Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 11:06 AM

9,681 posts, read 14,153,430 times

Advertisements

Besides the cheap taxes, cheap real estate, and no sales tax, there's the advantage of living with other people from your state who've moved to Delaware. 30 Years ago, or more, "subdivision" was a new word in Delaware. You either lived in a town/city, or you lived in the country. Now, there are subdivisions of all descriptions - family, condo, manufactured, farmette, 55+ or other. Because Delaware attracts retirees, the 55+ communities are blossoming. It's not unusual for newcomers moving to those, to find people from their home state living within the same subdivision in Delaware. It does appear that newcomers gravitate to other newcomers. So it's just like their former home, only cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 09:05 PM

903 posts, read 3,493,568 times
So well said, rdlr! As I posted earlier in this thread, we aren't quite in the "retirement" sector YET, but as we meet people out and about, we find what you said to be quite true. Perhaps it has a lot to do with folks retiring to DE, and being SO happy here, they are spreading the word "back home". Funny, we are even meeting people once in a while who like us were in NC and are now in DE. NC had a great reputation for being the new Florida for retirees, and several clusters have developed over the last 10 years or so there. But other than the milder winter weather, retirees in NC get very few perks. DE certainly does take care of their "seniors"! Mary

Old 03-22-2010, 03:00 PM

177 posts, read 683,806 times
It's a sad day when you have to explain what American Values are!

Old 03-23-2010, 11:13 AM

24 posts, read 86,953 times
I relocated here from New York about two years ago with my family and unfortunately have to put our house on the market to move back to NY for a job.

The development I live in has the best values ever -- it's all about people helping people. I live in a small development near Milford and just 4 miles from Slaughter Beach. So we have very low taxes, a nice quiet setting and a great location that is close to everything. The most unique feature of my community is the mix of retirees and families with kids. It's great because the retirees love the sounds of kids playing and they often help watch the kids or at least keep an eye on them. They often have their grandchildren in town during the warmer months and they instill great values on our children so we never have to worry about who our kids are hanging out with.

I love the neighborhood so much. Everybody shares the values of helping one another and looking after one another which is lost in many places. It is heartbreaking to have to put our house on the market because we love it so much and fear we'll never see these kinds of values or people in our lives where we are going.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:38 AM

407 posts, read 960,900 times
No need to explain. People will read what they want to into anything. "All American Values" is not a negative term, at least not to me. I grew up in NYC, and lived an a diverse neighborhood and went to diverse schools. My friends were diverse and still are. Freedom is what American values means to me. Nothing wrong with America or American values. It's a shame people have to make it a negative thing. You're definition below is perfect by the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzt View Post
Appears I stepped on someone's sensitivities when I used the term All American values. I never thought that term would need explaining but in today's society there are some folks who are looking for hidden meanings in everything I guess. It's simple. I grew up in New England in a diverse community, attended a diverse public school systerm, sermed in the most diverse group in the US, the US military, and served the public as a shopping center president and owner of a retail outlet, then as a non-profit exec for more than 20 years serving the same military service members I served with professioally for 22 years. If I have something to say, I say it as I believe it without hidden meanings. All-American means love of country, family, friends, the flag, our government and the willingness to stand up and be counted for what you say or do.
Smiling at strangers, welcoming new folks into your neighborhood without pre-conceived notions or opinions. Apple pie, the American flag, mom, etc. Hope that clears up what I meant. I live now at Heritage Shores Active Adult Community in Bridgeville which is typical small town East Coast America as I have always known it. The community of 400 homes is diverse and open and as friendly a place as I've ever been. There's more to do for most retirees here than there is time to do it, but at your option, no programming no requirements. We don't care where you come from or what you look like just that you're a good neighbor and friendly. Not too much to ask. But the flag flies throughout the community with pride and we participate in our local community, government and greater Sussex county. If you wish to retire to that kind of place, check us out. You'll find All-American values are the same ones you were taught in school in the 50's before the Left Coast changed American education forever.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:34 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,920,353 times
A lot of preaching to the choir, it would seem; or a very vociferous "amen corner".

Old 03-28-2010, 01:47 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,905,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RehobothBeachDela_where View Post
It's a sad day when you have to explain what American Values are!
Yeah, so many people now associate it with stupidity and hypocrisy since our experience with the past administration.

It's a shame that it means being able to think and hold opinions and to state them freely to some and to others it means marching lockstep and listening to media to pick up talking points to trample other Americans with.

It is a shame that flag represents the freedom to do the right and decent thing to some and to others it is only 'my country, right or wrong' and incendiary speech.

I think, today, 'American values' might mean different things depending on who's saying it. People do get the wrong idea sometimes.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:05 PM

407 posts, read 960,900 times
I think this thread should continue, hopefully someone will take me up on this. It could be valuable to some people around here. Myself included.
SO....what are some more ADVANTAGES TO RETIRING IN DELAWARE?
I went to DE yesterday (from LI NY), and found it interesting. I looked around Wilmington and Newark. Gave me some insight for the future, as far as neighborhoods etc. Next trip, I plan on staying longer and going to Dover and South of Dover. In my gut, I know I will like it better there BUT I also want to saty closer to the North as we have family up here...so we'll see. We still have some time before we decide exactly what we will be doing.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:33 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,149,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtees4 View Post
I think this thread should continue, hopefully someone will take me up on this. It could be valuable to some people around here. Myself included.
SO....what are some more ADVANTAGES TO RETIRING IN DELAWARE?
In southern Delaware we have a great quiet laid back life style........
To me that one sentence says it all. Taxes are cheap . Don't forget if you are not paying for local services as local police you may wait awhile until the State Police get to you.
I haven't seen anyone mention auto inspections. You drive thru the state inspect inspection line and pass or fail . In states where this is done at dealerships or repair shops they have a financial advantage to find something wrong so they can fix it.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:48 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,920,353 times
Unfortunately there is a possibility that the auto safety inspections performed by the State of Delaware will be ending and the franchise for those handed over to car dealerships. There is a proposal in the General Assembly to do that. It got some press coverage two or three months ago and it's possible that it got posted on the DE News Maybe You Can Use thread here -- I'm not sure without reading back through that thread. In any case, if you are concerned about this, you might want to contact your DE state rep and senator. I like the current system we have here and the proposal to put it in the hands of dealerships alone sounds terrible. If they privatise it, 'twould be better IMO to open it up to all service stations, licensed garages and businesses that would just do quick inspection (this is how it works in Texas, so there's plenty of competition).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware