Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2009, 08:12 AM

21 posts, read 93,280 times

Advertisements

Hi All

kindly let me know if a person draws around 55000$ per annum in Newark,DE. After the deduction of tax..will the take home be enough for 2 people to survive comfortably? To be more precise if the take home comes upto 3500$ is it a good enough salary? We are looking for a 1BHK furnished apartment for rent & also take a car on EMI. After paying all these & meeting our daily needs, will we be able to save anything?How advisable it is to shift to Newark with the salary offered?Your suggestions in this matter will be greatly appreaciated. Awaiting response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 08:07 AM

Anyone who can guide me with the above query.....pls. This will be very helpul

Old 03-03-2009, 08:43 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,931,659 times
I'm afraid you are asking something that can't be answered. If you live very modestly you would surely be able to put money into savings. I don't think, however, that other people can venture to tell you exactly what it will cost you to live in a reasonable way (or what a reasonable way would be for you) and how much you will be able to save. I think you are instead really faced with the decision either to take the plunge into the unknown or stay where you are now. You may, of course, have better opportunities in the United States at a later date, but for the next few years the economic prospects look so bad that there will be generally fewer jobs rather than more.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:35 AM

13,250 posts, read 33,393,804 times
I agree with doctorjef. That's an intensely personal decision, and only one that you can make. Good luck with it.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:08 AM

Thankyou People...I guess you are right, its a difficult decision for us to take & hence may be all kind of questions are poping in my mind:-)
Nevertheless .. Thankyou again.
Can you let me know if Newark is a boring place to be?
My husband had been there for 2 weeks & came back yesterday. He was letting me know that there was no public transport & he had to wait for a Bus for 2hrs after which he requested the hotel people to send a cab.
I mean..how far is the beach from Newark, Delaware & what can one do in weekends?
I heard there are very few people walking on the roads & a Car is a must there.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:03 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,931,659 times
I would say that a car is almost a must in Newark and indeed in most places in America. Only a few larger cities have really good public transport. Our cities unfortunately evolved in the 20th century along lines of the individual car culture. If one were to live very close to the University of Delaware it might be somewhat feasible to do without a car on a day to day basis. However, it would still be a problem anytime one wanted to leave the immediate university area.

Having lived previously in London, Washington D.C., and even in Austin, Texas, I would say that Delaware is - for my partner and me at least - rather boring. What is there to do? Well, we have a house and garden, so during warm weather we like to work in the garden and spend time finding new plants for it and so forth. I like to go to the gym and when it's warm I like to walk outside (we happen to live in a good area for that). We go out to eat a lot, which is our main form of evening entertainment. We go to museums and special events occasionally. However, we are primarily able to live here by leaving town about once a month, going to New York, Boston, Toronto, London, etc. Financially we are able to do that. If we didn't have that kind of life I would not want to be in Delaware.

The beaches are about an hour and a half by car from Newark. That is definitely summer fun and we do go down to Rehoboth Beach several times in warmer weather between May and October. There are also many historic and interesting places to drive to on the East Coast -- you can take trips to Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, even some places in New Jersey.

I can't emphasise enough that you will need a car and you will need to get out of Newark to various places to have fun and keep yourselves stimulated intellectually outside of work.

Old 03-04-2009, 03:19 AM

Wow...doctorjef...your message really makes me feel to come over to Newark & spend the time the way you do:-))
Well...My Hubby is leaving to Newark for a period of 3mnths this Sunday & only once he is back we would plan for our permanent move.
He is planning to check out for a car & an apartment when he is there..just to have an idea. Since we live a comfortable life here, we do not want to give up those, that's the only reason I was keen on the Salary & expenditure part. I just hope things will work out well & we would get to have a similiar or better life there as we do here:-)
So..going out of the town once in a month will be of help to kill the boredom ...will keep that in Mind & hope we will be financially able to do that.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:49 AM

361 posts, read 1,942,536 times
I live in Newark and I second everything doctorjef said! I'm a grad student so you'd think I'd have plenty of intellectual stimulation, but it's still a little strange to me to have moved somewhere so small and dull. But yes, the proximity to other major cities can't be beat - in my opinion, considering I moved here from the midwest!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware