Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 06:18 AM

604 posts, read 2,010,445 times

Advertisements

Tradition...tradition ... as an american or non-indian you will be probably treated with respect beyond your imagination ...ask Parsis (zorastrians)-from Bombay; there are more of them in Bombay than their native Iran that is how much they liked migrating from their native land to Bombay .. .because they could establish little Persia with freedom than in ancient Iran.
And they have dominated major industries and businessses in India for generations.

All cities have little Italy, little poland, irish mafia so why not get used to little India .. diversity is spice of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 09:16 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,878,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armx View Post
How true, Delawhere!

You would only appreciate that if you left your country, you had a wife and a young child & let's just say your wife cannot -like several non-english spwaking europeans - could not speak the local language - english - well enough to communicate effectively.... then ..... living close to people who hail from your country becomes very important because they become your safety-net!!
for many, many immigrants it's not only about the language. most schools in europe and also in other countries teach english, so you at least get a base of 3, mostly 6 years of (british) english.
that may not be enough knowledge when it comes to a challenging job, but it's more than enough to survive (shopping, dentist, gas station etc).
when a family is moving to the states, one of both has to have a job lined up - which requires fluent english.
for the rest of the family it was/is learning by doing and NONE of the immigrants I know tries to be among other immigrant just because of the native language, they have in common.

even after 10 years here in the US my best friends are german - and so am I. it's NOT the language - none of us has trouble having conversations in english (even so german is still and will always be my prefered language).

we were just raised the same way, went through the same school system, love the same things in the US, struggle with the same things, our kids play together to keep their german active, we bring each other things from there, we are each others family, if support is needed.
it is VERY important to adjust to your new environment, because from now on this is the new home country - but the fact having others with the same origin around you helps to keep your heritage alive. remember, besides the language everything is different: religion, food, behavior, holidays, taste, music, media, tv, school system, health system, doctor visits, cars, street signs, renting/buying a home, traffic, restaurants, politics, post offices, banks ... every little thing works differently here and it takes a looooong time until you don't have the feeling of daily struggles anymore.

I am so thankful, I was able to find so many germans years ago, who made the adjustment so much easier. we ran into problems, you can't even imagine, they existed.

and - you might not know many of them - but expats being sent to germany know VERY well, what i am talking about. and they have their forum for english speaking guys in germany (Toytown Germany) as I have mine for german speaking folks in the US (USA Forum :: Index).

we are moving soon and I've already made some german contacts, which is very important to me and my family

Old 05-05-2011, 09:31 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,790,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofbavaria View Post
for many, many immigrants it's not only about the language. most schools in europe and also in other countries teach english, so you at least get a base of 3, mostly 6 years of (british) english.
that may not be enough knowledge when it comes to a challenging job, but it's more than enough to survive (shopping, dentist, gas station etc).
when a family is moving to the states, one of both has to have a job lined up - which requires fluent english.
for the rest of the family it was/is learning by doing and NONE of the immigrants I know tries to be among other immigrant just because of the native language, they have in common.

even after 10 years here in the US my best friends are german - and so am I. it's NOT the language - none of us has trouble having conversations in english (even so german is still and will always be my prefered language).

we were just raised the same way, went through the same school system, love the same things in the US, struggle with the same things, our kids play together to keep their german active, we bring each other things from there, we are each others family, if support is needed.
it is VERY important to adjust to your new environment, because from now on this is the new home country - but the fact having others with the same origin around you helps to keep your heritage alive. remember, besides the language everything is different: religion, food, behavior, holidays, taste, music, media, tv, school system, health system, doctor visits, cars, street signs, renting/buying a home, traffic, restaurants, politics, post offices, banks ... every little thing works differently here and it takes a looooong time until you don't have the feeling of daily struggles anymore.

I am so thankful, I was able to find so many germans years ago, who made the adjustment so much easier. we ran into problems, you can't even imagine, they existed.

and - you might not know many of them - but expats being sent to germany know VERY well, what i am talking about. and they have their forum for english speaking guys in germany (Toytown Germany) as I have mine for german speaking folks in the US (USA Forum :: Index).

we are moving soon and I've already made some german contacts, which is very important to me and my family

Wow Queenie +1 to you, very good, for a German. lol

Old 05-05-2011, 09:43 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,878,985 times
you're so BAD

whenever someone is making fun of my english, I assure him/her, it's for sure was better than his german - that helps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of: