Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 08:04 PM

30 posts, read 69,011 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My husband was just offered a job in Dover. We currently live in Northern Virginia and work in DC. We have checked out the Dover, Smyrna and Middletown areas and really felt like Middletown was the best "fit" for us (a little more Northern Virginia-like, even though it's a small town).

We're really struggling with whether or not we want to leave the "city life" behind to move to DE. Although Middletown seems like a great place, we know the lifestyle will be a lot slower.

Also, we don't have any kids (yet) so I'm worried we might get bored...

Any advice you can give (or information on life in Middletown) would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 06:05 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,975,473 times
Why haven't you checked out the greater Wilmington area? It's hardly DC you know, and might be less boring than the towns of lower New Castle and Kent counties that you have explored. If you are going to continue to work in DC you would also have a much simpler journey by train living in Wilmington/burbs or Newark.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:48 AM

Interesting idea.

How bad of a commute would it be from Wilmington to Dover?

Old 02-10-2009, 12:08 PM

I'm sorry -- I somehow missed the fact that you had been offered a job in Dover. It wouldn't be practical to commute from Wilmington to Dover on a daily basis. I don't know what to suggest for you. Dover is going to be boring, Middletown is going to be boring, Smyrna is going to be boring. If you live in Middletown it will be easier to get up to Wilmington and Newark, as well as to PA, for dining, museums, events. Gosh, I think I'd be looking for work farther south/southwest in VA or in the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area, as opposed to moving to DE at your age (I'm inferring you are under 40). Overall, I find DE dreadfully dull.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:56 PM

348 posts, read 1,051,237 times
Many former Northern Virginia and DC residents are living in the area of Lewes and Rehoboth Beach and are commuting to Dover for work. There is no boredom in this area.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:34 AM

I agree if you're into the beach scene that Rehoboth and Lewes are good places to live, and I don't mean to restrict them to just the beaches -- there are good restaurants and a variety of community activities. However, everyone from DC knows of Rehoboth, I thought, and the OP was expressing a particular interest in Middletown, Smyrna and Dover itself. I assumed they weren't, for whatever reasons, interested in the Sussex County beach towns.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:08 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,669,488 times
Rehobeth is not that far from Dover. I live 10 minutes south of Dover and we often drive to the beach.
Depends on what a person is into. Not all younger people like a big scene.
One thing.....Dover is not far from Philly, Baltimore or the eastern shore (a nice place to visit in the summer)
Every once in awhile, DH and I take a ride to Annapolis for the day. Fun Trip. We drive to Chicontegue as well. Chicontegue is really 2 hours away but worth the trip.
Cape henelopen is a mere half hour away and is wonderful for beaching, biking and hiking.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:30 AM

Thanks for all of the information. We are going up this weekend to check out the area one more time before making a decision. It's pretty nerve-wracking!

Old 02-11-2009, 11:32 AM

Oh also, we aren't considering Rehoboth because we think it would be better to be closer to the cities (Wilmington, Philly, Baltimore, etc.) than farther away.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:43 PM

903 posts, read 3,504,968 times
Dover and the surrounding area has more to offer than meets the eye. Granted, not on the scale of DC, or even Wilmington and points north. BUT, depending on the OP and her hubby's interests, there is plenty to do within reach.

As others have posted, the Dover vicinity is centrally located, and within a few hours one can be back in DC, or north to Philly, or south to the quaint villages that are all over the southern part of the eastern shore. Quite a variety, IMHO.

consideringDe... have a safe trip, and let us know what you think when you return. BTW, what sort of work does your husband do? Networking with co-workers can be a great way to learn about the area, while making new friends at the same time. Good luck!

Mary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware