Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 05:50 PM

46 posts, read 110,443 times

Advertisements

Update on our visit with Mary Ellen at Spring Arbor in Middletown. Our visit went well. I will update you further once I know more. Sorry to be so vague but it is all I can do right now. We still love Heritage and we also very much like Champions. We expect to be back in Delaware next weekend for more viewing. It takes a lot of time to get this right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 10:46 AM

144 posts, read 361,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drnorman View Post
Update on our visit with Mary Ellen at Spring Arbor in Middletown. Our visit went well. I will update you further once I know more. Sorry to be so vague but it is all I can do right now. We still love Heritage and we also very much like Champions. We expect to be back in Delaware next weekend for more viewing. It takes a lot of time to get this right.

Looking forward to your update! It is great to hear that you're doing all you can to make the best informed decision for yourselves. Best Wishes!

Old 12-12-2009, 11:00 AM

388 posts, read 998,727 times
In an attempt to keep this thread open and active, I have been curious about the couples who have already made their plans for DE after retirement. We have read of Spring Arbor, Heritage, CC, NP and others as the final winner for these people. I would like to ask them, now that they have signed on the dotted line and the search is over, if there was one thing they stressed over too much. Was there one aspect or facet of the search that now in hindsight, did not matter that much? I am asking because sensory overload does happen during these searches. Thanks!

Old 12-12-2009, 11:34 AM

515 posts, read 1,692,683 times
I'm a little late to the party. We currently live in Northern Virginia, and until recently thought we would go elsewhere in the state for retirement. Now we're looking at Delaware.

My #1 question for all of these places: can we fence in some or all of the yard?

Our lives are controlled by two spoiled dogs who need a fenced in yard, as we do not like the invisible fence option.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:52 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,425,493 times
I'd be surprised if they'd allow fences for the basic reason when they mow the lawns, they mow several at once and to go around fences etc, just isn't practical. If your dogs are small, maybe something like an exercise pen set up in the yard w/b allowable (unattached to the house, something that is temporary and can be put up and taken down in 2 or 3 minutes just for the benefit of giving him room to run unleashed) but it's nothing you'd want to leave your dog in unsupervised at all as some can climb or even jump them (they come in various heights). Believe me, I'd love a fenced-in yard too (or small section). Friends in a 55+ community in another state take their dog regularly to a dog park and they enjoy that a lot, have made a lot of good friends (so has their dog, LOL). Mine are a little older and I dont see them frolicking at a dog park but who knows. If anyone knows of a place that allows fences, please let us know.

Old 12-12-2009, 04:17 PM

16,199 posts, read 11,673,339 times
I don't know of any 55+ communities that allow fences. May want to check an all age community.

Got to walk the dogs.

Old 12-13-2009, 05:48 AM

135 posts, read 298,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little eggplant View Post
In an attempt to keep this thread open and active, I have been curious about the couples who have already made their plans for DE after retirement. We have read of Spring Arbor, Heritage, CC, NP and others as the final winner for these people. I would like to ask them, now that they have signed on the dotted line and the search is over, if there was one thing they stressed over too much. Was there one aspect or facet of the search that now in hindsight, did not matter that much? I am asking because sensory overload does happen during these searches. Thanks!
Little E, as I have stated many times, it took us two years to make this decision. Our biggest stress factor was Florida or Delaware...sounds crazy as they are so different in all aspects. We just couldn't see ourselves in Florida 12 months a year (much as we looove it in the winter).
After we chose DE, next came where in DE...location..just couldn't be in the middle of nowhere. Then came builder reputation/style/quality of homes (and price!). Clubhouse/pool had to at least begun construction. Next, reasonable HOA fees.
This is to give you a sense of how we arrived at Champions. It is such a personal decision and in this thread we all try to share our experiences to help each other. If we had to do anything over we would have done this a year ago and stopped thinking "what if this is a mistake"? We are both very happy with our decision....we go the 29th to start the interior selection process. The folks at McKee are wonderful!
As far as a fence..I have never seen one in a 55+ community. However, at CC they have land set aside for future amenities. One of those being talked about is a doggie area. Don't know if it will come about..apparently the residents have the say.
Good luck...I know we had many sleepness nights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware