Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2009, 07:38 AM

5 posts, read 21,905 times

Advertisements

I'm going to retire in a few months and am considering a move to DE. I'll be 62 but can't afford the assn. fees of 55+ communities. I'm a fairly youthful 62 and enjoy interacting with younger and older people alike. I'm looking for small town/main street atmosphere. I've read that unincorporated towns/cities don't have local taxes. I plan to buy a house outright but still need to keep expenses low. I want to enjoy living and explore the state. Staying in PA will not allow me to do that. Where's the best locality for my situation? I'm thinking central DE, Kent County may be good. I think southern DE would be too hot & humid in the summer months. Also, I need to consider heating and cooling costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 08:10 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,977,716 times
I don't really think the temperature differences between the three counties are great enough to really matter. Sometimes it's actually cooler in Sussex than in New Castle County. Others may disagree, but I wouldn't let this be a determining factor. As to humidity, the whole state is quite humid throughout the summer.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:42 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,344,730 times
When my BIL and SIL first retired, they moved from Rhode Island to Hartly, DE, which is just a few miles from Dover. They bought 6 acres and built a home. They stayed for 5 years before moving to Myrtle Beach. Hartly is country living and they really liked living there. It is close to shopping but very quiet. I don't think there would be enough of interest for most people and if I was retiring to DE, I would move closer to the beach. You might want to look at the M towns going toward the beach. Many types of people move in that direction and you would probably meet many interesting people. There is land for sale if you don't want to pay an HOA.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:31 AM

699 posts, read 2,895,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ from PA View Post
I'm going to retire in a few months and am considering a move to DE. I'll be 62 but can't afford the assn. fees of 55+ communities. I'm a fairly youthful 62 and enjoy interacting with younger and older people alike. I'm looking for small town/main street atmosphere. I've read that unincorporated towns/cities don't have local taxes. I plan to buy a house outright but still need to keep expenses low. I want to enjoy living and explore the state. Staying in PA will not allow me to do that. Where's the best locality for my situation? I'm thinking central DE, Kent County may be good. I think southern DE would be too hot & humid in the summer months. Also, I need to consider heating and cooling costs.
Good move!!! We moved from PA 3 years ago and have no regrets. We received a letter from the county stating our taxes might go up with an apology and an explanation. They did go up. $5. per year!!!

In PA we lived in a nice townhome in Montgomery County. We had a nice pool, clubhouse, tennis courts and our fees per month were only $145.
Our taxes on the other hand went up considerably every year we lived there. We are so spoiled here in DE that it would be very tough to return to PA now. Our utilities and insurance costs are also more reasonable here.

We are in a family community of single homes and are enjoying the freedom of not being tied into an HOA. We are self employed and can live anywhere. We visit with family and friends frequently in PA and travel quite a bit but just love coming home to DE.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:40 AM

84 posts, read 333,758 times
For a small town/main street area Camden/Wyoming is a very cute town. It is centrally located in Delaware and very close to shopping. It is about 45 minutes to the beach and 50 minutes to Wilmington. Also, further south is Harrington, which is also a nice town. I am originally from MD and moved to a small town here in DE. All of our neighbors are retired so we have built in security! We live on a main street in town and love the atmosphere. When we first moved here we swore we were in Mayberry. Our neighbors brought us fresh baked cookies on our first day here!!

Old 09-07-2009, 11:45 AM

604 posts, read 2,011,004 times
Depending on your interests other than the beach New Castle Co. offers quite a few engaging opportunities to keep one's mind alive and active. ... quite a few people who are retired attend life long learning school at the Univ. of Delaware. Here is link, Academy of Lifelong Learning | Professional and Continuing Studies | University of Delaware , if interested.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:28 PM

445 posts, read 1,435,900 times
We had many of your same goals and decided to locate near Odessa, DE, south of the canal but still in New Castle county. County taxes only and kids in the neighborhood were also our goals. For us however, we found we didn't go to the beach from the 4th of July to Labor Day anyway, so we wanted to be closer to Newark and all of the offerings at UD.

We are 30 mins to the UD campus, 60 minutes to Lewes and love it. 3 miles to Wal-mart, Lowes, etc, only 20 minutes to Dover Mall or Christiana Mall. Good luck in your search.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:01 PM

5 posts, read 21,905 times
Thank you all so much for your info. Its been very helpful. I have a friend whose parents have a place near Georgetown. They usually go there only in the summer but she and I plan to use it as home base for a weekend next month while she shows me some of the localities I may be interested in.

Old 09-09-2009, 03:33 PM

903 posts, read 3,505,461 times
Hi LJ from PA, I see someone else chimed in about Camden/Wyoming; Magnolia is charming as well. Be sure to let us know what you think when you return from your visit; there are several small towns and quite a bit of unincorporated areas in Kent and Sussex County. FYI - Georgetown is the county seat for Sussex County, but enough inland you can get a bit away from the heavy beach traffic in season.

Glad to know you are visiting with someone familiar with the little nooks and crannies in DE... there are quite a few that are just off the beaten path(s) aka Route 13 and/or Route 1. Also, welcome to the DE forum!

Mary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware