Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 10:12 AM

324 posts, read 1,220,638 times

Advertisements

It's not a looking for what was had but a recolection on what was in your life and what is now.

In my case, sure, Philly was convenient BUT I don't want to live there, violence and budget issues aside, the city wage tax and high car insurance rates were enough incentive to get me out of there.

Just like the folks that have lived in one area their entire life complain about life and how it was and how everything is getting busy around them (believe me, I've heard it from lifer locals in my area when they built a new traffic light on Rt 40 - people said that they remember no stop lights from where Rt 40 splits from Rt 13 all the way to Rt 896 and then no more until you hit MD), newer residents are going to complain about the lack of conveniences that they may be accustomed to. It's just going to happen...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 09:42 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,415,765 times
Phlydude: I got ya... you were trying to give them realistic expectations. But, I just think people in NYC/Phila (maybe Boston City,) don't take the change well and blame it on Delaware, just because it is usually a step down for the Northeastern Megalopolis (as is Jersey and CT.)

I was sitting on a bus going from Phila to Manhattan a couple months ago, and all I heard for a good half hour was one dude from Brooklyn telling another dude from Brooklyn how much Delaware sucked, nothing to do, too quiet, etc... If I knew the dude, I'd have told him that there's a damned good reason you've been living in Delaware, and I'll bet you it's because it's cheap, and you can't afford New York anymore.

But, I guess nothing's quite like home used to be

Old 01-03-2010, 09:34 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,978,728 times
Again, an old thread, but you really MUST differentiate between the City of Wilmington and all of the suburban areas that people commonly, collectively and inaccurately refer to as "Wilmington". It's very hard for people living or coming from outside the immediate area to get their heads round this distinction, even more so because if you live in northern New Castle County but are talking to someone who lives out of the area you are likely to refer to where you live as "Wilmington" for the sake of simplicity, even though you might actually live in Hockessin, North Wilmington/Brandywine Hundred, Greenville, Centreville, etc, etc.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:54 AM

12 posts, read 25,990 times
I cannot imagine anyone wanting to leave Boston for Wilmington. I admit that Northern Delaware is night and day better than Southern Delaware but please, visit first. Do not make that mistake. Please check out the crime rate in Delaware, the lack of education and the culture shock. Some states are so much more expensive than others, but there is always good reason. We learned that the hard way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware