for a few months? We would call that "short-term".

I don't own any pets, but here's a link to the municipal code http://www.municode.com/Resources/ga...id=10128&sid=8 Chapter 5 talks about animals - sounds like you have to have them on a leash. Some cities have dog runs or dog parks where you can let your dog run in enclosed spaces. And oh, I was recently at Dewey Beach and there were many dogs running free there.

Welcome to UD! Everyone is so nice here - you'll love it!

Old 11-18-2008, 12:41 PM

324 posts, read 1,220,295 times
If you are looking for a NICE place to rent that is close to the University area (and you want a house as opposed to an apartment), I would suggest St. Andrews.
St. Andrews Apartments Bear, DE - Apartments for Rent in Bear Delaware

I have heard nothing but good things from people that I have spoken to that live in this community. It is fairly close to the university (10-15 minutes maximum) and close to the highway to allow you to go to Philadelphia/New York/Baltimore/Washington, DC within a few hours at most.

I don't know if there is anything closer in the Paper Mill or Hockessin area (north/northwest of town) but most of the units for rent in the town Newark are geared towards younger college aged folks who don't mind an older unit without nice amenities.

As far as dogs...
We generally are a dog loving country BUT letting your dog roam free is not a good idea. In the areas outside of Newark, there are many county/US highways where speed is posted at 50 MPH but often exceeds 70 MPH (105kph+) - very dangerous for a roaming dog.

Dogs will need to be licensed and generally leashed when outside. Cleaning up after them is required. In the Newark area, there is a new dog park area in Iron Hill Park (despite what you may have read, they closed it for a while and it is getting cleaned up and police patrol it to keep lewd activities down) where big dogs and little dogs have their own areas where they can run around in a large caged area with other dogs. Also, Main St in Newark (downtown) is very dog friendly (for well behaved dogs) and you can often see dogs sitting under tables with their owners eating a meal or enjoying a snack. Also, there is a new county park (300 acres) down the road from St Andrews with a large walking path and plenty of open space. Dogs are seen walking there all the time (again, generally leashed).

As far as state parks and beaches, I don't think there is anything that would prevent you from taking your dog on the beach in the off season but during the warmer months, I believe dogs are frowned upon on the beaches and boardwalk (aside from early morning).

Good luck - you must be very excited!

Old 11-18-2008, 12:43 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,974,466 times
Importing dogs into the US is not a big problem if you have a certificate of rabies vaccination, and of course the airline will require a health certificate done within 72 hours of departure. However, if your dogs don't already have a European Pet Passport, by all means get them for each of your pets. Otherwise you may have trouble getting them back into Germany, and you may really have problems if they make a stopover in the UK en route to or from the USA (I formerly lived in London, had cats in quarantine there and met people whose dogs had been mistakenly shipped through the UK en route to somewhere else and got stuck there until they met the 6 month quarantine requirment -- I knew a lady who travelled from Brussells every week to visit her two dogs who were being detained in the UK!).

Your dogs may not run free outside and it isn't a good idea anyway. The public beaches in Delaware tend to have restrictions on dogs between the months of June and September, though some people ignore this and do take their dogs to the seaside (I see it on the gay part of the beach at Rehoboth Beach, Delaware all the time).

If you are only going to be here 7 months you may find it difficult to rent a house. Most leases would be for a year. Apartment complexes, realistically, are a better option, since a 6 month lease is not uncommon for these and you could no doubt get a lease for 7 months. Could your husband get a colleague or someone in his academic department at UD to try to help make arrangements? In any case, I doubt you will be able to do much about finding a place to rent before February or maybe late January, given that you won't actually be coming over until March.

Again, be careful you take the necessary steps regarding your dogs. If you would like, I can give you the name of a business in New Jersey that I used to help fly my cats between Austin, Texas and Vilnius, Lithuania, via Frankfort, and then again to receive them at the airport in Newark New Jersey (not to be confused with Newark, Delaware) and transport them down to me in Wilmington, Delaware. Let me know if you would like the contact details for this business. They were invaluable to getting my cats back and forth from Europe.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:25 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
There is a dog beach at Lum's Pond, which is just a few minutes away from Newark.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Importing dogs into the US is not a big problem if you have a certificate of rabies vaccination, and of course the airline will require a health certificate done within 72 hours of departure. However, if your dogs don't already have a European Pet Passport, by all means get them for each of your pets. Otherwise you may have trouble getting them back into Germany, and you may really have problems if they make a stopover in the UK en route to or from the USA (I formerly lived in London, had cats in quarantine there and met people whose dogs had been mistakenly shipped through the UK en route to somewhere else and got stuck there until they met the 6 month quarantine requirment -- I knew a lady who travelled from Brussells every week to visit her two dogs who were being detained in the UK!).

Your dogs may not run free outside and it isn't a good idea anyway. The public beaches in Delaware tend to have restrictions on dogs between the months of June and September, though some people ignore this and do take their dogs to the seaside (I see it on the gay part of the beach at Rehoboth Beach, Delaware all the time).

If you are only going to be here 7 months you may find it difficult to rent a house. Most leases would be for a year. Apartment complexes, realistically, are a better option, since a 6 month lease is not uncommon for these and you could no doubt get a lease for 7 months. Could your husband get a colleague or someone in his academic department at UD to try to help make arrangements? In any case, I doubt you will be able to do much about finding a place to rent before February or maybe late January, given that you won't actually be coming over until March.

Again, be careful you take the necessary steps regarding your dogs. If you would like, I can give you the name of a business in New Jersey that I used to help fly my cats between Austin, Texas and Vilnius, Lithuania, via Frankfort, and then again to receive them at the airport in Newark New Jersey (not to be confused with Newark, Delaware) and transport them down to me in Wilmington, Delaware. Let me know if you would like the contact details for this business. They were invaluable to getting my cats back and forth from Europe.
Hi,
thank you for your information. It would be great if you could give me the contact details of this business. We already have one here in Germany and they arrange everything for our flight to the States. We will have a direct flight from Frankfurt to Philadelphia.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katreese View Post
Hi Lennyfine,

You might want to try to UD classifieds - they are open just to the UD community:

https://primus.nss.udel.edu/classifieds/

I'm not familiar with the expression "near-term". Do you mean for a few months? We would call that "short-term".

I don't own any pets, but here's a link to the municipal code http://www.municode.com/Resources/ga...id=10128&sid=8 Chapter 5 talks about animals - sounds like you have to have them on a leash. Some cities have dog runs or dog parks where you can let your dog run in enclosed spaces. And oh, I was recently at Dewey Beach and there were many dogs running free there.

Welcome to UD! Everyone is so nice here - you'll love it!
Thanks for your answer!
I think I realy meant short-term. Here it is normal that you look at least three months in advance or longer if you want to move to another place. I've already checked the UD classifieds but we did not find anything. But I'm sure that we will find something nice to live and it is still some time left...//pics3.city-data.com/forum/ima...lies/smile.gif

Old 11-18-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlydude View Post
If you are looking for a NICE place to rent that is close to the University area (and you want a house as opposed to an apartment), I would suggest St. Andrews.
St. Andrews Apartments Bear, DE - Apartments for Rent in Bear Delaware

I have heard nothing but good things from people that I have spoken to that live in this community. It is fairly close to the university (10-15 minutes maximum) and close to the highway to allow you to go to Philadelphia/New York/Baltimore/Washington, DC within a few hours at most.

I don't know if there is anything closer in the Paper Mill or Hockessin area (north/northwest of town) but most of the units for rent in the town Newark are geared towards younger college aged folks who don't mind an older unit without nice amenities.

As far as dogs...
We generally are a dog loving country BUT letting your dog roam free is not a good idea. In the areas outside of Newark, there are many county/US highways where speed is posted at 50 MPH but often exceeds 70 MPH (105kph+) - very dangerous for a roaming dog.

Dogs will need to be licensed and generally leashed when outside. Cleaning up after them is required. In the Newark area, there is a new dog park area in Iron Hill Park (despite what you may have read, they closed it for a while and it is getting cleaned up and police patrol it to keep lewd activities down) where big dogs and little dogs have their own areas where they can run around in a large caged area with other dogs. Also, Main St in Newark (downtown) is very dog friendly (for well behaved dogs) and you can often see dogs sitting under tables with their owners eating a meal or enjoying a snack. Also, there is a new county park (300 acres) down the road from St Andrews with a large walking path and plenty of open space. Dogs are seen walking there all the time (again, generally leashed).

As far as state parks and beaches, I don't think there is anything that would prevent you from taking your dog on the beach in the off season but during the warmer months, I believe dogs are frowned upon on the beaches and boardwalk (aside from early morning).

Good luck - you must be very excited!
Thanks for your suggestion! I will check St. Andrews. It is so nice to get so many tips.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
There is a dog beach at Lum's Pond, which is just a few minutes away from Newark.
Thanks!

Old 11-18-2008, 05:06 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,974,466 times
The business I have used in the past that helps with air shipping of pets is Airborne Animals, tel 908-684-1844, fax 908-684-1845, e-mail sally@airborneanimals.com; website www.airborneanimals.com The owner and main contact person is called Sally. You usually have to leave a message but she is very good about getting back to you. We have had a completely positive experience with her. She prefers to use the Newark airport for shipping pets because she knows all the staff there who deal with receiving animals. However, I know that she will deal with other airports. She made arrangements for us also at the airports in Austin, Texas and in Frankfurt. It should not be any problem for her to deal with Philadelphia International.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware