Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2009, 04:46 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,007,848 times

Advertisements

I wonder what they do during a tornado watch at the 55+ communities ... JUST KIDDING!!! <smiling>

I'm glad to see the cool weather also. I know that it means leaf raking season will be upon us soon. That task is no fun at all, but I intend to enlist the assistance of my kids this year. There's no way that Marlene and I will be able to do it on our own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 05:37 PM

699 posts, read 2,885,502 times
My son lives in GA where they actually have a siren that goes off when there is a tornado warning and everyone heads for their basements. They take these warnings seriously and often, when my son is out of town, my DIL has to take all three kids out of bed in the middle of the night and head for the basement. The last one was a false alarm, she was not a happy camper that time.

We had something in our neighborhood, here in Kent County, a few months ago that appeared to be a mini tornado. Only involved six or eight homes . My one neighbor said it sounded like a freight train coming through. Some lost siding, many of us had our deck furniture transplanted two houses away, our newly planted trees,that day, were unplanted and a large wooden swing set was found three homes away smashed to pieces.

We weren't home at the time, only 20 minutes away where it was sunny and calm. We had no clue this occurred until everyone was outside when we arrived home. Our neighbors were nice enough to replant our trees for us. We are accustomed to strong winds but this was different. Even our tomato plants were twisted.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:57 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,630,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
I wonder what they do during a tornado watch at the 55+ communities ... JUST KIDDING!!! <smiling>

I'm glad to see the cool weather also. I know that it means leaf raking season will be upon us soon. That task is no fun at all, but I intend to enlist the assistance of my kids this year. There's no way that Marlene and I will be able to do it on our own.

Seriously Charley......I was wondering too

I'm also glad to see the cool weather in DE but not the rain.

Supposed to be great this week.

And
Summer has ended quickly. It's like I blinked and it was gone. Sometimes I wonder is it me or is time speeding on by too fast????

Old 09-12-2009, 03:06 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,007,848 times
Quote:
I was hoping for "Hi Charley - got your letter. I'm still figuring things out here but I hope next week to contact you and we'll continue the conversation. Thanks for your continued interested in Roesville". Thirty seconds is all that would have taken.
After not receiving a response from Wednesday's letter, I wrote another this morning. A read-receipt was returned. No response.

I'm a little disillusioned at the moment. I was 99.999% sure that Roesville was going to be the place we landed. Today I spent a little time looking at the "other" websites. Bummer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by from PA View Post
We had something in our neighborhood, here in Kent County, a few months ago that appeared to be a mini tornado. Only involved six or eight homes . My one neighbor said it sounded like a freight train coming through. Some lost siding, many of us had our deck furniture transplanted two houses away, our newly planted trees,that day, were unplanted and a large wooden swing set was found three homes away smashed to pieces.
Pretty scary. Living in New York, I never gave a thought to whether insurance covered you for damage from tornadoes. Might have to give that a look.

Old 09-12-2009, 04:43 PM

144 posts, read 359,207 times
Quote:
After not receiving a response from Wednesday's letter, I wrote another this morning. A read-receipt was returned. No response.

I'm a little disillusioned at the moment. I was 99.999% sure that Roesville was going to be the place we landed. Today I spent a little time looking at the "other" websites. Bummer.

Pretty scary. Living in New York, I never gave a thought to whether insurance covered you for damage from tornadoes. Might have to give that a look.
Charley, I am sure Rich will get back to you. Can't imagine why he has not. It could possibly be that with the transition of Kathy leaving and Rich taking over till the new sales director comes in. We have not given up on Roesville....but as you said it is good to check out other websites. I think I am going to write him and ask him about the "For Rent" sign.

Old 09-13-2009, 02:58 PM

391 posts, read 986,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I wonder if it wouldn't be better to keep this thread less about 55+ communities and more for general Delaware chat. It would be hard for someone to jump in here with a different topic without feeling like they were busting up the party. Just a suggestion.
General Delaware chat would be a great thread.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:10 AM

144 posts, read 359,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaroleM View Post

CaroleM, what a great idea!!!

Old 09-14-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeD View Post
CaroleM, what a great idea!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaroleM View Post

Hi Agree.........there are already several 55+ threads. Be nice just to have a DE chat and leave the 55+ alone. Just my humble opinion.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:22 PM

Anyone go to the Pow Wow in Millsboro this weekend.

We went sunday but would have gone Sat if there was no prior committment.

Due to all the rain......the ground was muddy and wet. The sun did shine in the afternoon.
May go back next year but on sat. We missed the parade.
There were many vendors selling an array of Indian crafts and food.
Didn't see bison burgers but I am told they have them at pow wows.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:33 PM

391 posts, read 986,299 times
I've gone to the Pow-Wow 3 times. That's enough for me. I always enjoyed their succatash soup; delicious.

Went to Sambo's for steamed crabs; heavy and full of sweet mustard. Crab eatin' is the best in Aug and Sept. Now it's oyster season so we're heading for JPs for oysters in a few weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware