Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 11:01 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,007,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Sorry about that, I meant a mountain bike. I was pretty well lubricated at the time I got the ticket and supposed I could have easily been taken in for public intox but I was cooperative and did my best sales job trying to talk my way out of it but the guy wouldn't budge.
Riding a bike while "pretty well lubricated"? You're lucky you didn't swerve and cause another vehicle to swerve and kill someone. Pay the ticket and learn from this. You got away cheap and lucky!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 11:05 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,919,461 times
If I understand correctly, it was the cop who was on the bike and the OP who was walking with a beer.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:23 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,009,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
If I understand correctly, it was the cop who was on the bike and the OP who was walking with a beer.
That's correct, I was walking and the cop was on the bike. I wasn't doing anything stupid like kicking over trash cans, just walked out of the house and forgot to put my beer down. Honest mistake but $250 is a little excessive for that.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:52 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,447,771 times
Pay the ticket and learn from the experience.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:57 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,919,461 times
As you see, lenniel, the morality squad here is quite vociferous. If that's any indication of the powers that be in Dewey, you are SOL.

Nonetheless, Dewey is a tourist destination and they might be willing to cut you some slack if you act very contrite and plead complete ignorance of the strange and frightful ways of Delaware. But I doubt it.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:55 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,447,771 times
It's not about judging anothers morals, when your wrong, you got to own it and move on.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:55 PM

310 posts, read 773,500 times
I think you already made the wisest choice with a technical legal question by coming to City Data. Bravo!

Old 06-29-2009, 04:57 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,009,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltdontcare View Post
I think you already made the wisest choice with a technical legal question by coming to City Data. Bravo!
Thank you for your contribution. I don't think this is a bad place to get some advice b/c there very well could be lawyers, cops, etc on here that could provide some free advice that would save me some money.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:58 PM

8,584 posts, read 9,057,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Nonetheless, Dewey is a tourist destination and they might be willing to cut you some slack if you act very contrite and plead complete ignorance of the strange and frightful ways of Delaware. But I doubt it.
It worked for me, twice, several years apart (read my previous post). One a parking ticket and the other an open beer on the beach.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:26 PM

53 posts, read 321,026 times
Quote:
As you see, lenniel, the morality squad here is quite vociferous. If that's any indication of the powers that be in Dewey, you are SOL.
It has nothing to do about morality. Public intoxication is a nuisance in Dewey Beach. An open container law is just one tool that law enforcement officers use to combat the problem. Dewey is know for its night life. If the alleged moral authority were that concerned, they would do more to combat alcohol than an open container law (imo).

FYI. The State of Delaware is one of the few states that does not have an open container law in its criminal title (title 11). In title 21 (motor vehicle), a motor vehicle driver can not be in possession on an open container; however, the passengers can.

So what's going to happen if you don't pay it? A capias is going to be issued for your arrest in the State of Delaware. If you are stopped anywhere in the State, you can be arrested on the spot and brought forthwith to any judge or magistrate. If you are driving, that means your car could be towed as well. If there is a recommended bail (typically the fine amount), the judge or magistrate will usually impose it. So if you don't have anyone to post your bail, you could end up going to nearest correctional facility until your trial. That would be the worst case scenario.
Could Dewey Beach contact your resident state and prevent you from having your driver's license renewed? I'm sure it's possible. If you ignore it and your resident state does not renew your license, post back so we know .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware