Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 06:18 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,418,446 times

Advertisements

It's not sounding great to me either - although there's many good renters, we wouldnt want to rent our house (here) out b/c too many things can go wrong - not to mention in Roesville, a relatively new community, it means one less home has homeowners living there (that said, I know there are established 55+ communities where there are many rentals w/ little-no apparent problems).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 07:58 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,040,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
It's not sounding great to me either - although there's many good renters, we wouldnt want to rent our house (here) out b/c too many things can go wrong - not to mention in Roesville, a relatively new community, it means one less home has homeowners living there (that said, I know there are established 55+ communities where there are many rentals w/ little-no apparent problems).
I'm guessing that when we finally are ready to move in (assuming it's Roesville) more than half the homes will be sold. If it's one or two renters, it won't be an issue. If it's a significant percentage, I think I'd have a problem with it. I'd have to look very carefully at the conditions of the homes rented as opposed to those owner-occupied.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:29 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,668,582 times
Someone was telling me of a friend that moved in a community with no clubhouse and pool in place.....
The builder went bankrupt and they were out of luck with the amnentiies.

If the builders are smart, they will build the clubhouse and pool first. If not........then they don't have the confidence in their project either.
I understand SM just sold 5 more houses. That is quite a good bit in these days.

As far as renting..........We had a meeting here about that. Some residents were upset. I'm not really up on this topic and we only have 1 or 2 homes that are rented or will ever be rented. I did not attend the meeting???

Old 09-20-2009, 04:29 PM

144 posts, read 360,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susieC View Post
Also, these models are professionally decorated. Why don't they just do a minimal amount of decorating...it's very difficult to picture my furniture there. We've actually looked at a finished home (empty with few upgrades), the same design as the decorated model, and didn't recognize it as the same home. I would imagine there's a lot of profit in the upgrades.
At Independence, the heat vents are in the ceiling (no basements). Since heat rises, I asked how the heat reaches the floor. The answer was "it just does"....hmmm. Another couple touring the home with us said they had that problem and had to install a ceiling fan and reverse it in the winter. Always something!
Hi SusieC, yes there is always something to give special thought to, or look into more. I think a crawlspace is nice to have if you can't have a basement. What are your feelings on that? Most of the 55+ communities we looked at are on a concrete slab. I don't remember where the heat ducts were located at the Roesville models. What were your thoughts, after visiting Independence??

Old 09-20-2009, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post
Someone was telling me of a friend that moved in a community with no clubhouse and pool in place.....
The builder went bankrupt and they were out of luck with the amnentiies.

If the builders are smart, they will build the clubhouse and pool first. If not........then they don't have the confidence in their project either.
I understand SM just sold 5 more houses. That is quite a good bit in these days.

As far as renting..........We had a meeting here about that. Some residents were upset. I'm not really up on this topic and we only have 1 or 2 homes that are rented or will ever be rented. I did not attend the meeting???
Elizamary, I think you're right on target "if they don't build the clubhouse and pool first, then they don't have the confidence in their project!

Old 09-20-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
Thanks DeeD. I appreciate your sharing the answer with us and I'm glad he wrote back, but I'm not happy with the answer. It's been my experience in New York that renters don't take the same care of the property as owners and I don't know how happy I am that Roesville will allow renters. That's something that I'll have to think about and discuss with him when I'm there in November.

I now have mixed feelings about this. My husband told me the same response that you had, now I am having second thoughts about this rental thing, upon giving it more consideration.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post

Honeycrisp, you're right "one less home has homeowners living in it".

Old 09-20-2009, 04:45 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,040,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeD View Post
I now have mixed feelings about this. My husband told me the same response that you had, now I am having second thoughts about this rental thing, upon giving it more consideration.
We should probably check to see if ALL the 55+ communities are the same way.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:01 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,418,446 times
Ordinarily one or even two homes having renters would be a drop in the bucket but as there's so few owners there as it is, it's definitely something to consider. Wish we had a crystal ball to predict how many will be sold in the next few months, realistically probably not a lot as it's over the winter. I also wish we had a crystal ball so we'd have a better idea of what we personally will be doing (state), LOL - sometimes I think warmer is better and other times I think a change of seasons is the way to go (and I do like the fall and don't mind the winter). We definitely want more activities but not necessarily a ton of activities. Good medical care and closeness to a decent hospital is important too. Looking forward to hearing other's opinions and going down ourselves which unfortunately won't be for several more months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeD View Post
Honeycrisp, you're right "one less home has homeowners living in it".

Old 09-21-2009, 04:01 PM

699 posts, read 2,894,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
We should probably check to see if ALL the 55+ communities are the same way.
I haven't been following this thread that closely but I was just wondering if anyone knows if these homes are for rent by the builder or for rent by the homeowner. In other words, is it possible that someone went to settlement and then something happened that they could not move in? Wouldn't it be better all around, in this case, for the home to be occupied rather than sitting vacant? Another thought is that in any planned community, if the exterior maintenance is part of the monthly fee, then you know that at least the outside will be cared for professionally. I would check on the amenities though, If they are not on schedule, I would not commit to anything until they are at least in the works.

Our builder has a sister tract further north which was to have a pool and clubhouse and it's been four years now and nothing has been built. This is a family neighborhood of single homes but the same principal applies. Those families have been paying dues for amenities not even in the works yet. I'm sure glad we didn't choose to live there. So one really needs to be careful that you won't be paying for future amenities when it is uncertain how long you will be awaiting them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware