Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 09:37 PM

11 posts, read 26,247 times

Advertisements

Yeah, as someone who has lived in Delaware and primarily the Dover area for almost 20 years, for some people like myself, the Dover area isn't insanely boring, although for someone acquainted with a city life, I could see it.

Although, Dover isn't too far away from a place like Wilmington which has a relatively decent number of things to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 02:52 PM

30 posts, read 69,026 times
It definitely seems like an interesting place, although we understand it will be different from the Northern VA/DC area. We love the proximity to all of the cities and the beaches, as well as the "small town" charm that Middletown seems to offer...

We're heading up tomorrow morning! I'll give a full report once we return. Thanks again for all of the advice and ideas!

Old 02-13-2009, 04:11 PM

16,199 posts, read 11,672,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConsideringDE View Post
It definitely seems like an interesting place, although we understand it will be different from the Northern VA/DC area. We love the proximity to all of the cities and the beaches, as well as the "small town" charm that Middletown seems to offer...

We're heading up tomorrow morning! I'll give a full report once we return. Thanks again for all of the advice and ideas!
Good luck to you on your trip and looking forward to your report

Anytime you are considering a place......it is best to visit and get a feel. This way you will know if it is right for you.
Hope you are able to stay a couple days.

I do understand DE is not for everyone but I know many transplants that have made the move and are quit satisfied.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:19 PM

Well, we went to Middletown last weekend and checked out almost all of the neighborhoods! It's a great area to raise a family and to have a slower pace of life. Not to mention that the homes in DE cost about half of what we own now...

After much consideration and concern about our finances (considering we'll take a loss on our house), we have decided to move! Any further advice on neighborhoods in Middletown? Also, we have looked into living in the southern portion of Bear. How bad would the commute be from Bear to Dover? Thanks again for all of your advice. Everyone from DE that we have met has been incredibly friendly and helpful.

Old 02-21-2009, 06:19 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,672,476 times
Hi and thanks for reporting back

Yes De is cheaper living than most other places. That is why we moved here. Got more house for our money.

Middletown is nice. I know someone who lives there and she is very satisfied.

Good luck and I'm hoping others will chime in with their input.
anything else.......just give a hollar.

I don't know much about Bear but I can tell you the commute time between Middletown and Dover is about 20 min to a half hour.
You will be driving correct?
If so, I come right down route 1. Really easy and fast.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:36 PM

348 posts, read 1,051,610 times
I wonder if Bear is still the famous traffice trap?

Old 08-17-2009, 03:41 PM

I was back on the forums today and found my original post so I thought I'd respond!

My husband and I relocated to Dover in April and moved into a temporary apartment. We close next week on our house in Middletown! We love it here so far, although we are still adjusting to the "lower, slower" pace of life. It seems like EVERYONE in DE is friendly and will go out of their way to be helpful.

Anyway, I consider us a Delaware success story.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:20 PM

388 posts, read 998,629 times
Thanks for the follow-up report and congratulations on the move! I hope you both will be happy. Hubby and I are coming down next month to start our scouting. Seems a lot of people are in the various stages of research on DE!

Old 08-17-2009, 08:13 PM

377 posts, read 1,115,155 times
Middletown is really nice. My daughter will be going to school in Middletown. We are also living in a temporary apartment till our house is ready. We will be living close to Middletown, but it is above the canal. I drove through Middletown today though and really liked it.

Old 08-18-2009, 05:49 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,044,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConsideringDE View Post
Anyway, I consider us a Delaware success story.
Doubly happy to see this message. Happy that you've come back to let us know you progressed and happy that it's been a success for you.

Congratulations. You are a Delaware success story! Now please stay with us so you can help to create new successes for others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware