Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 08:17 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,547,566 times

Advertisements

I'm tired of reading and hearing about Delaware being boring
That thread has been on here since I came to this forum.
CD folks have got to read something positive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 08:21 AM

699 posts, read 2,894,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
I'm tired of reading and hearing about Delaware being boring
That thread has been on here since I came to this forum.
CD folks have got to read something positive
I totally agree with you virgode. Please read my post on the boring thread.

We live in Kent County and absolutely love it here. There is plenty to do for all ages. The favorite thing I like about here is the wide open spaces, the nature parks and walks. The close proximity to the beaches. The sun rises and sunsets are awesome both visible from our back deck! Fields of green, blue skies, birds, sea gulls and hummingbirds, pride in ownership, wheat fields, corn fields, waterways and bridges all over, fishing docks with boat ramps. Pj's on the wharf, just sittin' on the dock of the bay. These are just a few of my favorite things!!!!!

Old 05-15-2009, 08:56 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,658,548 times
Favorite things about Delaware:

I love Rehoboth Beach......It has that Fun Park for the kids, and its so inexpensive that two kids can have fun on rides for two days for hardly nothing. It has a great open-air Chess game......that the twins love to play. Everyone helps, and roots for you....

The cobble stone walkways there, with the little shops.

I love Angola Bay......renting a home on the bay, then canoeing or crabbing from the dock

I love Bethany Beach....Its quiet, peaceful, with the most adorable little town area.
Just inland from Bethany in Ocean View...Bear Trap Dunes...Fantastic place.

You have great golfing in Delaware

Nothing beats Cape Henlopen State Park for ocean swimming, biking, and natures joys.

You can take the ferry to Cape May and have a great day of shopping and spending time at the Victorian Oceanside

Delaware is only a skip to Ocean City, MD where a great summer can be had by all.

All the fun restaurants........All the fun Outlet shops........

There is not much of a greater life then sitting on the dock of a bay.......or on the bench by that ocean......( soothing and wonderful)

I love, that I have family there.......whom I love!

Old 05-16-2009, 07:18 AM

271 posts, read 995,324 times
virgode, when I first started reading here, I found several lists of things/places people enjoy in this state. Do a search.

Many people choose the same things: the beaches and beach towns, all have their own appeal and exploring is fun. Up north, Winterthur is fascinating, and just over the state line (PA), a few miles away, visit one of the most beautiful gardens you'll ever see--Longwood Gardens--and any time of year is fine. Various museums, mostly in New Castle county, one or two in Kent County, are worth several visits.

Each to his own, when it comes to boring. I'm always glad when someone moves to Delaware and likes it. I'm always concerned, if we like that someone, that after a few years or so, they will be ready to move on. We've been here more than 30 years, and our favorite time was when our children were small. Not so much since then.

The happiest people I've met are those who have family near them. I haven't met many Delaware natives--wish I had--but with their long time knowledge of the state, along with family, those few I have met seem content. Wherever you're from, If family is close enough to visit often and easily, that can be a wonderful for all. Not the case for us.

Again, do a search!

Old 05-16-2009, 05:10 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,547,566 times
Thanks anniebleu, I've been in Delaware for at least 20 yrs, I can remember first moving to DE and living in Glasgow, since that time Newark , Glasgow , Bear area has exploded. I thought it would be a good idea for any one thinking on vistiting or moving into the area to see what there is here.
For some one coming to the web site and clicking on Delaware, To see "Is Delaware really so boring" What a turnoff. For someone who's single, no maybe not for them.

Elton John was at the Carpenter Center in Newark last year. That's a pretty big deal for Delaware. There are things to do here depending on the season. I hope a few folks who have done something here they've really enjoyed will contribute to the thread. We'll see.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:14 AM

12 posts, read 57,406 times
Stoney's Pub on Concord Pike. Cool Springs in Magnolia. Quick access to Philly, and pretty quick access to DC, Balt & NYC but low housing prices. Low property taxes in Kent County. NO REGRESSIVE SALES TAX! Who could ask for more?

Downside:
Bloody state balanced budget amendment that causes firings and tax increases (and immoral gambling) at the time when citizens need jobs, money and moral stability the most (alcoholism, drug addiction, spousal abuse and serious illnesses all go up in difficult economic times).

Old 05-19-2009, 07:45 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,511,274 times
When I was a young adult in Delaware, I used to love to go to Cape Henlopen State park all by myself and take long walks on the beach. I also loved the fireworks at Slaughter Beach on the fourth of July and the annual Hospital Fair in Milford every Spring.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:57 AM

It's not everyone's thing, but Bombay Hook Wildlife Refuge is wonderful. I've been to a number of refuges in the region, and none have the variety of birds it has in the spring. It's very peaceful, has plenty of hiking spots and since I rarely make it to the tropics herons and egrets still fascinate me.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:02 PM

Another great, kinda Delaware thing - the WXPN (UPenn Public Radio Int'l station) July music festival at the Camden, NJ waterfront. 3 days, quick trip, cheap tickets, great music and environment. Probably a crowd of 3000 at any one time. Robert Cray and Steve Wynn are playing this year among others, they are still adding acts for Saturday, WXPN 88.5 FM :: Public Radio from the University of Pennsylvania We've seen Indigo Girls, Rickie Lee Jones, Patti Smith, Michael Franti and Spearhead (1st time in 10 years I've gotten the hubby to dance) and bunches of others over the past few years. We usually make a weekend of it by getting a cheap Priceline room in Philly or Cherry Hill (but we're driving from Dover).

Old 05-21-2009, 05:40 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,669,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erinys View Post
Another great, kinda Delaware thing - the WXPN (UPenn Public Radio Int'l station) July music festival at the Camden, NJ waterfront. 3 days, quick trip, cheap tickets, great music and environment. Probably a crowd of 3000 at any one time. Robert Cray and Steve Wynn are playing this year among others, they are still adding acts for Saturday, WXPN 88.5 FM :: Public Radio from the University of Pennsylvania We've seen Indigo Girls, Rickie Lee Jones, Patti Smith, Michael Franti and Spearhead (1st time in 10 years I've gotten the hubby to dance) and bunches of others over the past few years. We usually make a weekend of it by getting a cheap Priceline room in Philly or Cherry Hill (but we're driving from Dover).
Camden waterfront or Penns landing are both great.
Penns landing has a lot of fun stuff going on in the summer.

I personally don't mind the drive but I tend to drive back and forth with being from Philly.
Priceline has great deals. We have a two week vacation to New England in the Fall . Got all my hotel rooms through priceline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware