Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 06:55 AM

9,719 posts, read 14,257,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post

I keep watching for all the beautiful flower beds in Dover, and have seen none.
Nice to see a few flowers planted by the City of Dover, in front of City Hall. It's the strip between Loockerman St. heading East & West. Also, the King's Highway and State Street point has been planted. At least we have some flowers, but nothing to match the displays we've had for many years.

Meanwhile, the Loockerman Way Plaza project is moving along, to the tune of $3M. That's the section of land where the old Kershaw's Hardware Store was, now vacant. This walkway will link North Street and Loockerman Street. Here's the link:
http://www.doverpost.com/news/x18329...gets-under-way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 07:04 AM

242 posts, read 533,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Just wondering how much you're paying for PYO strawberries? I'm a few hours north of you all and I've been picking my own for just the last week but am thinking of going to the PYO place for quantity if I can guess a few hours of clear skies. I always think of picking strawberries around the time that school ends, which is usually mid-June so it seems weird to be picking now in mid May!
It might be too late now, not sure. We went to pick strawberries at Filasky's in Middletown a couple of weeks ago and paid about $7 for 3 lbs.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:07 AM

242 posts, read 533,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
My only complaint is I got a spotty rash on my arms from the leaves, but it went away within a few hours.

The lady at Filasky's said that that is common, and just to scrub your arms afterwards. She said its from the barley.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 06-08-2012 at 08:18 AM..

Old 06-07-2012, 07:26 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,186,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcraig10 View Post
It might be too late now, not sure. We went to pick strawberries at Filasky's in Middletown a couple of weeks ago and paid about $7 for 3 lbs.
Of course it sounds like fun but I'll stick with our local supermarkets. Food Lion has been at 2lbs for $4 the past 2 weeks.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:57 AM

Default Special Olympics - Delaware

The Special Olympics Torch Run began Wednesday evening, and the kick off ceremony in Rehoboth Beach was awesome. When the run is complete, the Delaware Special Olympics games begin. Law enforcement officers (local, municipal, & state) throughout Delaware pass the torch from one team to another, and run the entire state, from bottom to top.
Here's the route, which takes 3 days to run.
http://www.sode.org/images/uploads/d...MAP_2012_1.pdf

Old 06-10-2012, 03:23 PM

Default CD Friends

It was our pleasure to be invited to a very special event today, a Bat Mitzvah, something very new to us. I became acquainted with an outstanding couple on City Data in 2007-2008, and their family moved from NY to Kent County, Delaware a short time later. It was a huge change for them, from NY City to a country road location here, where there are very few Jewish families. So, on their second day in Delaware we had a Welcome to Delaware Breakfast for them where they met some locals. This family has been such a joy, and they've definitely enhanced our lives. I've always said that the only way to grow, learn, and be happy, is to surround oneself with people of all ages, and from all backgrounds. Diversity makes for a full and interesting life.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:01 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,910,629 times
Wow...never been to a Bat Mitzvah! And I agree with your outlook on life for sure, rdlr! Diversity is a key component in keeping my life fulfilling as well. Living where I do, there are so many people from different areas and backgrounds that I would miss out on a lot if I just chose to associate with others who are like me and close to my age. Most of my neighbors are retired transplants from the northeast, and they really are wonderful neighbors.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
Wow...never been to a Bat Mitzvah! And I agree with your outlook on life for sure, rdlr! Diversity is a key component in keeping my life fulfilling as well. Living where I do, there are so many people from different areas and backgrounds that I would miss out on a lot if I just chose to associate with others who are like me and close to my age. Most of my neighbors are retired transplants from the northeast, and they really are wonderful neighbors.
Yes, Liz, the Bat Mitzvah was an educational experience for us. I was so impressed with what the young lady learned at Hebrew School evenings in Dover, while also attending public school during the day. She has a beautiful voice and her chants were just lovely. The Rabi came down from New York for the day and brought Jewish bread. During the ceremony, he explained each step. All in all, just an outstanding day with interesting people - newcomers, visitors, and locals of all ages.

I agree, diversity is the spice of life, and I think it keeps us young at heart! I just love where we live, too. Such variety!

Old 06-12-2012, 12:56 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,035,099 times
Hi everyone! I just started reading this thread so i have many pages(& years!) to catch up on. I am researching a move out of NYS which brought me to CD long ago. Sometimes I'm not quite sure just what info i need & find chat threads can put an idea in my head I hadn't thought of.

Charly and Elizamary, I remember you from other threads...I used to go by piperspal but when all my pc/email changed I couldn't access my acct. so I just notified a mod and changed it.

The "problem" w/ CD is that I have so much info, the number of states I'm considering is large. Charly your mention of "16 states that might fit" caught my eye.

So thx for this thread that i will eventually catch up to as I continue research on CD!

Old 06-12-2012, 12:57 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,035,099 times
Sorry Charley....just noticed I spelled your name wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware