Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2009, 07:52 AM

699 posts, read 2,894,297 times

Advertisements

Are you happy with your lawn service company. If so please let us know.
Although our lawn is nice and thick and green, thanks to mother nature,we now have more weeds than ever. Clover is now creeping in and we have loads of dandelions and plankton and other things as well. We picked a small company this year thinking we would get better service. Not the case. Please advise someone in the Dover area, we are definitely changing for next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 09:25 AM

271 posts, read 995,258 times
We haven't used a lawn service for quite a while, but when we wanted a good recommendation, we checked with All Seasons and got their advice. I can't remember who they recommended, but you might give them a call. Post if you find a good one.

About "plankton." Think you're going to have to get a marine biologist for that!

Old 09-07-2009, 12:34 PM

177 posts, read 686,815 times
I would recommend using Vigoro Ultra Turf™ Turf Fertilizer with Weed Stop® available at Home Depot.

It's a slow release fertilizer & it will take care of your weed and clover problems, I have been using it on my lawn & some of my customers lawns with great success the last couple of years. Their website had some great information on lawns & their products too!

Maybe your lawn service is cutting the lawn too short too & there are a lot of benefits for leaving the lawn a little longer during the summer heat. Between 3 and 4 inches cutting height is recommended and will crowd out weeds, shade the grass from burning up, stays & looks greener, etc, etc, etc.

Good lawn services are hard to find and most of them are just mow & blow type guys with a pick up truck and a mower on a trailer who want to be outta there in 20 minutes and charge a hefty price for it, most work on high volume.

I do about 2 to 3 high end lawns a day with special care to attention to detail on every lawn. It might take me twice or three times as long as most good companies will take but I can't do it any other way, it's a passion!

Good Luck

Last edited by RehobothBeachDela_where; 09-07-2009 at 01:26 PM..

Old 09-08-2009, 03:37 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,040,657 times
A thought from New York. The problem described by "from PA" is the same problem we are facing as well. We've been thinking about changing our lawn service company as well - and we use a national brand name. In the back of my mind, I had been thinking that maybe with all the rain we had this year, the weed issue was more a function of the rain than the ineffectiveness of the company.

As I look at different lawns on my block, all handled by different companies, they all have the same problem with weeds that I have. Now, did all the companies just become incompetent at once, is the chemical being used ineffective this year, or is it the rain? Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware