Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 11:44 AM

103 posts, read 233,418 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in Delaware - Wilmington. On Elm Street, in between Lincoln and Union. I have fond memories of the place, with all the wonderful neighbors we had. We had a tight neighborhood, and some of still keep in touch although we are scattered throughout the country now.

I left Wilmington for college in 1981 (Virginia), and pretty much moved to other states from there.

My immediate family members still live in Delaware.

I spent many years in Minnesota and then shortly to New Mexico, before moving back to the Midwest in Omaha. But. those New Mexican vistas and mountains are making me move back to that state in about five months.

So, I ask, for those who have been in Delaware for pretty much all your lives: If you had a choice, and I've had many - made some good ones, some not so good - would you have stayed in Delaware or would you have wanted to wonder what life may have brought in a different part of this country.

It has been said once you get "out West" there is no going back. And, I can probably agree, however what draws you to staying in Delaware - a good job, family, beaches, close proximity to DC and NY?

I'm just curious.

By the way, my father still lives on Elm Street. And, I have to admit I never thought growing up I would live as far away from Wilmington as I have, and probably will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 07:59 AM

310 posts, read 779,283 times
In a heart beat. I've been here in the Millcreek, Pike Creek, Hockessin area since 1959. As soon as the kids are out and settled, We are out of here.

Not safe any more and too crowded. It makes me sick every time I pick up the paper or try to drive anywhere.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:07 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,686,226 times
We are in Magnolia Kent County and I can safely say....the crime here is no where near the amount of crime in Philly.
As soon as I retired......we were out of Philly.
Would of loved to move to the burbs but too expensive.

DE offers a good life style for retired folks.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:29 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,885,220 times
We moved to delaware 7 years ago (from overseas). since we got our permanent residence ship (finally ....) and don't depend on our current company anymore, I can't wait to move.
school are ok, but I miss diversity, cultur (could not find a single nice greek restaurant e.g. in whole delaware so far - it seems there are almost only chains around) and after some research I am convinced, Delawares water and air quality is more than bad - and the cancer rate is high.

we live in middletown, which is nice and we found lots of great friends here, so I don't complain about the folks here at all.
and - there is not too much to do, it's always quite a drive to go to a nice museum, a great beach or skiing.
we pretty much saw everything around here and it's time to move on, I guess.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:49 PM

Thank you for your responses. From what I can tell, I could probably agree it is not safe, like I felt safer while growing up even in the city. Most of those I went to high school with live in suburbs now, but some do live in the city.

The Delaware and Wilmington I knew growing up sure has changed. And, there is a saying you can't go back. I could probably agree with that.

As for being crowded, no doubt that exists. There are probably 10 to 20,000 people more in Wilmington than when I was growing up, but the city's physical geography can't expand.

As for water and air quality, no doubt that is a problem. I know the air is cleaner in the places I lived in in Minnesota and New Mexico. Albuquerque is different from what it was 20 years ago, I'm told, and everyone talks about crime in ABQ (that is everyone from other states), but I felt no unsafer in Albuquerque than I know of crime in Wilmington and Philly.

There is definitely crime in Omaha - and there was a mass murder (8) in a shopping mall two year ago here, when I moved to New Mexico from Minnesota, but I will be returning to ABQ in about five months. Despite the ills of the city, for an outdoor person like me (to climb, hike, and navigate around boulders and avoid stepping on rattle snakes) New Mexico hopefully is my final destination on Earth.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:51 PM

And, yes, I would think the lower counties of Kent and Sussex (western Sussex that is) would be a draw for retirees - safe, quieter, less traffic areas). It is true if you have the money, than some places in Philadelphia suburbs would be safer, like Chadds Ford.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:52 PM

656 posts, read 1,358,409 times
Good post. I am actually in a similar situation. I have been living in Delaware all of my life and recently graduated from the University of Delaware last year. I am in the process of looking elsewhere to live now. As of right now I am looking to move to Los Angeles since I applied with the LAPD there. I have also applied down in Fort Worth Texas which seemed very nice as well.

Reason why? I want to try something new and experience some new things. Delaware is great and all, but it's pretty much always going to be the same thing, not much is going to change in the next 20 years just like much hadn't in the past 20 years.

Reasons to stay would be family, friends, etc however. I figure, if I don't move out of DE now I never will, and I can always come back if I don't like it on the other side...

Old 11-23-2009, 07:59 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,590,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofbavaria View Post
Delawares water and air quality is more than bad - and the cancer rate is high.
I asked this question in this forum about the cancer rate in Delaware awhile back and the "gazillion" dollar question remains: Is there's really a risk involved living in Delaware coincides with a possible higher chance of getting cancer than if one lived in some other state?

I'm concerned because my parents are thinking of moving to Delaware if they sell their home in Northern NJ.

It seems and I could be mistaken that you're at least partially concerned about this too.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:06 PM

656 posts, read 1,358,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
I asked this question in this forum about the cancer rate in Delaware awhile back and the "gazillion" dollar question remains: Is there's really a risk involved living in Delaware coincides with a possible higher chance of getting cancer than if one lived in some other state?

I'm concerned because my parents are thinking of moving to Delaware if they sell their home in Northern NJ.

It seems and I could be mistaken that you're at least partially concerned about this too.
It just seems like Delaware has a very high cancer rate for the population size. I think it depends if you are living near the old dupont factories and what not as well. I wouldn't really base your decision on it though, its not a HUGE concern, especially if you haven't lived here your whole life.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:27 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,590,786 times
An article on cancer clusters from The News Journal April 24, 2008.

"Eight cancer clusters discovered in Delaware"

Eight cancer clusters discovered in Delaware | delawareonline.com | The News Journal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware