Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 12:16 PM

21 posts, read 93,689 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys

We are planning to move to Newark from India, kindy suggest how good is the place for a couple with reference to safety, cost of living & survival for long term. Will be very thankful for genuine reviews & suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 04:15 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,340,579 times
Please provide more information such as why you are moving--work? school? Do you need to be near a certain area such as University of Delaware? What type of budget are you working with? Do you have children (schools, activities)? Long term means what? We can all provide information if we know what needs you have.

Old 12-13-2008, 07:16 PM

Default Moving to Newark from India

Hi

Yes, we both are working in India & would resume our jobs in the same financial institution in Newark. We do not have kids. I am not sure of where exactly we will have to stay, but I guess it wuld be around "Christiana Road". But basicallly we would prefer to stay in a good colony which is safe. I went through the reviews & afraid to say that many people state its not a safe place:-((
Do people still sell Drugs on the roads & there are stolen cars & other problems (or have I read very old reviews which do not apply now)
Also, it seems the cost of living is higher than the avg cost of living in US. Our basic motive of coming over there to work is to have some good savings. Would like to know, how much would a descent 1 bedroom, living & kitchen cost in a good area (where there are good people around)?
No hard feelings please, I really dont want to comment anything about Newark as I have not seen it, but being a young couple...I do have my own fears...Thankyou again & awaiting early response..

Old 12-13-2008, 08:49 PM

You can expect the rent for a one bedroom apartment to vary from $700 per month to over $1100 per month. There is no sales tax in Delaware, and I have found car insurance to be low. In fact, I find the cost of living here much lower than it was when I lived in Philly. Crime is everywhere, not just in Delaware. Like anywhere, you have to be observant and just be careful. Newark is a college town and has had its share of attacks on the students. I think Christiana Road might be Route 273, and if it is, Christiana Meadows looks like a nice complex. I am sure that someone on this board would be familiar with the apartment complex and will add to this. Anyway, it is in a convenient location.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:09 PM

Thankyou for your prompt response...would like to have some more information like:
Is there any Indian population out there?
How about shopping complex & food habits?
Is it safe to be walking on the road after 8pm or driving to some place in the nights?
What do we have there to do in the weekends?
Christiana Meadows...can someone give more information about this place, which are the other good places near to Route 273?
How is the weather...is it too cold or too humid?
Since, we want to stay there for more than 2yrs...would prefer to have answers...
I need to take a decision soon..please respond...Thankyou again SXM

Old 12-14-2008, 02:58 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,975,473 times
I wonder if you've visited the US anywhere besides New York City. If not, you should understand that most of the USA does not lend itself to walking as a means to get anywhere and that public transport is very, very poor in all but a few major cities. I'm reacting to your question about the safety of walking along the road after dark. You will almost certainly need a car in Newark. As to other issues, there is a visible Indian population in the north New Castle County area and I believe there is a Hindu temple around Hockessin, which is a few miles from Newark, so that would be a focus of community. I am afraid you may find the prospect of accumulating significant savings whilst living in the US to be a disappointment. Further, the economy is so shakey at the moment that you should be very sure that your job will not disappear during the 2 years or so that you say you would be planning to stay.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:17 AM

doctorjef is correct about the Delaware economy. Massive layoffs of BOA are expected. If you plan to be here for at least two years. you will need a Plan B and even C. There are regular grocery stores, and some ethnic specialty grocers. Not sure if there is an Indian grocery but I woud not be surprised to find them in the area. Weather is humid in summer and cool in the winter; except this winter is supposed to have heavy precipitation in the form of snow. However, we really haven't had any significant amount of snow in a few years. There is diverse shopping with one large mall and many strip malls. There is a BJ's and Costco, membership clubs, and the New Castle Farmers Market. Other than route 73, there is 7, 40, 4, 58, and 2. Plus I95 and 495. All of these are in the New Castle and Newark areas. I probably would not choose to live in New Castle except for Olde New Castle. Even that can be iffy depending on what street you choose.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:37 AM

Thankyou Dr Jef & SXM, I am really thankful for your genuine response, My husband has been in Houston for quite sometime.I understand we would require a car while our stay at Newark & we were planning for the same. But just in case if we had to walk down the road...I was wondering how safe it would be. Regarding the Job safety...you are right & this is one of our major concerns, we are being sent by our company & before agreeing for the project, we would certainlly clarify all those concerns. We are planning to stay in Newark only..as you said if we can get a place in "Christiana Meadows" or any other good place to stay then it would be fine. Tomorrow is the decision day...if our company gives an answer for all our concerns ....then we may agree for a shift from India to there)...however, thankyou for all your help, please keep me updated if you know about any good place to stay.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:36 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,975,473 times
Just wanted to say that I don't think Newark is generally unsafe, nor anywhere in Delaware other than some relatively small areas in the central City of Wilmington, where people outside a deep poverty culture afflicted with serious criminality wouldn't be living anyway (this is not to dismiss the human beings who are caught in that poverty and crime culture, but just to recognise that it isn't something that directly affects most people). I think as long as you have a car to get around in, you will be fine in Newark/Greater Wilmington. The area is, of course, a lot smaller than Houston, so that has advantages and disadvantages -- overall, life should be a great deal more relaxed than in Houston!

Old 12-15-2008, 01:52 AM

Thankyou Dr Jef, this forum is a wonderful to way to have answers for our queries. I really appreciate your comments. I am a bit relaxed with regards to the safety part, now just let me get an answer of my job security & the Package me & my husband would draw there...if everything works fine...then we would be there in 09. In the mean time, it would be helpful if anyone can give us details of different places in Newark where we can rent a single bedroom apartment, also what documents do we have to submit incase we have to take the place for rent. And how about the tax, can I have the details of the percentage of Tax that we need to pay there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware