Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2007, 01:23 PM
hdt hdt started this thread

2 posts, read 11,385 times

Advertisements

I work in MD, but I currently live in Newark, DE. I am contemplating a move to Elkton, MD, but I want to stay as close to the DE/MD border as possible.

The only reason I would want to move to MD is to save money on taxes and living expenses because currently I have to pay a non resident fee. I would probably still do all my shopping in DE to avoid sales tax.

Does anyone have any info or websites on the following for MD and DE:

1) Property Tax
2) State Income Tax
3) Additional fees: Non resident fee, and county surcharge for MD
4) General cost of housing for Elkton, MD and Newark, DE

Basically I'm trying to find as much info as I can to crunch the numbers and figure out which place would be cheaper to live in.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 12:36 PM

460 posts, read 2,421,907 times
Amazingly my house is 8 miles from the MD/DE border. Schools are better here than Delaware and my neighborhood is amazing. Friendly helpful neighbors all good people. We moved here just for the same reasons. How much were you looking to spend? I know we felt the housing in DE was not as nice as what we could build here. With no more sewer permits anytime soon, the houses here retain value.
Send me an IM if you wish.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:07 PM

25 posts, read 186,348 times
If you move to Cecil County your 1.25% non-resident tax will be replaced with a 2.8% county income tax, not to mention other taxes that will be higher. Also, be advised that Maryland actively seeks out sales tax evadors, and shopping in Delaware and not voluntarily send in the 5% sales tax to MD counts as evasion.

Old 06-08-2007, 04:35 AM

460 posts, read 2,421,907 times
We pay a 1.5% resident income tax in PA. But there is credit for any tax you pay to another jurisdiction.

RDC why would you pay MD sales tax on things you buy in Delaware? Do you mean large purchases like tvs? NJ once tried that and it never worked. Unless they follow you around and watch you buy a pair of socks etc. Sounds like a real hoot to me.

Old 06-09-2007, 07:17 AM

25 posts, read 186,348 times
Unfortunately, Maryland is actively pursuing collection of sales tax on Delaware and internet purchases. They find out about it through shipping manifests at weigh stations (in a variety of states) or when they audit someone and look at their bank and credit accounts. Maryland once tried stationing undercover cops in Peoples Plaza and Christiana Mall, but they were reported as trespassers and that was not repeated. The NewsJournal ran an article about the efforts NJ, PA, and MD were taking to ensure their residents paid sales tax on Delaware purchases. PA admitted doing it, but they were more selective on who they attempted to collect from. Sending a bill for $1.32 sales tax on a Delaware purchase isn't worth it to them, but if you are repeated found to be buying in Delaware, they might audit you and then penalize you for failure to pay on the collective whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of: