Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 04:40 PM

2 posts, read 4,711 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am a middle age person considering employment in Wilmington (social service oriented work) I'll be coming there with my hubby and 2 dogs. No kids.(all grown up).
I don't have the financial resources to buy a home right away, but eventually. I have to sell the one in PA (Wilkes Barre) first!
I am needing info on:
short term housing (that allows pets) (furnished good - but not necessary) -
apt/home/condo rental - I am partially physically disabled (walking limited) so not going to be able to do 2 story places or anything other than first floor type residence/apt. I'm ideally looking at the 800/850/mos range upward if necessary to $1100/mos -- prefer situation with minimal other bills (i.e. utilities paid or majority paid). Am I going to find anything with my needs/barriers?
I have to continue to pay some bills at my other home, so financially going to be limited for a little bit until I make sure the job is AOK and Wilmington is AOK. I don't want to commute, I'd prefer living close to my workplace..... a loft type environment is AOK as well - both of us are artists and have our own studios in our current home.
I'm originally from Phoenix, AZ (30 plus years) moved to PA 2 years ago.... love big cities. No racial or lifestyle hangups - there are good and bad in all...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 01:45 PM

604 posts, read 2,011,371 times
Magick:

You didn't say what is the definition of short term? Generally, leases are for one year. At the rent range you mentioned furnished homes are almost non-existent. Is your house in W_B up on the market or you plan to put it on the market once you make arrangements somewhere else e.g. Wilmington?

Old 10-13-2009, 01:22 PM

20 posts, read 51,925 times
I really thought about moving to Wilmington... But I do not wan to move to an area where I will have to be worried about my safety at my house. I was really interested in buying a house on 4th street, but that might be too close to the sketchy areas as described above. My co-workers have also said its a sketchy area.

Will now look into the nicer areas. How is the cools springs area?

Old 10-13-2009, 08:34 PM

604 posts, read 2,011,371 times
Have you considered ninth ward? or do you want to be within walking distance of downtown?

Old 06-15-2010, 12:33 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,127,192 times
My brother lives off MLK Blvd just off I-95. I have a permit to "carry a concealed weapon" and never considered to carry it where he lives. I have been to his home probably a hundred times when I lived in PA just 5 years ago and as of last year his home area is still OK. He lives in a newer home within a lot of older homes.

Real Estate:
My brother paid almost 100k just around 15 years ago for his new townhome. It may be worth the same or a little more nowadays but every area everywhere is taking a hit. I use to live in Neewtown Square which is on the boarder of Chester County and Delaware County. In 2003 my home was appraised at 450K but I couldn't get a person to view the home for 385k. Anywhere near that price was non existant except for a 5-6,000 SF Brand New home. When I sold it in 2006 I got 255k and it was really nice but the time was rough to sell and I needed to sell because I had 2 homes and everything attached to ownership for both homes. I am glad I sold.

I would consider Wilmington Delaware in a heartbeat because I like the area and the homes are OK for their price. There area homes for rent on the same street as my brother and I guess they rent for around $800 a month.

God Bless our Veterans and Troops.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware