Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 06:42 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times

Advertisements

Both of my parents smoked and they both had all of their teeth when they died......I am not worried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 08:09 AM

3,074 posts, read 4,723,918 times
DENIAL
D=Don't
E=Even
N=NO (Know)
I=I
A=Am
L=Lying

Old 07-08-2011, 08:11 AM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
As a smoker and someone petrified of ever losing my teeth, this was a very interesting read.

And...now I want to know..what happened? Did the OP quit smoking? Did she get her cow bone? Has she lit up since? Is there a happy ending to this? Anyone? Bueller?

Old 07-08-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
DENIAL
D=Don't
E=Even
N=NO (Know)
I=I
A=Am
L=Lying

I heard lying makes your nose grow and your teeth fall out.....too bad for you.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:55 AM

672 posts, read 2,112,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Both of my parents smoked and they both had all of their teeth when they died......I am not worried.
That's just adds to my point.

Your parents' "good teeth genes" got passed on to you. You got lucky.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Ann789 View Post
That's just adds to my point.

Your parents' "good teeth genes" got passed on to you. You got lucky.
Maybe, maybe not.

One thing for sure. My parents did practice good oral hygine and regular dental visits......and taught me to do the same.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:04 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,723,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I heard lying makes your nose grow and your teeth fall out.....too bad for you.
Thanks, Pinocchio

Old 08-12-2014, 11:50 AM

1 posts, read 2,012 times
I got a bone graft done for an implant and three wisdom teeth pulled. How long is it recommended that I wait to smoke cigarettes again? I usually smoke 5-8 cigarettes a day so I'm not a pack a day smoker I dont know if that matters .

Old 08-13-2014, 02:30 AM

1,656 posts, read 2,778,843 times
There is no "approved" time frame that makes it safe to start smoking again. Nobody will ever tell you it's OK to start smoking. Except Annie53. Even after the gums heal, the bone graft is still remodeling and healing over the next several months. Then when the implant is placed, all the previous concerns still apply as the implant heals for more months. Even long-term, smoking can shorten the life of an implant.

I place implants and bone grafts frequently but not as much in smokers now that I think about it. I simply let the patient know that the success rate is lower which means they might be pissing their money away. I give an 18-month guarantee on implants where if it doesn't work (normally have a ~96% success rate) then I will put a new one in at no extra charge. However, I do not offer this guarantee for smokers. I rarely outright refuse to place an implant in a smoker as long as they are informed and accept the increased risk.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:06 AM

62 posts, read 81,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Well, I had posted about needing one tooth extraction and now I need two! They are both in visible areas and I'm not happy about it at all. My student dentist can make me a thing that will have two fake teeth that I'll have to wear all the time (sort of like a retainer with teeth - yuk!). Thing is, she is telling me she cannot do the implants as long as I continue to be a smoker. Yes, I do want to quit but not under these circumstances.
So my question is...has anyone kept on smoking and had a successful dental implant? They don't come cheap, but it's also really hard to quit smoking.
Try using e-cigarettes. They have all of the flavor, nicotine and identical smoking experience of a regular tobacco filled cigarette, without any harmful effects. I have been using mine for 2 years and have had NO objections to them by my doctors. In fact, my Pulmonology Doctor recommended them.

I tried a tobacco cigarette about a week after exclusively using ecigs, and could not stand the taste of it. When with smokers, I'm not tempted to smoke tobacco - I'm perfectly satisfied with my clean little ecig.

You may have to try different brands before you find one you like, but most local smoke shops have samples to help you choose.

Just give it a shot for 10 days. If nothing else, you will save money.

peep
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health