Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 12:02 PM

9,724 posts, read 14,264,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
People from Jersey can be extremely snotty about anywhere but Jersey. They hate it, but then they move and tell everybody about how many malls they had within a half an hour (as if anybody cared.)

There's not too much difference between Jersey, or PA, or DE at all. It's more how close to a city or a beach you are. I'll take you through Salem and Cumberland counties and you'll say it looks exactly like lower Delaware. I'll take you through Wilmington and you'll say it looks like Camden or Newark. I can take you down through the beaches and you'll say it looks like the shore.

The differences are that most of these people who complain were 10 miles from NY or Philadelphia, and got used to big city amenities. They move away, and suddenly it's Delaware's fault that they can't get Thai food at 2AM. :/

I say that they're lucky that Delaware is here, instead of another expensive state, because then they would have no choice but be COMPLETELY priced out of the area, instead of priced out across the river. I'm sure they would love living down south with the bible thumpers, away from major job centers, Nordstroms, and beaches. I mean, not for nothing, these people can see their old state from their new one. What more do they want?

I do understand what you're saying, Joe. It's always been a burr in the saddle and thorn in the side for us when it comes to some newcomers complaining and wanting to change everything that's here, so it's just like where they came from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 02:07 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,044,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
I do understand what you're saying, Joe. It's always been a burr in the saddle and thorn in the side for us when it comes to some newcomers complaining and wanting to change everything that's here, so it's just like where they came from.
That would SO defeat my purpose for moving in! I'm coming down because I like it just the way it is!

Old 07-07-2011, 02:13 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
That would SO defeat my purpose for moving in! I'm coming down because I like it just the way it is!
Me too! The purpose of moving to the beach is to have Delaware rub off on me, not to have me rub off on Delaware. I so look forward to watching us decompress as retirement sinks in and we become more and more Delawarean.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:16 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,044,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Me too! The purpose of moving to the beach is to have Delaware rub off on me, not to have me rub off on Delaware. I so look forward to watching us decompress as retirement sinks in and we become more and more Delawarean.
Delaware rub off on me! I like the way you expressed that. I just want to blend in and enjoy all the things I've been researching and learning about for the last several years.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:45 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,416,040 times
By the way, I didn't mean for that rant to be construed that other people aren't welcome in Delaware... as on route 13, the Delaware license plates can be outnumbered by Jersey license plates, on 202, outnumbered by PA license plates, and in Newark, sometimes outnumbered by MD license plates. We might be a little too welcoming to out of state transplants and visitors.

It's just that, with all the out of state people in our area, Delaware gets a worse rap than it deserves as being boring, because everybody has been spoiled by living in an immensely populated area, and tends to have issue with having less stuff to do. In reality, the state is more than sufficient for the residents who reside within its boundaries.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:59 AM

293 posts, read 590,394 times
I totally understand about the attitude of the people of New Jersey,I always said we should be divided in half, because of the bad attitudes of the people who visit Cape May County.I have hands on with these people being in Public Relations.The North Jersey know it all,lets changes everything,you know nothing,this is a hick town,you people dont know how to live attitude.So I guess you know what we have to go threw year after year with these people,instead of just enjoying there vacations here,it seems thats all they want to do is try and change everything here,even if there only here for a short time.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:29 PM

296 posts, read 638,520 times
seems like a group of people with control issues.

Old 07-09-2011, 02:08 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
It's just that, with all the out of state people in our area, Delaware gets a worse rap than it deserves as being boring, because everybody has been spoiled by living in an immensely populated area, and tends to have issue with having less stuff to do. In reality, the state is more than sufficient for the residents who reside within its boundaries.
LOL, some might call that a bad rap--others see it as a blessing. If obnoxious people won't come to DE because they hear it's boring--all I can say is yay! Why should I tell 'em the truth? If Delaware is a bit of a secret, that's a good thing IMO. I mean, talk about an easy way to avoid a lot of problems. I'm thrilled to see any folks who like stirring up trouble--I mean excitement--head off to some other "exciting" place. Give me a place where the front page of the newspaper talks about sand castle contests. "Boring" is code for "paradise" IMO.

Last edited by Caladium; 07-09-2011 at 02:17 PM..

Old 07-09-2011, 05:27 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,912,094 times
Yep, I'll take "boring" Delaware over fast-paced city life any day...LOL!!

Old 07-09-2011, 06:33 PM

296 posts, read 638,520 times
read a book and delaware was mentioned. last name bryson i think. he spoke of meeting a girl from delaware and couldnt think of anything to say to her. so he investigated delaware and couldnt find any information. my kids say either no one goes to delaware or no one leaves and thats why there is no real information on the state. i think its the residents way of keeping a gem a secret!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware