U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2011, 05:50 AM

3 posts, read 41,255 times

Advertisements

We just learned that my 4 year old son has an abcessed tooth that can no longer be saved. We were advised by one dentist to have it removed, and by another one to simply open it for the abcess to drain and then wait until it falls out on its own in 6 years.

The advantage of extracting the tooth, I guess, is that there will no longer be a risk of another infection. The disatvantage is that the narrowing of this space may affect the normal eruption of the permanent teeth to come, with the subsequent need to have them straightened.

Any advice on whether we should have the tooth removed or not?

Thank you so much and greetings from Holland,

Ayla
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 05:55 AM

44,257 posts, read 56,927,724 times
Can't they extract it and then leave a spacer in to keep other teeth from moving into the spot?

Old 01-04-2011, 07:11 AM

I guess they could put in a spacer, but I feel that may be too much trauma for a 4 year old!
I am not sure?!

Old 01-04-2011, 09:32 AM

13,253 posts, read 39,199,677 times
A dental spacer would probably be less trauma than the tooth extraction itself. It's a 4-year-old - no matter what you do, it'll be traumatic at the moment. Definitely ask the dentist about space maintainers, it's a pretty common thing for kids who lose their baby teeth early (for whatever reason). You're gonna want to move on that abscess asap though, no matter which you choose to do.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:13 AM

Thank you guys! It seems we are now leaning more towards the extraction, still worried about the space. However, I just learned that in case of a primary first molar (which is my son's damaged tooth), a space maintainer may not be necessary. Is this true? Anyone have any advice on this?

Old 01-04-2011, 02:47 PM

19,864 posts, read 60,060,743 times
Just make sure he is knocked out for the procedure. Laughing gas or whatever they use for conscious sedation. Just a local shot will traumatise him even more!

Old 01-06-2011, 11:08 AM

914 posts, read 4,167,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayla-Holland View Post
Thank you guys! It seems we are now leaning more towards the extraction, still worried about the space. However, I just learned that in case of a primary first molar (which is my son's damaged tooth), a space maintainer may not be necessary. Is this true? Anyone have any advice on this?
I would probably go with the dentist's advice on whether or not the spacer is needed. To be honest, you could make the most careful decisions in the world for your child and still end up with a kid with messed up teeth. I'd definitely go with a decision you are comfortable with, you could even get a second opinion, but there probably isn't a fool proof right or wrong answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health