Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 02:40 PM

49 posts, read 214,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Go to Realtor.com and type in Zip Code 19702. This is Bear, DE, but in the Appoquinimink School District, where you really want to be. This area has aGlasgow Park on Route 40, which will be nice for the family. There is also a new YMCA across from the park. Additionally, Peoples Plaza is right there and has Safeway grocery, Rite-Aid, a hairdresser, dry cleaner, movie theatre, and Home Depot, plus other shopping. You are close to doctors, dentists, restaurants, Kohls, and Walmart. Route 40 is a major road and your husband might take that APG.
Hi and thank you so much for your help!
When I type in that zip code, it comes up Newark, not Bear? Is that right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armx View Post
kjbond:

When is your intended move ... right now you can come across some good opportunities for acquisition.
Our house is on the market here in NJ now - so whenever it sells, we'll be heading down!

Old 12-31-2008, 02:52 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,234,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbond View Post
Hi and thank you so much for your help!
When I type in that zip code, it comes up Newark, not Bear? Is that right?
Yes, it probably does come up Newark, but it is actually a Bear address in Glasgow. I know that doesn't make sense. What is important is that you are in the Appo School District. If your children will attend public school, this will be very important. The local elementary is the Olive B. Loss school in Brennen Estates, an excellent school. Christ The Teacher is the Catholic elementary school and is located on Route 40 in the area where you will be looking. Also, there are quite a few churches in the area, but the Catholic church is new and is St. Margaret of Scotland.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:01 PM

604 posts, read 2,001,301 times
With apologies to SXMGirl, she meant to write 19701 for the zip code for Bear. And most of the landmarks she described are located in the area generally known as Glasgow (directly south of Newark) but is covered by the zip code for Bear. It is confusing but it is the result of embargo on new post office building in the early eighties.

You will be pleasantly surprised to know that in addition to your auto insurance rates the property taxes in DE will be much lower than those in NJ. I am sure you are aware of the BRAC packages available from New Castle County and State of Delaware for BRAC brass, dont forget to check'm out.

Let me know if you would like to have any additional info. in specific.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,757 times
Hi -- I've lived on and off in Delaware all my life (mostly on), and I would honestly say I would not choose Delaware to live to commute to APG. I currently work in Bel Air, MD (about 8 miles south of Aberdeen), and live near Old New Castle. My commute takes about an hour each way, and I pay 8.80/day in tolls. Maryland has an EZPass commuter discount where the 5.00 toll to cross the Tydings Bridge over the Susquehanna in MD only costs .80; Delaware does not have any discount for their tolls, so it's 4.00 to leave and enter the state. This averages around 200/mth just in tolls. The traffic on 95 isn't too bad compared to the traffic on Route 40 (which some posters have commented on that your DH could take to work). Route 40 traffic in Delaware is HORRIBLE. It gets better in MD, but it's still annoying with all the stoplights.

Just as an FYI, there are a few new neighborhoods in North East, MD, and there is always Bel Air down south. North East is a bit cheaper for Real Estate, but the schools in Cecil County aren't as great as the ones in Harford County. Delaware schools are overall not comparable to MD schools.

Good luck, and I hope you find a wonderful new place to live!!

Old 01-18-2009, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robb29 View Post
Hi -- I've lived on and off in Delaware all my life (mostly on), and I would honestly say I would not choose Delaware to live to commute to APG. I currently work in Bel Air, MD (about 8 miles south of Aberdeen), and live near Old New Castle. My commute takes about an hour each way, and I pay 8.80/day in tolls. Maryland has an EZPass commuter discount where the 5.00 toll to cross the Tydings Bridge over the Susquehanna in MD only costs .80; Delaware does not have any discount for their tolls, so it's 4.00 to leave and enter the state. This averages around 200/mth just in tolls. The traffic on 95 isn't too bad compared to the traffic on Route 40 (which some posters have commented on that your DH could take to work). Route 40 traffic in Delaware is HORRIBLE. It gets better in MD, but it's still annoying with all the stoplights.

Just as an FYI, there are a few new neighborhoods in North East, MD, and there is always Bel Air down south. North East is a bit cheaper for Real Estate, but the schools in Cecil County aren't as great as the ones in Harford County. Delaware schools are overall not comparable to MD schools.

Good luck, and I hope you find a wonderful new place to live!!
Thank you so much for your honesty! I think we have pretty much ruled out Delaware and are focusing on Cecil County MD. Thanks again for your response!!

Old 01-18-2009, 04:28 PM

26 posts, read 85,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robb29 View Post
My commute takes about an hour each way, and I pay 8.80/day in tolls. Maryland has an EZPass commuter discount where the 5.00 toll to cross the Tydings Bridge over the Susquehanna in MD only costs .80; Delaware does not have any discount for their tolls, so it's 4.00 to leave and enter the state.
I thought you can get a $5 per year sticker for the Hatem Memorial Bridge when using Route 40? I was told this by a toll booth employee when crossing the $5 per trip Tydings Bridge on I95.

Can Delaware residents get this too - or just Maryland residents?

Old 04-26-2009, 07:53 AM

1 posts, read 2,521 times
Default have you moved?

Hello,
I found your thread and was curious about your current status? It's possible me might be looking at the same area...
Jeanette

Old 05-16-2009, 03:10 PM

324 posts, read 1,215,877 times
the Glasgow zip code is 19702 (Christiana/Newark (Glasgow))

You will find that the addresses are "Newark" though in this area as Glasgow is not a recognized "postal" town name. The same applies for many places around Wilmington that are not technically "Wilmington" but fall under the postal zone of Wilmington.

Rt 40 is only trafficy at certain times of the day and busiest where it shares designation with US 13 and around the Del 1 interchange.

To the poster that lives in Old New Castle, that is about 8-10 miles north of the Glasgow area and honestly, if I lived in Old New Castle, I'd be finding a different way to commute other than Us 13/40 through the New Castle/Bear areas (like Rt 9 to Hamburg Rd to Rt 13 quickly to Rt 71 to Old Porter Rd to Porter Rd to 896 or further down to Glasgow Ave to Old County Rd to Frasier Rd back to Rt 40 or to 213 in MD to Rt 40)

As far as the tolls are concerned, the I-95 toll for Delaware is avoided by using Rt 40 and you can get a sticker for the crossing of the Susquehanna on Rt 40 (Hatem Bridge) and avoid paying tolls for an entire year. That alone saves $5 a day...

Old 05-17-2009, 07:34 AM

377 posts, read 1,109,813 times
We are also moving from Ft. Monmouth with the Brac. We will be moving this summer. We bought a house right off Rt. 40 in Newark, De. I have small children and the schools near Aberdeen were terrible. Appiquimick schools seem fantastic. Bel Air seemed nice, but it was not much closer and it was so much more expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware