Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 07:46 PM

2 posts, read 4,775 times

Advertisements

Considering a move to DE. I have been previously, buy did not get too much of an opportunity to really get out and about. From what I saw, Newark seemed really nice, while Wilmington (what I saw) had some nice areas and some bad areas. Didn't get to see the lower part of Delaware so I have no idea about that part of the state, but I am really interested in the northern part of DE.

We are a family of three (Mom, Dad, Daughter who is 7) currently living in the south. Move will be a result of accepting a position opportunity within my company (haven't accepted yet). Not sure of buying immediately, so may rent initially. Interested in 3/2 home as this is what we have now. What is the price for lease and buy? Looking for a nice quiet neighborhood with good schools and low crime. Would like to have a yard for the little one to play in and we have a small dog. We have two vehicles. Want nice and quiet, but have the convenience/proximity to the hustle and bustle. Nightlife is not a big concern as we are both mid/late thirties, but would like the convenience of dining out, movies and such.

Done a little research, but it is hard to have an idea as I am unfamiliar with the different areas, and do not know what may be a bad or a good area.

Any information will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 08:16 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,973,551 times
In terms of greater Wilmington, I'd suggest you look at 19803 (Brandywine Hundred - "North Wilmington"), 19807 (Greenville/Westover Hills/Westhaven) if affordable for you, or 19808 (Hockessin). None of these are within the city limits of the City of Wilmington, which is a very small part of the total suburbia commonly called Wilmington. Brandywine Hundred/19803 will be the least expensive area, with decent properties in the 300'sK and some properties that you might consider that could be under 300K.

I'm not qualified to talk about Newark really. There are cheaper areas around Newark (relative to Wilmington) but I like living in the Wilmington suburbs.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:26 AM

604 posts, read 2,010,286 times
Wilmington areas mentioned above are all right - especially 19808 because you may be interested in areas where your daughter might find friends in the neighborhood ... it is just an assumption on my part, that this may be important to you.

If you agree, then I would say that Newark area in addition to the 19808 will offer abundant choice for location. Zip codes 19807,19803 include a lot of well established neighborhoods and you may just have to do more "fishing" for the right neighborhood.

Another consideration could be the location of your job and minimizing the commute - not that the commute here is as bad as in large cities.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:54 AM

The Westhaven and West Park developments of 19807 are quite populated by families with young children! For that matter, there are quite a few families with young children living in the less pricey housing stock of Westover Hills. Further, the developments of Brandywine Hundred certainly include many families with children at home. I don't think Hockessin is anything special in that department. Further, some of the housing stock in Hockessin is situated on lots that aren't very neighborhood-like or easily accessible to movement of children between houses.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:26 AM

2 posts, read 4,775 times
Thanks for the replies. I was doing some more surfing, and Newark seemed attractive for being equal distance b/w Philly and Baltimore. Also checked the newspaper online, and there seemed to be a good bit of advertisement for housing in MD. This hadn't necessarily been a consideration before, but reading some info on Elkton, maybe so. I am accustomed to travel for work now, so commuting is not that big of an issue as I would still have to do some traveling all over DE. Couldn't be much worse that what I do now, which could be as much as 2 1/2 hrs one way.

Just want a nice place in a community that is family friendly with good schools, and a neighborhood that may have other 7 year olds for my daughter to ride bikes with. 300k is out of my range.

Any additional info is appreciated.
Thanks
Jack

Old 08-29-2009, 11:58 AM

Be aware that your property taxes will be lower in DE. Also no sales tax in DE. I'm not sure how the state income taxes compare, but MD is known as a high tax state. DE's income taxes are at about the median level nationwide. You can easily google a state income tax chart that will give you a state by state comparison.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:39 PM

16,199 posts, read 11,667,888 times
tax chart from retirement living.

Taxes by State

has a lot of good information

Old 08-29-2009, 07:29 PM

604 posts, read 2,010,286 times
Drjef makes valid points. Intent of my post was not to cotradict his but just to add another wrinkle -perspective that I thought may be important to OP.

By far, choosing to live in Delaware is a better idea than any other state in the vicinity.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:47 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,543,386 times
Newark, Middletown.
Middletown has some new townhouses, under 300k.
Middletown is still in the growing process, family oriented,
close to Newark for shopping also close to Md.
Schools are good.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:20 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,685,656 times
I lived in Newark in a small development of townhouses (1,800 sq ft) called Country Place, on Cashio Mill Rd. It was great, walking distance to the University of Delaware. They are going about $220,000

Google or Zillow any house in the 300 block of Chickory Way, 19711
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware